Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

Members of the public can go to this right?

I might swing by

Got an email:

header.jpg

"Best wishes for a safe and happy holiday season

from the team at Mirvish + Gehry Toronto.

Stay tuned for exciting announcements coming in the new year."

Wow!! Gehry's Eight Spruce Street, in Manhattan, picked up the Emporis Skyscraper of the year award. We could have a future winner on our hands. :D

Is that the new render?

That's not a rendering. That's just one of the concept maquettes dressed up for the holidays.

We will have a report coming from the public consultation shortly though that does show some evolution of the design.

Now if the wrapping paper denotes curved metallic forms Gehry is famous for, you'd see a pretty amazing design with them giving away to rectilinear buildings. That would transition better between the podium and the towers.

AoD

These buildings look like the contents of my waste-paper basket. I kind of like it though.

They should integrate the Anderson Building into the development, and not just its facade. There's just no reason to lose it with its ornate terracotta facade. At the end of the day, it's not sophisticated city building to engage in such destruction. That's something that the Toronto of the 1950s would entertain--the B city in Canada. Now we should expect Mirvish to build the Gehry complex around our beautiful and historical buildings like the Anderson Building. Let people see that we're not just a city with an interesting present, but a colourful past as well. The city without ornate old buildings will always seem to be missing something next to the cities that have it. Today we have it, and many emerging don't. Tomorrow, we may destroy the interesting things we have ourselves and make the city look like it has no past.

Wow!! Gehry's Eight Spruce Street, in Manhattan, picked up the Emporis Skyscraper of the year award. We could have a future winner on our hands. :D

I'm hoping the Mirvish project will be more dramatic but it does look interesting.

F8BEC9DB-BB7A-4121-93A5-E0DDB8B0F5F7-1731-0000016C800918F4.jpg
76 story, 267 metres

Last edited:
They should integrate the Anderson Building into the development, and not just its facade. There's just no reason to lose it with its ornate terracotta facade. At the end of the day, it's not sophisticated city building to engage in such destruction. That's something that the Toronto of the 1950s would entertain--the B city in Canada. Now we should expect Mirvish to build the Gehry complex around our beautiful and historical buildings like the Anderson Building. Let people see that we're not just a city with an interesting present, but a colourful past as well. The city without ornate old buildings will always seem to be missing something next to the cities that have it. Today we have it, and many emerging don't. Tomorrow, we may destroy the interesting things we have ourselves and make the city look like it has no past.

For this particular proposal, I would disagree......in my opinion, what we are getting here carries more importance to the city and its future, than the preservation of the Anderson building would, and what is most important is that we ensure that Gehry's artistic vision not be compromised...in most other cases I would agree with you, but for this particular proposal, what we are getting so outweighs what is there now, that the sacrifice is worth it...imho

For this particular proposal, I would disagree......in my opinion, what we are getting here carries more importance to the city and its future, than the preservation of the Anderson building would, and what is most important is that we ensure that Gehry's artistic vision not be compromised...in most other cases I would agree with you, but for this particular proposal, what we are getting so outweighs what is there now, that the sacrifice is worth it...imho

And my appended critique would be: why Anderson? Just because it's terra cotta? As I've suggested before, it may actually be Eclipse Whitewear that's the true "historic" star of the block. (And maybe more to the point, just Anderson would be a pathetic tokenism.)

Back