Toronto Fly Condos | ?m | 24s | Empire | Graziani + Corazza

From Adam Vaughan's Ward 20 March 2009 Newsletter

352 Front St W (Fly Condominiums)

(image available in PDF version of newsletter)

Craig Hunter of planning consultants Armstrong Hunter & Associates presented Empire Communities' proposal for 352 Front St W. at Councillor Vaughan's King-Spadina Development meeting January 20.

This project has been presented at one of Councillor Vaughan's community meetings in the past, however this presentation was the statutory meeting for this proposal, required under the Planning Act.

The proposal is for a 24 storey building on the north side of Front St W, which steps down to 22 storeys on the north side of the building. There would be a large retail space on the Front St W side at grade that would align with the retail at Tridel's Element at 20 Blue Jays Way, immediately to the east.

The building would be pulled back about 15-17 m from the western property line to create a tree-lined mid-block connection north from Front St W towards Clarence Square Park. This would serve both as a pedestrian walkway and also a vehicular connection to the garage entrance of the building. There would be a two-storey lobby at the south-west corner of the building, and then townhouses at grade along the west side of the building. While the property at 352 Front St W does not connect all the way to Clarence Square Park, the creation of this walkway would serve as a significant precedent for the sliver of land to the north.

The proposed development would have 396 units, of which 60% would be 1 bedroom or 1 bedroom + den, 32% 2 bedroom, and 8% 3 bedroom units.

The configuration of the building has been designed in part to minimize shadow on Clarence Square Park, however there will be a small shadow impact on the corner of the park between September and March of each year. If approved, the developers would make a contribution to the physical resuscitation of the park and try to animate it so that it is a safer place.

The projected occupancy of the building is 2011; however this is dependent on the market and sales.

Visited the sales center today and it was the most pleasant one I have been in yet. The receptionist was friendly, asked if I wanted a drink (I had a superb ready-make espresso) and showed me the model. When I asked to take pictures she explained that I could photograph whatever I wanted so long as I didn't touch the model. A great experience.

Also, G+C's First 'good' building? You decide.

Dad%27s%20Launch%20and%20March%20Walks%20165.jpg

Dad%27s%20Launch%20and%20March%20Walks%20166.jpg

Dad%27s%20Launch%20and%20March%20Walks%20167.jpg

Dad%27s%20Launch%20and%20March%20Walks%20169.jpg

Dad%27s%20Launch%20and%20March%20Walks%20171.jpg

Dad%27s%20Launch%20and%20March%20Walks%20173.jpg

Dad%27s%20Launch%20and%20March%20Walks%20175.jpg

Pedestrian walk to Clarence Square.

Dad%27s%20Launch%20and%20March%20Walks%20176.jpg

Dad%27s%20Launch%20and%20March%20Walks%20177.jpg

Dad%27s%20Launch%20and%20March%20Walks%20197.jpg

Lobby and Front St.

Dad%27s%20Launch%20and%20March%20Walks%20180.jpg

Outdoor amenities area (1 of 3)

Dad%27s%20Launch%20and%20March%20Walks%20185.jpg

Outdoor amenities area (2 of 3)

Dad%27s%20Launch%20and%20March%20Walks%20186.jpg

The interior roundabout/passenger dropoff.

Dad%27s%20Launch%20and%20March%20Walks%20201.jpg

the pedestrian walk excites me, excellent touch.

but if this building isn't handled right i fear it will look like some cheap las vagas resort, or worse, something from north york(!) i still they they have to get rid of that random-angular wall. it looks silly.

I wouldn't get too excited... somehow I doubt this building will get built in its current form. Sales were bad even before the economy started tumbling.

I wouldn't get too excited... somehow I doubt this building will get built in its current form. Sales were bad even before the economy started tumbling.

i didn't get a chance to stop by the site yet. how come it's doing so poorly? what are some things i should look out for when i go?

From the model pics I can say that I do not hate it. Suprisingly there is something I kind of like about it but unsure what it is yet. I have heard from me real estate friend though that sales have been struggling since day one on this one as compared to all other projects in the area.

Lobby and Front St.

Dad%27s%20Launch%20and%20March%20Walks%20180.jpg

Everytime I see that pic I think of those sticky fly traps hanging from a ceiling ... not the best imagery when trying to sell something costing $500+ PSF

I'm confused....

Heard radio ads about Fly condos, units selling at $160 000. Site says that grand opening is May 9.

Yet some on this board have stated that sales have already started?

For the few posters that did visit the sales centre. Does the $160 000 represent a reduction in their previous prices?

This doesn't really make sense to me.

They have then new rendering on the site now, not sure if I like it better or not?

$160,000 is quite a discount from what they opened at, the lowest price previously was about $270,000 for 495 sf!

Back