Toronto FlyOver Canada | 25.02m | 4s | CLC | Sturgess

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Looks like this application could be for the new FlyOver Canada attraction:

292 BREMNER BLVD
Ward 10 - Tor & E.York District

Proposal for a 4-storey place of amusement on lands located between the CN Tower and the Rogers Centre. The proposed place of amusement will have a non-residential gross floor area of 2634 m².

1582978442680.png

Updated project description:

Site Plan application for an entertainment attraction on the CN Tower lands. The attraction consists of a 4-storey building that will include a theater simulator, known as Flyover Canada, and ancillary retail uses. The building is proposed to have a gross floor area of 2634 square metres.

--------------------------------------------
Canada Lands Company + Sturgess Architecture / Plant Architecture:

1583524810377.png

Aerial view of landscaping plans:

1583524990882.png

Site context/plan:

1583525203375.png

1583525271028.png

Last edited:
We have a bunch more images in our front page story here, and in the database file attached at the top of the page.

We also have two additional flyover attractions in development. FlyOver Las Vegas is expected to open in 2021 and FlyOver Canada in Toronto is expected to open in 2022. We designed each flyover attraction with a seat capacity to meet the demand of the local tourism market. FlyOver Las Vegas and FlyOver Canada Toronto will be our largest thus far at 80 seats each, which is based on the significant visitation to these markets.

And I thought the "Faux Gehry" trend died with the Art Gallery of Alberta in Edmonton. I mean, even real Gehry is kind of tired and clichéd by now. I guess CLC's marketing department told the architects to make this look "fun" and "exciting" and "iconic" and here we are.

One look at their "revitalization project" at the base of the CN Tower is sufficient to determine that CLC's sense of architectural excellence is wanting.

AoD

Did they buy the cladding from ROM? And lordy, those strips on the landscape paving - it doesn't remind me of anything Canadian. It reminded me of blown over timbers at Mt. St. Helens.

1589426796511.png

(USGS via the Atlantic)

AoD

Last edited:
Even if this building ended up being the greatest thing since Frank Gehry, I can't help think the narrative for this being built is still in the realm between a gimmick and a passing fad all served up with a cheeze sandwich.

Back