Toronto First Canadian Place Rejuvenation | 298.08m | 72s | Brookfield | MdeAS Architects

No, of course not, that would be ghastly. But other towers dwontown have logos too, but then again FCP is the tallest and it had a logo for the longest time.

I'm usually the last person to defend citizens of the GTA, but this is very untrue. The TD centre is a world-renowned icon of modernist architecture. FCP is not nearly as esteemed.

I'm sure the new glass will do an excellent job of mimicing the carrera marble and the skyline impact will be minimal, except that FCP will no longer resemble British teeth.

You are grossly out of touch with reality if you think that is the case. Go walk into a supermarket out in the burbs and and random people if they know what the BMO tower is. I guarantee you 100% of them will.

Now ask if they know what the TD centre is... no one will have a clue. Trust me.

Sure the TD centre might be "a world-renowned icon of modernist architecture.", but 99% of people know very little about architecture.

The original blue "M-bar" logo that Hans Kleefeld designed for the bank was atop the building for almost 30 years, a fine example of typography fitting architecture - the corner notches of the tower repeated in the notch of the "M" logo. They monkeyed with the logo about five years ago, and weakened the effect.

You are grossly out of touch with reality if you think that is the case. Go walk into a supermarket out in the burbs and and random people if they know what the BMO tower is. I guarantee you 100% of them will.

Now ask if they know what the TD centre is... no one will have a clue. Trust me.

Sure the TD centre might be "a world-renowned icon of modernist architecture.", but 99% of people know very little about architecture.

And it shows, in where they live. But you've shown in the past that you have taste up your a**, so I don't blame you...

I also believe that your average person, not in-the-know, would be able to associate FCP's name (or 'the BMO tower') to the correct before they'd recognize the TD Centre and know it by name. Primarily because FCP the tallest in the cluster, and its constrasting white stands out. I don't see how stating this all of a sudden makes someone wrong or unappreciative of architecture, FCP is more instantly recognizable by people who don't know much about architecture and modernism. Before I actually knew the buildings downtown, years ago when I was young, FCP was the first that stood out visually. Although the first I associated a place with its name was the BCE Place, because my dad took me up there when I was 8 or 9. This of course excludes the CN Tower and Skydome, because I'm sure these are the first buildings in Toronto that anyone becomes aware of.

I went to school in Peel Region, and I'm pretty sure we covered Toronto in a 4th grade project. I also remember many field trips downtown over the years. Makes sense, because a good chunk of GTA students will probably end up working here at some point in their lives. I think it's safe to say that a lot of students have at least a passing familiarity with the city's skyline, if only because we've doodled the skyline in pencil crayon (which isn't difficult; we only have a few major stand-out skyscrapers in the core) umpteen times.

Whether they can name the buildings is irrelevant. They know what they look like and where they are in relation to the CN Tower and Skydome.

Last edited:
The "new" BMO logo isn't a whole lot different than the "old" one. Just updated with the times really. It's still got the B/M logo but inside a circle. Ooooh so different!

CIBC's logo changed more.

I went to school in Peel Region, and I'm pretty sure we covered Toronto in a 4th grade project. I also remember many field trips downtown over the years. Makes sense, because a good chunk of GTA students will probably end up working here at some point in their lives. I think it's safe to say that a lot of students have at least a passing familiarity with the city's skyline, if only because we've doodled the skyline in pencil crayon (which isn't difficult; we only have a few major stand-out skyscrapers in the core) umpteen times.

Whether they can name the buildings is irrelevant. They know what they look like and where they are in relation to the CN Tower and Skydome.

I went to school in peel as well. And walk into any classroom of any grade of any school in the entire peel region and I'll bet virtually no one will know what the TD centre is... excluding perhaps people who worked downtown on a summer job or something. Whereas many people will know FCP/the bmo tower. It's much more recognizable.

Funny thing is--nobody's mentioning what "ought to be" dead-on recognizable: the 161 Bay BCE tower--funny because, with its PoMo dirigible-mast finial, it's the main one with an Empire State/Chrysler-style "skyline". And with its logo, *it's* probably the "TD Canada Trust" tower mere ignorant yokels remember...

I gotta say, I knew FCP place first, because it was tallest, then the TD Canada Trust Tower, from the logo, then Commerce Court West, and the last comlex I actually realized the name of was the TD centre, simply because it's not that tall, and it a lot of towers rather spread out.

And round and round it goes.

Anyone can claim anything about how many people would recognize what, but no one has the results of scientific polling to back the assertions up, so...

snooze.

Back