Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

It is a little sad how things keep spinning round and round. I don't consider myself in the "preservationist" camp so much. I want to see this project made workable, not killed, nor imposed without due consideration. (And I won't even dignify the notion that our skyline is lacking with a response. It's a) superficial and b) absurd. Also c) not a reason to build something that will improve it's silhouette on postcards.)

Adma is right that those pictures of the warehouse don't show anything. If this was an architecture competition, obviously M&G would win, but it's not. A barn can be a designated heritage structure and so can a house. The mere fact that it's a typical construction can justify its designation. I posted the provincial guidelines a few pages back so I won't do it again but suffice it to say that those pictures wouldn't mean much at a Conservation Review Board hearing, and the fact that a Tim Hortons is in it now means even less. As I said earlier, even an abandoned building can be of significant heritage. Present use is meaningless. Nobody here has to defend them. Rather, the onus is on M&G to explain why they should be torn down.

I'm not saying their entirety needs to be protected but getting into a pissing match about how pretty or useful any of us think they are is beside the point. They were designated in a legal process and the owner did not object. That is the context in which Gehry and Mirvish have to design their project. Someone upthread mentioned that 500 years from now, a 500-year-old M&G will mean a lot more than 600-year-old warehouses would and until you really think about it, that does kind of sound about right. But it misses the whole point and in a city that's only 200 years old, it's a slippery slope. If someone suggested building condos over the Roman Colosseum site, it would be an easy discussion for all of us. Our heritage isn't so old, nor so grand. But even in ancient cities like Rome and Jerusalem there are "boring," and "unremarkable" buildings, some of which probably house the local equivalent of Tim Hortons, that are significant because they are typical and because they're just still around.

We're not Rome or Jerusalem but that doesn't mean we have no heritage of our own. If everyone can take a deep breath, watch the process and then judge the results, it would probably be more constructive.

EDIT: Just to add this superficial example of what I was talking about. There's this building up in the historic village of Richmond Hill, or rather there was, called Lorne Block. If you'd gone to see it about 10 years ago, you'd have seen a crappy, whitewashed building housing a XXX video store. You'd probably notice it had some nice gables on it. Well, it turns out this 1880s building was where the town council had its first meeting. It also turned out that the owners did such a bad job preserving it that it had to be torn down, despite efforts to save it. In this instance, the developer was good enough to build an exact replica that's there today. It differs from the present example in all sorts of respects but those who are derisive of the warehouses' heritage value might stop to consider how beauty is in the eye of the beholder and how little you can glean just by looking at a building.

Last edited:
They were designated in a legal process and the owner did not object. That is the context in which Gehry and Mirvish have to design their project.

You keep repeating this statement. First of all, designated structures can and do get demolished as part of the "process", so no, M&G do not "have" to work within that context at all. The City can simply review their application to demolish and approve it, or Mirvish can appeal that decision at the OMB.

Secondly, I'm inferring that the designation was not done simply without Mirvish objecting...I'm saying it would never had been done if he hadn't requested it.

Why would these particular warehouse buildings be designated? Is it because they hold some sort of historical, architectural or any other kind of significance? No. The city's Heritage Preservation Services is largely a reactive process. It generally designates properties when "listed" properties apply for demolition permits.Why did Mirvish want them designated...he obviously has never been interested in properly restoring them, hence the whitewashed, black & white signage. The only reason these buildings were designated is because Mirvish was after the 40% tax rebate.

I don't blame him for doing that, as it is a smart business move, and the value of those buildings (and hence their tax burden) has increased considerably to the point where the rents don't justify valuable King street frontage. I also don't feel that sorry for him, as he put himself in this position.

I don't fall under any particular heading...if I were, I suppose it would be "City Builder". Preservation is just one part of the larger process of city building. Every building cannot be saved in the city building process, nor should it, as then we couldn't be "city building". So the only way to move forward is to evaluate every loss by what we gain.

In the case of demolishing the John B. Parkin Associates Imperial Oil Building (1964 Massey Medal for Architecture) for a big box parking lot, I'm not so sure that was an exercise in great city building. I could go on and on with such cases of questionable moves on the part of the city's "preservation" process.

In the case of the M&G project, I think it can safely be said that if we have to give up the odd brick warehouse here and there (and we do), then this is clearly a case of coming out way ahead in city building. But people suggest why can't we have it all, and just use the buildings within the project. Well. Allied seems to be doing a great job at restoring and incorporating these structures in their plans...as that is the nature of that particular developer. This particular project doesn't.

It could I suppose, but then it would be a different design. We have plenty of examples of façadism in the city, with I'm sure plenty more to come (how many great ones are there...if any). I think an unadulterated Gehry/Mirvish project like this holds exciting possibilities. Which is why I think in this case, we should all hold hands and just jump.

