Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

And worse, it came out like a non-sequitur:

...showcasing Toronto as a true 21st century world class city. I believe a world class city deserves and needs a world class architectural masterpiece such as the Mirvish/Gehry project.

Don't get me wrong, I am thankful for the letter, but is there a "false" 21st c world class city? And that such world classness would somehow "deserve" anything but confirmation of something you already said it is? And if we didn't get it, would it make us a fake?

Doesn't help that the CHIN picnic thing preceded that para either, it just makes it oh so corny. I have this sudden feeling of being teleported back on the Jadran and thinking that's world class dining. Ick ick ick.

AoD

Last edited:
AoD, reservations about the world-class stuff aside, 'true' here just means a place that no-one could argue was not world class. False and fake aren't the opposites of what Lenny Lombardi is saying in his letter.

The "world class" rhetoric shows how dated this idea is: that if you just clear a large block of your old city and build one huge project you can elevate your city through the ranks. It doesn't work like that. Toronto is already an exceptional city in the world. This project would be just another feather in our proverbial hat. To get it we're asked not only to let someone destroy our history but also to weaken our ability to preserve other heritage buildings.

+1000
I am so sick of that phrase

#1 commonly used argument in Toronto:
Since Toronto is or should be world class, we have to do <blah>. Anything less isn't worthy of a world-class city.

Don't you want Toronto to be an ALPHA world class city like London, Paris & New York? If we do <blah> it will be, otherwise it'll be a disaster.

if toronto doesn't try to world class it will never be. toronto is always just out of reach of being world class, it just needs to step up and be a little bold

if toronto doesn't try to world class it will never be. toronto is always just out of reach of being world class, it just needs to step up and be a little bold

Read posts #2509 onward, and you'll see you're being ridiculed.

Heritage or not, this building does not create an ideal streetwall.

iphone%20images%20464_1-L.jpg

That can be remedied by reinforcing the walls, cutting between the upper and lower windows and then removing the upper 1st floor and creating a new floor at street level. There you go, a double height floor that's at ground level.

That's what's going on at Tableau, though their approach involves reassembling the heritage component in that altered state.

Back