Toronto First Parliament Site | ?m | ?s

In that case shouldn't we stop spending money on all new parks, squares and pubic areas, until all our run down squares and parks are repaired? I figure that will be no new amenities until around 2020 or later. Too bad for Regent Park, eh? What do they need a new park for anyway.

No. I was just suggesting there was a fallacy in the argument that we should build a new square because other public spaces are rundown. When building entire new neighbourhoods like the West Donlands, or revitalizing neighbourhoods like Regent Park, it is important to make sure that park or public space is part of the development. However, in developed areas I would far prefer to see capital dollars flow to improving existing spaces, as is happening at NPS, because in my view Toronto is far weaker on maintenance and updating existing space than it is on its overall amount of public space.

Just playing devil's advocate here (because I would love to have both), but money.

It's too bad Toronto doesn't have many philanthropists like those cities who shall not be named do.
There's money, it's just that Toronto keeps electing boneheads like Rob Ford who create artificial budget crises and have no vision for city building. Commemorating something like the 1837 rebellion doesn't have to be expensive. With the amount of development happening in the city right now, a lot of the cost of a new square or monument or whatever can come through Section 37 contributions. That's a just a few thoughts on the topic but the point is the city could do both if it really set its mind to it.

Who has Rachel Whiteread's number?

Great idea.

Or a Claes Oldenburg, if he's still working. His drainpipe series fron the '60s came about when he was playing with the letter "T" for Toronto, for a show here. Perhaps his Proposed Colossal Drainpipe Monument (Toronto) with Waterfall could actually be built.

Or, failing a work of pure art, an architectural flourish of some sort - like the Tower of the Winds. In that vein, I'm very fond of Ernest Cormier's elevator tower and spiral staircase combo at Carr Hall - I love how he plucked a secondary architectural feature from obscurity and made it the star turn of the building.

Is this the one you're thinking of?

WMAA.02714.jpg

I do see Hipster's point that when you look at the immediate surrounding area it doesn't exactly scream out for a public square. This is where a little urban planning and vision is required, however. In other words don't look at the area now but project what it could be in twenty or forty years. There is an opportunity here to cull a choice piece of land and to develop it in a way that will link the Distillery with St. Lawrence in a significant way.

As for the public space itself I'd love to see the historic foundations uncovered and left in a 'ruined' state on view, landscaped and with info' panels. This could form the 'park' aspect of the space. I'd also like to see a public square with dramatic art installation/fountain that would involve various elements in an interactive way... sort of like 'La Joute' in Montreal's Place Riopelle.

Sure, why not! Riopelle's work involves fire, water, mist and lighting and it runs on a sequance every thirty minutes or so.

It's obvious some people are looking at what's there right now and are not taking into consideration the development that is planned and the obvious changes that will come. If you did, you would see it in a different light. Front street is going to be totally redone for the Pan AM Games and it will also be the main commercial street in the whole area. It goes right past this site and so will most people going to one of 3 key neighbourhoods. How could this site not be strategic? You guys just aren't looking ahead or maybe you just don't know what the plans are for this street. Also look at all the buildings and sites surrounding this plot of land. (they are almost all going to be redeveloped very soon) Take a look at the site in person and then go study the West Don Lands plan, then you will see how prominent this site will become in a few years. How can you not see the future potential importance of this site? (it's so obvious) Right now, we do not have a major public space that unites all the historic sites and attractions of the downtown east. This in my opinion, is the perfect site, right in the middle of it all the things, people will want to see. The future possibilities are really exciting.

Last edited:
I do see Hipster's point that when you look at the immediate surrounding area it doesn't exactly scream out for a public square. This is where a little urban planning and vision is required, however. In other words don't look at the area now but project what it could be in twenty or forty years. There is an opportunity here to cull a choice piece of land and to develop it in a way that will link the Distillery with St. Lawrence in a significant way.

As for the public space itself I'd love to see the historic foundations uncovered and left in a 'ruined' state on view, landscaped and with info' panels. This could form the 'park' aspect of the space. I'd also like to see a public square with dramatic art installation/fountain that would involve various elements in an interactive way... sort of like 'La Joute' in Montreal's Place Riopelle.

Don't forget Corktown, just north of the site and the future East Bayfront, just to the south. You also have the King East Shopping strip, Regent Parks new cultural attractions and The Pan Am Village, just to the east. As a future tourism destination, this is central for tying together all the historic neighbourhoods we have. We really need to do more to develop a tourism plan to showcase all our historic and cultural attractions, like other major cities do.

It's obvious some people are looking at what's there right now and are not taking into consideration the development that is planned and the obvious changes that will come. If you did, you would see it in a different light. Front street is going to be totally redone for the Pan AM Games and it will also be the main commercial street in the whole area. It goes right past this site and so will most people going to one of 3 key neighbourhoods. How could this site not be strategic? You guys just aren't looking ahead or maybe you just don't know what the plans are for this street. Also look at all the buildings and sites surrounding this plot of land. (they are almost all going to be redeveloped very soon) Take a look at the site in person and then go study the West Don Lands plan, then you will see how prominent this site will become in a few years. How can you not see the future potential importance of this site? (it's so obvious) Right now, we do not have a major public space that unites all the historic sites and attractions of the downtown east. This in my opinion, is the perfect site, right in the middle of it all the things, people will want to see. The future possibilities are really exciting.

Agreed.

Reading some of these posts I'm reminded of Ford and his use of the 'St. Claire disaster' as 'proof' of why LRT doesn't work, or Doug's claim that there are more libraries than Tom Hortons, so let's shut em down.. Engaging with this reasoning is exasperating if not entirely futile. I would point to hipster ducks "3 simple reasons" not to create more public space as a good example of this.

Is this the one you're thinking of?

WMAA.02714.jpg

Yes - and there's a taller version that extends right up to the evestrough! And he did soft versions of it.

With the broad, treed, pedestrian Esplanade shaping up to be our Ramblas, as the city evolves around it, either a cultural centre, or a memorable architectural flourish, or a work of art would anchor the eastern end nicely.

Seriously how did ford get into being mayor.. Can he say anything other then..." uhh uhhh" I mean there's a real intelligent man there and not to mention confident. Lol cut the fat.. No really loose it dude. Stop gaining. Embarrassing for your city

Reading some of these posts I'm reminded of Ford and his use of the 'St. Claire disaster' as 'proof' of why LRT doesn't work, or Doug's claim that there are more libraries than Tom Hortons, so let's shut em down.. Engaging with this reasoning is exasperating if not entirely futile. I would point to hipster ducks "3 simple reasons" not to create more public space as a good example of this.

Wow, being compared to Doug Ford. I am flattered.

Seriously, dude, if there wasn't some minor historical connection to this site nobody would mind if a condo was developed here. There is nothing about this site that suggests a public square would do well and, even if there was, there are two public squares within a 5 minute walking distance and that's something hardly any other spot in the city can claim.

Back