Toronto Fashion House | ?m | 12s | Freed | Core Architects

I was at the planning meeting put on by Adam Vaughan tonight, they talked about this project (thanks for the tip Marcus_A_J).

They're talking about extending Morrison Street and making it a pedestrian street (on the extension part), and the existing street as the vehicle entrance.

They were also saying that because the upper level has such a big setback, there's a lot of room for an amenity area. It could potentially have a rooftop pool and/or bar.

I think it'll be an excellent project.

Also, the pink and orange and fuschia colours are going to be standard curtains that are mandatory for some of the suites, and the south east corner is going to be two story retail units.

Apparently the pot lights infront/behind the curtains are going to turn on automatically for a couple hours of the night. Kind of stupid, if you ask me, but it allows it to "blend" with the historical building.

I like how they will be extending Morrison as a pedestrian street. All of the mid-block connections really enhance the area.

I wish I could have made it to the meeting. All of the meetings Adam Vaughan has hosted have been at inconvenient times for me (damn exams). The next one of these meetings is on Wednesday:

King-Spadina & Wellington Place Planning Meeting

Date: Wednesday, April 23, 2008
Time: 7:00 – 9:00 PM
Committee Room 1

There will be presentations about the following projects:

§ 456 Wellington St. W. (C Lounge)
§ 544 King St. W. (at Brant Street)
§ 620 King St. W. (at Portland Street)

(sorry about posting meeting info here, couldn't find any threads for these projects)

So Morrison will be extended and there will be a pedestrian walkway up from King and behind 455 Adelaide. That pedestrian orientation sounds nice. It also sounds like this project is actually made up three buildings: the one running along the wall of 455 Adelaide, the proposed building fronting onto King, and the structure to be built behind the existing Silver Plate building.

So Morrison will be extended and there will be a pedestrian walkway up from King and behind 455 Adelaide. That pedestrian orientation sounds nice. It also sounds like this project is actually made up three buildings: the one running along the wall of 455 Adelaide, the proposed building fronting onto King, and the structure to be built behind the existing Silver Plate building.

Which is the Silver Plate building?

There will be a pedestrian walkway up from King, then going west, where the garden area will be, between 455 and FashionHouse. The rest of Morrison (in how it is currently existing) will remain a road, and will likely be the entrance for the FashionHouse. They want to avoid having traffic come in and out of King (bad for traffic and the streetcars). Adam Vaughan was also talking about how Adelaide may eventually become a two way street.

And I'm not sure if this has been covered, but it's official, 560 and 570 King St West is assembled land, so Freed will be building one building on these two lots.

I like how they will be extending Morrison as a pedestrian street. All of the mid-block connections really enhance the area.

I wish I could have made it to the meeting. All of the meetings Adam Vaughan has hosted have been at inconvenient times for me (damn exams). The next one of these meetings is on Wednesday:

King-Spadina & Wellington Place Planning Meeting

Date: Wednesday, April 23, 2008
Time: 7:00 – 9:00 PM
Committee Room 1

There will be presentations about the following projects:

§ 456 Wellington St. W. (C Lounge)
§ 544 King St. W. (at Brant Street)
§ 620 King St. W. (at Portland Street)

(sorry about posting meeting info here, couldn't find any threads for these projects)

If anyone goes to this, please post the details. I can't make it either :(

560 & 570 King

It would appear from the rendering and description on the website (http://www.fashionhousecondos.com/) that Freed has or is in the process of securing both 560 and 570 King (the text on the website says in part "we're starting with a 160-year-old heritage building"). So it seems the 2006 proposal for the 570 King site (http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=7709&highlight=570+king) has been scrapped and re-worked as a single building covering both sites.

You were absolutely right Cabeman. I wonder if this means the original building height of 13 stories (for the 570 half) is now squashed in favour of something more complimentary to Freed's 455 Adelaide. Maybe.

