Toronto First Parliament Site | ?m | ?s

I like the design and hope to see it built...but not on that site. Build it across the street on the parking lot north of Clear Spirits and we have a winner.

That is where TTC Cherry St LRT loop is going.

I want to see a public square, monument, museum, art and a library on this land. We have much better places to build towers like this. What we need are more public squares to tie together the historic districts of The Distillery, St. Lawrence and Corktown. It would make a great space for tourists and Torontonians. The east side needs more attractions and to develop it's historic sites.

Definitely a public square. I've probably said this a few times earlier, but Toronto really lacks a proper formal plaza.

I want to see a public square, monument, museum, art and a library on this land. We have much better places to build towers like this. What we need are more public squares to tie together the historic districts of The Distillery, St. Lawrence and Corktown. It would make a great space for tourists and Torontonians. The east side needs more attractions and to develop it's historic sites.

Yes, I second every point made here.

Definitely a public square. I've probably said this a few times earlier, but Toronto really lacks a proper formal plaza.

There used to be a large-ish forecourt in front of the ROM that gave that stretch of Bloor a slighly monumental scale, but not anymore...

I think this project looks fantastic. I like the way they have provided an area for a parkette for our "first parliament". I really can't see a problem with the proposed project. It was thoughtfully designed and is is an appropriate area. Let's get it built befor someone comes with a proposal like 501 Yonge.

Render:
ScreenShot098.jpg

West Elevation:
ScreenShot100.jpg

I like the tapering geometry towards the top of this tower a lot, it certainly adds a lot of interest to the building (unlike 'some' recent proposals :rolleyes:).....

This is actually quite similar to the Two IFC Tower in Hong Kong:

IFC.jpg

OMG look at the shadow it's casting , I think it should be knocked down, so inappropriate for that spot....tsk...tsk shadows on the waterfront.

The City Planning Division recommends that:

1. Staff be directed to schedule a community consultation meeting for the lands at 271 Front Street East and 25 Berkeley Street together with the Ward Councillor.

2. Notice for the community consultation meeting be given to landowners and residents within 120 metres of the site.

3. Notice for the public meeting under the Planning Act be given according to the regulations under the Planning Act.

4. The application be significantly reduced in height and density prior to further processing beyond the public consultation meeting.

5. Staff be directed to continue negotiations with municipal and provincial representatives, as well as the owner of 271 Front Street East and 25 Berkeley Street, to pursue alternative options to private development on the subject property.

The proposal in its current form is not supportable. Staff are seeking significant modifications to the massing and built form of the proposal in order to move forward with processing the application. In conjunction with other municipal and provincial elected officials and staff, planning staff are also working with the applicant to explore alternatives to development on this property.

Last edited:

Back