Toronto Festival Tower and tiff Bell Lightbox | 156.96m | 42s | Daniels | KPMB

I think the solution to pigeons is simple: people need to start harassing them more. Run after them, kick at them, shoo them away. The problem is they have lost their fear of man, and we simply need to restore it.

I'm tired of these pests ruining my lunch.

haha! no doubt!. but pigeons are normal for city life. Every city has them. Thats the problem with urbanization. it creates more exposure to humans (lets not forget they are WILD animals)., and yes, the adapt to it.

I don't think the city treats them as pests.

Urban Toronto was fortunate enough to get an inside tour of Festival Tower courtesy of Tom Dutton, Senior Vice President of Daniels.

Over the next few days, we’ll be sharing our findings and filling in the details on this high-profile and skyline-changing development. So, stay tuned and enjoy.

Text by Doug Convoy, Photos by Interchange42.

This report focuses on Festival Tower’s signature balconies.

The balcony glazing is a low-iron glass covered 50% by ceramic frit. The frit is baked directly into the glass, giving the railings their milky-white appearance. Up close, this provides a reassuring sense of enclosure without compromising views, while from a distance and at street level, the building is given graphic punch against the surrounding skyline. To ensure just the right effect, the railing panels were installed in the reverse, with the smooth side of the frit facing in and the textured side facing out.

Fritted glass railings are significantly more expensive than plain glass railings but it was agreed all around that they had to be included in order to maintain KPMB’s vision for Festival Tower.

A close-up shot of a balcony glazing, which is 50% ceramic frit, 50% clear glass.

FestTwrBalc01.jpg

To ensure just the right effect on the skyline, the railing panels have been installed in the reverse, with the smooth side of the frit facing in and the textured side facing out.

FestTwrBalc02.jpg

FestTwrBalc07.jpg

The frit helps provide a subtle sense of enclosure without compromising views.

FestTwrBalc04.jpg

A milky appearance begins to emerge at a certain distance.

FestTwrBalc06.jpg

FestTwrBalc05.jpg

From a distance and at street level, the fritted glass railings give the building graphic punch against the surrounding skyline.

FestTwrBalc14.jpg

FestBeautyShot.jpg

That's it for the balconies. In our a coming report, we'll be taking you up to the roof. Next though, we'll take you inside the units. Stay tuned!

FestTwrBalc1pano.jpg

Last edited:
Brilliant stuff guys!!!!!
I love how balanced the city looks without the CBD! Its so nice to see the rest of the city! and i love the illusion the city always gives of expanding all the way to midtown! if you ask me, Murano and Casa really shine in that shot :D

Thanks for all the great shots and info!

i just find it hard to believe that the building is only 42 storey tall, but yet looking down from the top floor, it look like it's the tallest building in downtown.

We can tell you that the 42nd (and top) floor of this tower will be numbered 46. The 6th floor, where the condo commences at the top of the Lightbox, will be numbered 10. The reasoning is that the 5 floors below are essentially double-height floors, so 10 is comparatively correct. Otherwise, no other numbers will be skipped in this building: apparently they had no trouble selling units on the 13th floor, and there was never thought of skipping the 4s.

The tiff. Bell Lightbox sign makes me wonder if someone scratched a double prime symbol on a napkin instead of prime symbol. The thing looks about a twelfth the size it should be.

spinal_tap_stonehenge.jpg

Festival Tower Interiors

Text by Doug Convoy Photos by Interchange42

Urban Toronto’s tour continues inside Festival Tower and into the condo suites, which are in various states of completion; more so on the lower levels, less so on the upper levels. The top two floors are reserved for the largest penthouses, four per floor, with 11 ft ceilings on the uppermost level and 10 ft ceilings on the level below. These are followed by four floors of Signature Suites, with six per floor, then a number of floors with eight suites per floor. The 37th floor marks the approximate start of the more typical floors containing eleven suites per floor.

Balconies will be subdivided between condo units as construction continues.

FestTwrBalc10.jpg

On this level, metal studs for a condo suite’s interior partitions are in place.

FestTwrLoren31024.jpg

Some UT members have noted that a couple of storeys in Festival Tower are slightly higher than others, as evidenced by the larger gaps between balcony levels. On these floors, some height was added to provide room for conduits without affecting the standard ceiling height of 9 ft inside the condo suites.

FestTwrUnit11024.jpg

A typical kitchen. Cabinetry was done by Irpinia Kitchens and is available in various finishes. All units contain 100% Miele appliances.

FestTwrUnit21024.jpg

A typical bathroom with back-painted glass tile. Some quality control issues arose when the tiles were in transit from China but these have been meticulously resolved by the builder.

FestTwrBath1024.jpg

KPMB’s strong design concept for Festival Tower is apparent in small flourishes like this little reveal which adds additional view exposures.

FestTwrUnit3b1024.jpg

FestTwrUnit3a1024.jpg

A construction worker toils away on an mid-storey balcony.

FestTwrBalc121024.jpg

A construction worker in one of the less-complete, higher-floor suites.

FestTwrLoren11024.jpg

A view of one of the penthouses still very much under construction.

FestTwrPenthouse1024.jpg

A sweeping view of one of the spectacular penthouses on the two uppermost levels of the tower.

FestTwrPenthouse1024pano.jpg

A view into one of the penthouses through the hole in the roof once containing the construction crane. Next up, we’ll be taking you out onto the roof. So, stay tuned!

FestTwrCraneHole1024pano.jpg

Last edited:
EPIC tour guys! I never really knew the views on this tower were so good up until now! especially the east view which allows you to see the whole city running north to south! Its incredible!... don't like that bathroom though. those green tiles are not for me :D!

BTW: those residences will have the best view of trump!

Does anyone know when occupancy will likely start for the Festival Tower condos? (apologies if that was mentioned earlier in the thread, I couldn't find it)
thx in advance
dt

Occupancy is scheduled for December. Originally, it was September, but like all condos, it was delayed.

Nice tiles in the bathroom. Also like how they go around the bathtub and over by the vanity. Thanks for the pics!

Back