Toronto First Canadian Place Rejuvenation | 298.08m | 72s | Brookfield | MdeAS Architects

Happened to see this from the gardiner - south face inc. BMO sign. Clear view at around 4 PM. It looked GREAT. Beautiful glassy white. Looks awesome and very high quality, all the people who haven't seen it with their own eyes, let me assure you, as understandable as your fears are, fear no more.

When the sun is hitting it straight on, it's definitely a bright white. However, when it's overcast outside or when the level of brightness decreases, the colour of the glass puts forth a very light minty hue. I'm looking at the tower right now, and as the sun comes and goes, the hue on the glass panels is fluctuating depending on the level of light, cloud density etc. I think once the entire tower is clad in the same material (thus removing surrounding contrast) the off white colour won't be as noticeable.

When the sun is setting the new glass tiles glow, I hate to say, a lovely soft orangey-pink.

FCPSunsetGlow.jpg

One of the construction workers, apparently bedding down for the evening. Sleeping bag up there with him?

FCPGuyOnRoof.jpg

Taken by a friend from Gläs. Thanks KJ!

That's it! I've had it with the Sun! How dare it not shine a perfect white light on this building at all times. This will never do. I now consider the whole concept of the Sun at the center of our solar system as a complete failure.

No Steveve, it's not just you. They are there. I've been trying to figure out how they have been executed. But it seems the first row of white glass panels overlap the edge of the top and the bronze ones don't.

Fins is just a little bit of a stretch unless fins are the new term for parapet.

It looks good, yes. But it's too soon to say if the dark corner pieces have any detailing, although I suspect not. The light coloured lines we see on them appear to be part of the replacement platform to me. Note that what appear to be the same lines are also in front of the lighter panels as well, even though we know that those panels are uniform (at least at the scale of these photos).
I'm not so sure. I can't see them moving all the way down with that platform only to have to remove all of those after reaching the bottom. Also, if you look closely you can see they line up with the walls on the interior of the building.

On a different note, you can see some of the BMO sign starting to peak out on some of those photos.

On the topic of Tint. The new cladding display in FCP (Picture last page) has a sample "tile". It is distinctly white. It should be noted that a some .jpg compression engines add a green tint to white, which might account for some disconnects in the pictures. Time of day is certainly a factor. Until the sun hits Bay Adelaide West it is distinctly grey however, on a bright sunny day it's as blue as the sky.

Does anyone have any inclination as to what will become of FCP's mechanical box? Will the current facade remain or will it too be replaced?

That's it! I've had it with the Sun! How dare it not shine a perfect white light on this building at all times. This will never do. I now consider the whole concept of the Sun at the center of our solar system as a complete failure.

Brilliant! This thread has generated some of the most amusing comments I've seen on a forum in a long time! I never thought the recladding of a skyscraper could be such a comedy! :)

More FCP

fcpx.jpg

Last edited:

Back