Toronto Five St Joseph | 160.93m | 48s | Five St. Joseph | Hariri Pontarini

It will tarnish in time as weather and pollution take their toll. Having things temporarily look inauthentic or too clean is not a reason to forgo restoring the rest of the Victorian stock in the area.

Last edited:
Not complaining here, but I can see how the overly clean look can be interpreted as "unauthentic". It's not an unusual complaint either - see: http://www.theguardian.com/artandde...ow-chartres-cathedral-restoration-paul-calvel

AoD

I've heard that opinion too. I think that being able to see a building the way it looked when it was new is the most authentic experience way to experience the architecture. You're seeing what the architect intended you to see when it mattered the most (when the building was new).

IMG_0002.JPG

I look out on this project from my apartment and it may be my imagination, but it seems that no work has been done on the glazing since the holidays. It seems they've left the top four floors and penthouse unfinished. Too cold or perhaps just supply problems?

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    339.3 KB · Views: 2,293
I think the top four floors are supposed to be a different style that matches the balconies. Maybe they're waiting on material?

Really? I rather like the slimmer vertical panels, I feel it lightens up the motif a little. To each his own!!

What I meant was - If the glass panels with the verticals were narrowed to match the width of the frit
- which could be done if the "serifs" of the "I" were moved to the balcony glass. The width of the frit would stay the same.
The mullion spacing would not be equal for all panels, but a pattern could easily have been developed.
See below.

Last edited:
What I meant was - If the glass panels with the verticals were narrowed to match the width of the frit - which could be done if the "serifs" of the "I" were moved to the balcony glass. The width of the frit would stay the same. The mullion spacing would not be equal for all panels, but a pattern could easily have been developed.
See below.

One issue with this scheme would be the positioning of the supporting structure at the back, which will not be as neat a solution as one where the width of the glass is constant.

AoD

I think that the bricklaying is essentially completed for the old warehouse in the new laneway now. I can't wait until the laneway is opened up for pedestrians.

Today they were moving the plywood out a few feet to begin work on the front of the Yonge St buildings. Can't wait for these to be done!

Beautiful shot!

Living in the east, our golden hour is in the morning as the sun rises. It's amazing.

With the 100,000,000 cigarette butts from thoughtless smokers on the sidewalks now being fully revealed as the snow melts (it's beyond disgusting the last few days and people should be ashamed of themselves) the City still looks awesome from the air.

Back