You keep repeating this statement. First of all, designated structures can and do get demolished as part of the "process", so no, M&G do not "have" to work within that context at all. The City can simply review their application to demolish and approve it, or Mirvish can appeal that decision at the OMB.

Circles within circles! As we've already established, the buildings CAN get demolished but the default position once they are designated is that they won't be. Mirvish and Gehry will have to convince the city or the OMB there's a greater good being served and the sort of "the new buildings are more awesome!" stuff I've seen here won't play in those forums.

Why would these particular warehouse buildings be designated? Is it because they hold some sort of historical, architectural or any other kind of significance? No.

Yes.
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2010/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-32565.pdf
I count 11 listed heritage attributes.

The city's Heritage Preservation Services is largely a reactive process. It generally designates properties when "listed" properties apply for demolition permits.Why did Mirvish want them designated...he obviously has never been interested in properly restoring them, hence the whitewashed, black & white signage. The only reason these buildings were designated is because Mirvish was after the 40% tax rebate.

a) It's actually entirely reactive, in that they don't just randomly designate things but respond to circumstances as they arise.
b) The reasons Mirvish did it are as irrelevant as the Timmies' timbit-per-day sales rankings. This is not an area of law in which "motive" is a consideration. If you think Mirvish can go to the OMB and say, "I don't actually think the buildings are important; I just wanted a tax break,' and they'll go along with the demolition, I suspect you are mistaken. And I also suspect he knows that and is prepared with more substantial arguments, should it come to that. I'm happy he saved on his taxes but he is the legal owner of heritage buildings in Ontario and that comes with responsibilities, like it or not.

In the case of the M&G project, I think it can safely be said that if we have to give up the odd brick warehouse here and there (and we do), then this is clearly a case of coming out way ahead in city building. But people suggest why can't we have it all, and just use the buildings within the project. Well. Allied seems to be doing a great job at restoring and incorporating these structures in their plans...as that is the nature of that particular developer. This particular project doesn't.

Well, this is the subjective part. I understand what you're saying - it does, obviously, have exciting possibilities - but I don't personally agree with casting the buildings off so easily. As I've said, boring warehouses that still exist along King East or in the Distillery district are important parts of our heritage, no matter how banal they may seem. But, this is where the rubber hits the road in this debate. Since we can only agree to disagree on how "worthy" the buildings are, I will merely point out again that:
a) they exist
b) they are designated
c) the onus is on the owner to explain why they should go, not on the city to explain why they should stay. That's our starting point.

An aspect of this I find interesting is the Mirvish family narrative and city building.

Ed Mirvish wanted to demolish much of Mirvish Village for parking but the city wouldn't allow it. ("“Honest†Ed Mirvish began buying houses on Markham St. in the late 1950s, planning to raze them and build a parking lot. But city officials pushed back, allowing the lot only if he preserved the homes. So in the early 1960s, he began renting the Victorian structures to local artists, transforming the area into what is now Mirvish Village, made up of art galleries, boutiques, bookstores and restaurants." from Toronto Star)

Now his son comes in and wants to demolish more buildings on another site but the city is pushing back.

Ultimately Mirvish Village developed into a gem of a street and Honest Ed's is, well, an icon in its own way. So here, if the old buildings stay and are modified to the city's approval, we could hopefully see another happy ending. Right?

And the Mirvish family narrative continues on; history repeats itself.

I'm ambivalent about whether M-G goes ahead, but I think that there are disingenuous arguments hurled on both sides. For the anti- group, the idea that 3X 80-storey condo towers will somehow put excessive strain on the transit system is misleading, especially when it's pretty well known that office developments, which have people coming and going from them at all hours of the day, and where workers are packed in at densities that are much higher than anything residential units would allow, put much much more demand on transit services.

So, I'll back off from bringing any discussion of M-G into this, but I will say this: this project (388 King) probably will put strain on the transit system in the area, which is already woefully inadequate.

Does anyone want to let the planners know that an 800,000 ft2, 29 storey office tower will probably put much more strain on transit demand in the area than Mirvish-Gehry? Also, this office development is another 300 m further away from an existing subway station.

Yeah but its 29s and not 80s+....believe me, this whole Gehry thing is about height, and not about design, heritage, or transit infrastructure...same feedback by Toronto City Planning is happening all across town with proposals of 200m+ structures
Anyways, nice to see new office development in this "neck of the woods:cool:"

Of course it's about height. Why shouldn't height be of concern? Likewise, why should three Gehrys of a more appropriate scale be any less spectacular than one that slaps the zoning in the face?

Pointless to go more into depth than that since opinion is so dominant in this thread.

Last edited:
Likewise, why should three Gehrys of a more appropriate scale be any less spectacular than one that slaps the zoning in the face?

Gehry's designs would understandably be expensive to execute. I wonder if Gehry's design even be viable if the project wasn't large enough pay for those higher costs.

