Toronto Festival Tower and tiff Bell Lightbox | 156.96m | 42s | Daniels | KPMB

I think the material of black panel is very cheap, you could see some of these panels the black collar has already get off. I believe they will repaint them after construction is over.

It's zinc so I'm pretty certain it's just dirt instead of the colour wearing off.

by me

sany2181.jpg

Yeah, the only negative is that balcony glass looks higher than normal, meaning the view out may be blocked unless you're standing...?

As for being all white in a row RR? Well, quite honestly, you really don't notice that when walking down King West. Photos tell one story, reality something else....

Yeah, seriously, not that bad... think of ancient Athens with all those white marble temples...same idea...ummm..sort of. :)

Yeah, the only negative is that balcony glass looks higher than normal, meaning the view out may be blocked unless you're standing...?

Actually, the balcony railing height is the same for this building as almost all others. The difference here (as I noticed way back when they first started cladding the balconies) is the glass overhangs the top of the balcony below. It gives a squint-like appearance to the opening of each balcony level. Look closely at the picture Mo-tage posted above. You can see this on the unfinished balconies.

So if you were standing on one of these balconies, there would be a valance of frosted glass at the top of your view.

Last edited:
good observation Traynor... I guess its meant to give a cleaner look to the finished building.

UD - as someone who deals in photos it is quite noticeable to me. Just think how much better Cal's photo would look if Festval was a contrasting colour!

The building is really starting to take shape up top. The mechanical area cladding seems to be complete and it just seems to be the last of the balcony's to be complete which appear to be as noted above, not higher than normal but hang below the floor line.

And they are a frosted glass not opaque so any resident can see through the balcony and does not have to peer over it.

The balconies are not frosted, they are fritted, and we'll have close-up shots of them and many more aspects of Festival Tower for you...

FestBeautyShot.jpg

all next week!

Same with mosquitoes. I've never been bitten in the City as many times as I have this summer. Re: pigeons, though Iceland is quite popular for bird-watchers (apparently), I did not see a single pigeon in Reykjavik. I assume several factors are at play: northern latitude, isolation from mainland Europe, and cleanliness. Many of the modern building there did have similar cladding as the Bell Lightbox, particularly the black panels, which were also uneven in some cases like the Lightbox's

One podium that belongs on a different building, note the red tinted windows:

dsc03369b.jpg

Or is the red from the building across the street?

5 June 2010: what really matters--the base.

dsc08694c.jpg

I think the solution to pigeons is simple: people need to start harassing them more. Run after them, kick at them, shoo them away. The problem is they have lost their fear of man, and we simply need to restore it.

I'm tired of these pests ruining my lunch.

Back