Toronto Festival Tower and tiff Bell Lightbox | 156.96m | 42s | Daniels | KPMB

I still don't care for that large swath of precast and the condo looks like it will be yet another generic one. I would've preferred the lightbox without it. I realize the necessity for the condo, but it still disappoints me that it's so bland.

November 1 Picture

Here's an interior shot for a change, looking west through the fence on the John St side:

4065531279_bc07820122_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41002894@N07/4065531279/

WHOAH!!!... NICE shot MatrixElement!!!!

*MAN.... that's an EPIC entrance to the building!!!!... the ceilings are SO tall, it's so big... Worthy of being "Festival Tower"!

I'm amazed that 90% of people on this forum haven't learned anything from the brilliant job condos have done to Bay Street. Let's destroy the 2nd best mid rise area in the city. While added density is welcomed, it could have been much better to insert dozens of places like East or Mozo in this neighbourhood to respect the character already established.

I'm amazed that 90% of people on this forum haven't learned anything from the brilliant job condos have done to Bay Street. Let's destroy the 2nd best mid rise area in the city. While added density is welcomed, it could have been much better to insert dozens of places like East or Mozo in this neighbourhood to respect the character already established.

Are you suggesting that height alone is enough to turn a lively area like King West into a dead zone like Bay Street? I think that there are much larger factors at play.

And anyway, this condo replaced a large parking lot. It may not be to your particular ideal, but it's certainly better than a patch of pavement.

There are enough parking lots in the entertainment district to drop a shitload of skyscrapers with digging even one of the old factory wharhouses sitting there now. there is no way anyone with any common sense to suggest the entertainment district will become like bay street the north or bay street the south all of these area have distinctly different functionings....

From Jasonzed at SSC:

20091101069.jpg

You can see that at full height, Festival Tower will really standout in this neighbourhood and create a new peak in the skyline.

Last edited:
Are you suggesting that height alone is enough to turn a lively area like King West into a dead zone like Bay Street? I think that there are much larger factors at play.
I do agree that there are other factors at play but I have yet to see an example of one anywhere in this city working. I just think that scale of these developments will create a cold, windy, unpleasant experience.

There are few places anywhere where a community of residential highrises "out does" one that is more midrise. Human scale is definitely the factor when it comes to it not only on street but, in the buildings themselves. I doubt the majority of "it's good but wish it were taller" crowd have ever lived on a high floor in a building and/or one with 300 suites.

Last edited:

Back