Toronto Five St Joseph | 160.93m | 48s | Five St. Joseph | Hariri Pontarini

As if I don't already love the Five project and concept enough, this seals the deal! Continuing retail south of St. Joesph Street to join the rest of the retail north of Wellesley along that lane-way is a great idea that I'm sure the neighbourhood can support.

I also agree its a nice vision but it doesn't work if thru traffic is permitted, the street is too narrow. Also, while traffic may be infrequent now I think it will increase. The St Nicholas tower will add more traffic. Also where is the garage entrance to this tower? I thought an earlier rendering showed it on St. Nicholas Street. I think it is a great vision of the street. I would support changing it to pedestrian only if that was possible. I also wish something could be done on the stretch between St. Mary's and St. Joseph.

I also agree its a nice vision but it doesn't work if thru traffic is permitted, the street is too narrow. Also, while traffic may be infrequent now I think it will increase. The St Nicholas tower will add more traffic. Also where is the garage entrance to this tower? I thought an earlier rendering showed it on St. Nicholas Street. I think it is a great vision of the street. I would support changing it to pedestrian only if that was possible. I also wish something could be done on the stretch between St. Mary's and St. Joseph.

The garage entrance will be from St. Joseph, approximately where there's a short dead-ended lane right now.

I also wish something could be done on the stretch between St. Mary's and St. Joseph.

There was section 37 money put aside from this development to make St. Nicholas between Irwin and St. Joseph match the street along Five with bricks and landscaping (and I think lighting as well).

Application: Demolition Folder (DM) Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M4Y 1J6

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 10 302381 DEM 00 DM Accepted Date: Nov 24, 2010

Project: Multiple Use/Non Residential Demolition

Description: Proposal to demolish several mixed-use/non-residential buildings under addresses 5-9 St Joseph St (5-storeys), 606-618 Yonge St (3 storeys), and 15-25 St Nicholas St (6 storeys). Total area of demolition is 6984.23m2. Also see related Site Plan Approval file 10-110551 (under 606 Yonge St).

Looked around the Surplus store last Friday - they've got a half price sale on all kinds of stuff. Very tempted to buy a Russian officer's black hooded cloak!

found this article on five from urbanations twitter feed

You’ve come a long way, baby, is something designer Anna Simone might say of condos. It’s a fitting sentiment since her firm, Cecconi Simone, has been designing model suites since the early days of the late 1980s, and early ’90s.

Not only has condo design changed and become more technologically sophisticated, the way projects are developed has changed, too. It used to be, Simone says, that interior designers were brought on only after the building had been designed. Then a watershed was brooked with City Place, when Concord Adex involved Cecconi Simone from the outset to design the units, and thus shape the building.

In the couple of decades since then, Toronto’s landscape has been dramatically altered and designers, architects, developers and the city are in constant negotiations over how a building will look. The inside affects the outside.

That was certainly the case with the new condo project, Five, at the corner of St. Joseph and Yonge Sts., especially since it meant blending old with new.

And Toronto, thanks to its growing cadre of accomplished architects, is developing an enviable expertise in this area.

Five is a perfect example of how it works: visionary developers, Graywood and MOD Developments were interested in doing something outstanding; add in architecture firm Hariri Pontarini, known for their unique way of blending historical and modern; the space-making genies at Cecconi Simone Interior Design; and the city with its urban plans for intensification.

Even so, there were challenges with the site, given its size and location, with five retail buildings along Yonge St., the Gothic Revival warehouse on St. Joseph that will be the five-storey podium with heritage lofts, and the connecting landscape (by Janet Rosenberg Landscape Architects) that incorporates a rooftop garden with 6,000 square feet of outdoor amenities, and 10,000 square feet of indoor amenities.

David Pontarini, the architect in charge at Five, admits the building was complicated, not because of the design or materials, but because of the geographic context. “That particular stretch of Yonge St. is a bit of a frontier — a poor cousin to Yonge and Bloor — and a lot of people saw this building for the change that could be effected along there.”

Being uncharted territory, except possibly in the memory of every Torontonian’s misspent youth, that strip of Yonge could easily accommodate something unique architecturally. With the street’s character and lowrise scale preserved, the hope was to invigorate retail.

The 45-story tower, meanwhile, pays for what Pontarini calls the “extensive historic restoration happening on the St. Joseph frontage,” but will be set back so as not overpower the street. That also serves a design purpose, allowing the undulating balconies with their slightly off kilter, though pleasing effect, to be appreciated from street level.

The public space, designed by Cecconi Simone, reflects the edgy “frontier” of nearby Yonge with its roughhewn warehouse beams, smooth polished concrete pillars, leather sofas and large pendant lamps.

But when it came to the unit layouts, it was the tower that dictated the design. Traditional square towers provide deeper units, but this one’s long narrow configuration created wide shallow units, which in Simone’s hands, became a benefit.

It’s a layout that’s nicely reflected in the model suite: working guts — kitchen and bath — at the interior wall, and living room and bedroom side by side in front of large windows leading out to the balconies. In fact, it’s an ideal layout, Simone says.

Given the sizes of the suites — ranging from 325 to 1,683 square feet and the

model at 658 square feet — optimum function comes via built-ins. Looking to the walls to provide vertical space, Simone was able to create phenomenal cubic space by crafting storage, shelving and appliance fronts through built ins.

The entrance’s “corridor” takes up no space, as it’s created by the kitchen’s “back” wall and leads to a small vestibule with floor to ceiling closets at one end. The closet’s same dark engineered veneer as the floors extends down the length of the living room as a display unit, creating an envelope; a dark cocoon that expands rather than contracts space.

And thanks to technology — mainly shallower TVs and smaller audio equipment — it was possible to keep the display unit to one foot deep. By staggering the shelving, Simone managed to create an artful arrangement, which she says “speaks to who you are and what you love.”

Even the artwork, sparingly presented, reflects this individual flavour: an antique laundry press mounted to one wall, a lithograph on another and a unique leather rope piece installed behind the bed.

In fact, making room for self-expression was an important consideration in the design, Simone says. “We like to think our aesthetic responds to changing times, how we live in our spaces, how we interpret ourselves, how we enjoy spaces we live in,” she says.

“In our firm, we’ve increasingly found that the footprint we all grew up with — kitchen, living, two baths, three bedrooms — was a layout we had to conform to. Today it’s the other way around, the person defines the space. It’s not unusual for us to make a home into an outgrowth of the person living there. A chef for example, whose life and thus whole house centres around food, and becomes one big kitchen and dining space.”

Simone hopes that potential buyers will walk into the model suite and recognize how flexible the space would be with their own things. The living room at present accommodates a sofa, two stainless wire chairs, a low sleek upholstered bench and a coffee table. But that could easily be switched up with two sofas, or a sofa and two substantial club chairs, plus a small workspace behind the sofa.

Much of the space’s fluidity comes from the kitchen’s compact layout. A lowered extension of the island accommodates four dining chairs, the stacked washer and dryer is concealed in a closet, the microwave tucks neatly under the island counter, Miele appliances are hidden by cabinet profiles, and an extra drawer is integrated to the sink.

Not unlike the big purses our mothers used to carry, I comment to Simone. “A compartment for everything.” She nods: “Women design baths and kitchens like they design purses — we put hooks where we want them, we think of the outlets and we think of the daily basics, everything you could need in one compact space.”

Even the three-foot space between the island and galley is a perfect amount for moving around in. “Anything more causes more running,” Simone says.

Back