Toronto First Canadian Place Rejuvenation | 298.08m | 72s | Brookfield | MdeAS Architects

Oct 06

IMG_oct-06-09-0105.jpg

IMG_oct-06-09-0161.jpg

i wouldn't like two red buildings together (scotia, fcp) it would look bad if they were the same colour.

A nice dark blue with some gold trim would look nice with Scotia as a nice back drop looking from the west.

I have to admit - I'm terribly curious how the moving platforms will work, considering the renderings show them spanning the entire building and allowing work on 2 floors at a time.

I'm starting to think that completely re-cladding the corner insets is not only a design choice, but a logistical necessity based on the platforms being secured at the corners as well - potentially requiring permanent alterations to the substructure beyond the simple marble>spandrel change out.

Copper Oxide is black.
Copper Chloride is green.
Copper Sulphate is blue.

And cuprous oxide, AKA copper(I) oxide, is red, surprisingly.

But you're right, I should have corrected Homer's use of the term "oxidized". Perhaps "weathered" would have been more appropriate.

What causes copper-clad roofs and domes to turn green is a process beginning with the formation of copper oxide, which is replaced by cuprous and cupric sulfide, which in turn is followed by copper carbonate. The resulting green patina is called verdigris (literally, "green-grey".)

OT:

So, when chlorine reacts with copper...you call it an oxide?

No. The substance is called a chloride.

But the reaction which results in a material becoming its chloride is sometimes called oxidation even if oxygen is not a principal reagent.

Some folks consider oxidation to be any redox reaction (involving a loss of electrons). One mnemonic is "OIL RIG" - Oxidation Is Loss (of electrons), Reduction Is Gain. Another is "LEO GER" - Lost Electrons? Oxidation! Gained Electrons? Reduction!

So, as AlvinofDiaspar wrote, copper -> verdigris can be called oxidation, even though the term more specifically applies to the initial copper + oxygen reaction.

/OT

And I don't think verdigris would look good on the inset corners of FCP.

And I don't think verdigris would look good on the inset corners of FCP.

Meaning you think it would look great?!

Well, up close, walking along King Street, the inset corners might look very nice in verdigris, a touch of class even...

whereas on the skyline, the verdigris would not show up much at all. Certainly the bronze will accent the insets much better.

P.End: I don't think FCP has ever spoken to people in the same way that the TD Centre does. When it first went up it looked like Saturday Night Fever; now it looks like The Picture of Dorian Gray. What goes around comes around, I guess - the unfortunate choice of marble rather disqualifies it from the sort of reverence we reserve for the better-thought-out Mies group across the street. A facelift, an entirely new look maybe, seems perfectly sensible.

I agree.

Toronto had a chance for something fresh, new and exciting and it opted for the same old boring shit as before. :rolleyes:

Also, how is it that the recladding will take as long as it took to build FCP?

Last edited by a moderator:

Back