I can't see the automatic "lights turning on behind curtains" feature remaining in the final product, but the whole pedestrian walkway idea is promising.

Wow - Adelaide to be turned into a two way street?

It is the present brick building at 570 King Street. It has heritage designation and will be included in this redevelopment. The one floor front addition will eventually be removed and the building will be restored. The ground level will include retail space. Take a look at the rendering on the http://www.fashionhousecondos.com/ site, you can clearly see the Silver Plate building.

Maybe Zoe's will relocated there before their present home disappears. Who knows.

I believe the plan for the 570 King site (as in the old proposal) is still to remove the 1-storey addition at the front, but the restored Silver Plate building would end up being all retail (I think under the old proposal the building was going to function as the main condo entrance).

I didn't take notes, but I recall mention of a sheer glass curtain wall on the King Street side, a more expensive option and one that I don't think has been used on other buildings of this sort in the neighbourhood.

The architect mentioned as well that full balconies on all of the units gave the appearance of being too bulky and the numbers were reduced as a result.

The old proposal for the 570 King site had the building running the entire length from King to Adelaide, whereas I believe the new proposal would create 2 separate structures (one on 560 King wrapping around behind the Silver Plate building and another on its own abutting 455 Adelaide on the west side). If I understood correctly the new proposal will create a decent sized pedestrian connection all the way west in behind the Devils Martini building. With the setback and courtyard proposed at the rear of the site I think this configuration will be better for the residents on the south side of 455 Adelaide than if these two sites had been developed separately.

It sounded like the Morrison Street connection is still up in the air in terms of configuration and traffic flow and a lot will depend on whether Allied ends up buying the Zoe's site.

Cabeman, I wasn't at the meeting, but just curious: from what I understand there still will be a walkway of sorts from King between the present 570 King building (Silver Plate) and the eventual Fashionhouse condo fronting onto King.

If this is so, this will actually mean three separate structures with walkways connecting all three buildings (as well as 455 Adelaide), and linking to King, Morrison, Adelaide and Portland. Any idea what will go up right behind 570 King?

Cabeman, I wasn't at the meeting, but just curious: from what I understand there still will be a walkway of sorts from King between the present 570 King building (Silver Plate) and the eventual Fashionhouse condo fronting onto King.

If this is so, this will actually mean three separate structures with walkways connecting all three buildings (as well as 455 Adelaide), and linking to King, Morrison, Adelaide and Portland. Any idea what will go up right behind 570 King?

Actually I'm a bit fuzzy on those details, you could be right, but for some reason I had it in my head that the 560 King structure would sort of wrap around behind the Silver Plate building and the main pedestrian connections would be on the east side of building (as seen in the rendering) and then around the back running west toward Portland.

Actually I'm a bit fuzzy on those details, you could be right, but for some reason I had it in my head that the 560 King structure would sort of wrap around behind the Silver Plate building and the main pedestrian connections would be on the east side of building (as seen in the rendering) and then around the back running west toward Portland.

I believe that the condo building immediately behind the Silver Plate building will be fairly close to it and it will be a sort of an atrium ie. a glass roof connecting the old with the new running east-west. The north/south connection to the west of the glass curtain wall front podium is not covered and is a walkway into that area. It's all sort of an L shape.

Off of Morrison St. and to the north of the glass curtain wall podium will be the east-west walkway/roadway separating 455 to these structures.

I believe that the condo building immediately behind the Silver Plate building will be fairly close to it and it will be a sort of an atrium ie. a glass roof connecting the old with the new running east-west. The north/south connection to the west of the glass curtain wall front podium is not covered and is a walkway into that area. It's all sort of an L shape.

Off of Morrison St. and to the north of the glass curtain wall podium will be the east-west walkway/roadway separating 455 to these structures.
Just got an invite to the Freed "Rock The Block" party.

May 10
9pm - 2am
@650 King Street W

It has a bunch of fancy corporate sponsors and DJ Dimitri from Paris will be there.

Back