Toronto Fleur Condos | 85.34m | 29s | Menkes | a—A

Yeah, in-person the limestone here reads much less white and much more limestone-y, if that makes sense (a bit of beige-and-gray-ish but not in, like, a bad, taupe-y way). Basically it doesn't really look white IRL.

I look forward to seeing it in person and stand corrected about the fusion of FCP and TD Centre styling. It’s an interesting combination of materials.

Some might call this project a Mies clone, but that wouldn’t be fair. It’s a quirky and interesting local landmark with its unique profile and combination of cladding.

While I adore this building, I don't love the massing. Knowing they only have a few floors to go, it feels a bit stubby to me. This would have been a real standout if it was 15-20 floors higher.

Today. Amazingly, they managed to build the 26th floor without a crane! 3 more floors of crane-less construction on the way ...

Fleur 1.JPG

Fleur 3.png

Fleur 4.png

"Timeless" is a good adjective for this building. It is not even finished, but if you ignore the top floors under construction, it already looks both modern, and like it could have been there for 40 years.

To be fair, not all their designs hit home. Especially when they rehash some of their older designs that seems to be done to death. Coupled with subjectivity, you are not going to get everyone to agree with what they produce.

I can agree with two things though:

1) As you've indicated, aA are limited to what their clients want from them.
2) Fluer seems to be rather the exception and exceptional here, IMO.

East FiftyFive is also exceptional and St. Lawrence Condos is shaping up really well so far too, to say nothing of a whole pile of great projects by this firm over the years, ex., Pier 27, MOZO, the Harbour Plaza towers, 383 Sorauren, King Charlotte, District Lofts, Twenty Niagara, X Condos, Sixty Colbourne and many more. After a while, the exceptional projects are no longer the exceptions.

Last edited:
"Exceptional" is a little much. aA has done a great job all things considered, but there was a time where they literally rehashed the same designs for every project. Yea, the developers were probably asking them for it but I don't think that warrants an "exceptional" grade. No doubt they influenced many firms over the years so good on them. I'd say lately they have done more interesting work. Still a premiere firm. I think HP has surpassed them.

Top off by Canada Day? They’re working on the 28th floor, so there’s one more to go, and the mechs are part of the 29th floor.

Back