Gehry's designs would understandably be expensive to execute. I wonder if Gehry's design even be viable if the project wasn't large enough pay for those higher costs.

I think obviously the height is at least as much about economics as aesthetics. Now, you can certainly see where the money is going so I understand why it has to be a certain height. And I further understand why if they're going to be ambitious, they figure they might as well be really ambitious.

Still, some people seem to think the height is entirely a design choice and changing it would be ruining Gehry's work; it's not, on either count. And I'm sure, somewhere in the bowels of Mirvish's office, they know what number is really too low to make it viable. If the city went below that number and really put it at risk, I might reconsider my opinions but I'm sure that number is not 82/84/86 and I doubt the city will force it down that low.

(OTOH, it's worth mentioning [as I'm sure I said upthread] there were huge cost and design constraints on Gehry's AGO and I think it's a wonderful job he did. And it changed between approval and realization. If you want to talk not-heritage, the 1990s atrium he destroyed really upset some people, but it's not quite comparable to the current heritage argument, really :))

An aspect of this I find interesting is the Mirvish family narrative and city building.

Ed Mirvish wanted to demolish much of Mirvish Village for parking but the city wouldn't allow it. ("“Honest†Ed Mirvish began buying houses on Markham St. in the late 1950s, planning to raze them and build a parking lot. But city officials pushed back, allowing the lot only if he preserved the homes. So in the early 1960s, he began renting the Victorian structures to local artists, transforming the area into what is now Mirvish Village, made up of art galleries, boutiques, bookstores and restaurants." from Toronto Star)

Now his son comes in and wants to demolish more buildings on another site but the city is pushing back.

Ultimately Mirvish Village developed into a gem of a street and Honest Ed's is, well, an icon in its own way. So here, if the old buildings stay and are modified to the city's approval, we could hopefully see another happy ending. Right?

And the Mirvish family narrative continues on; history repeats itself.

Repeats itself except in the sense Ed Mirvish wanted to build a parking lot; whereas his son wants to build 3 gorgeous towers with art galleries and college facilities.

I was thinking that when these heritage buildings were built, some old buildings were demolished to make a way for these, no one had an objection to demolish the buildings for these ones so why now people have so much objection? im sure that the new designed condos will become a landmark and will win many awards for the design.

Faulty logic. You assume no one objected to the errection of the buildings now standing there - why? Did you research it? Are you a historian?

Are u 100 years old? how u know about that? Are u a historian?
but still after the objection these got built so what is the problem with condos, they are unique in design.

Circles within circles! As we've already established, the buildings CAN get demolished but the default position once they are designated is that they won't be.

You're the one going in circles by stating the reason they shouldn't be demolished is because they are designated. All the designation does is trip a more complicated process into motion....it's not a "reason" in and of itself.

I count 11 listed heritage attributes.

With the possible minor exception of the terra cotta tiles on the Anderson Building, none of it constitutes "important", and could be said about pretty much any building standing. IMO, the POW theatre has a better case for survival than the warehouses do.

There's only one building of significant historical, architectural and cultural importance involved, and that's the one being left alone.

a) It's actually entirely reactive, in that they don't just randomly designate things but respond to circumstances as they arise.

The office is under-funded and under-staffed (heritage is gravy dontcha know), so instead of being proactive (the preferred mode) they tend to be reactive (not the preferred mode). They are not designating buildings by their rank of importance. That's why you have common building listed and designated, while more important buildings aren't protected. This is what I meant.

b) The reasons Mirvish did it are as irrelevant as the Timmies' timbit-per-day sales rankings. This is not an area of law in which "motive" is a consideration.

So, we give buildings heritage designation for financial purposes, rather than actually being of important heritage status, and you think that the designation itself makes it a sacred cow? You continuously use a very weak technicality to make your case, and yet you wonder why I call you pedantic and myopic. Good god man, you are the poster boy!!

I'm happy he saved on his taxes but he is the legal owner of heritage buildings in Ontario and that comes with responsibilities, like it or not.

That's just a pointless statement....grandstanding and misleading. Mirvish is not guilty of shirking any of his responsibilities, nor is there any reason to believe he will.

If you think Mirvish can go to the OMB and say, "I don't actually think the buildings are important; I just wanted a tax break,' and they'll go along with the demolition, I suspect you are mistaken.

You are just inventing stories again...did I say that was his argument? No I didn't. One thing the OMB isn't, is as bias as the locals who oppose projects. They will look beyond pedantic and myopic arguments and look at the big picture....what's good for the city as a whole. That's why the OMB overturns the city when it comes to development....the province is pro development in general, but doesn't shy away from heritage preservation when it actually represents significant structures. My guess is they will take one look at the those warehouses and not take it too seriously. It's the zoning issues that will probably weigh much heavier in this case. Hopefully, politics will not play much of a role. The only bit where people get nervous, is setting new precedents.

Last edited:

Back