Toronto Etobicoke Civic Centre | 75.82m | 16s | CreateTO | Henning Larsen

Which of the four entries in the Etobicoke Civic Centre design competition do you favour?

• Team 1: Moriyama + Teshima, MJMA, FORREC

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • Team 2: Diamond Schmitt Architects, Michael Van Valkenberg Associates

Votes: 26 24.3%
  • Team 3: KPMB Architects, West 8

Votes: 42 39.3%
  • Team 4: Henning Larsen, Adamson Associates, PMA Landscape Architects

Votes: 22 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm a little surprised by the massing of the buildings - it seems like a lot of space ? I thought most of the city offices are consolidated downtown at this point. The public amenities (e.g. swimming pools, day care, library, ...) make sense for sure but does anyone know the square footage there is here and is it all going to be used by the city ?

I am just grateful that public facilities in a good location are going to be built! Lol

Can we name the square in front ‘Krista Ford Plads?!’ They could also play her amazing and well-received anti-vax videos on a giant screen!

IMG_0075.jpeg

I'm a little surprised by the massing of the buildings - it seems like a lot of space ? I thought most of the city offices are consolidated downtown at this point. The public amenities (e.g. swimming pools, day care, library, ...) make sense for sure but does anyone know the square footage there is here and is it all going to be used by the city ?
Regarding consolidation of City office spaces, yes there's a lot working out of City Hall and Metro Hall, but there's still plenty of staff based out of North York Civic Centre and Scarborough Civic Centre. This will be essentially the third pillar in terms of major suburban office sites. Additionally there are still some sites across the city other than the civic centers that can still be consolidated. When Council approved the ModernTO plan, it was contingent on ECC being built so there would be enough office space (which will ultimately be about 1/3 less than before ModernTO) to cancel various leases and sell off surplus properties.

Regarding consolidation of City office spaces, yes there's a lot working out of City Hall and Metro Hall, but there's still plenty of staff based out of North York Civic Centre and Scarborough Civic Centre. This will be essentially the third pillar in terms of major suburban office sites. Additionally there are still some sites across the city other than the civic centers that can still be consolidated. When Council approved the ModernTO plan, it was contingent on ECC being built so there would be enough office space (which will ultimately be about 1/3 less than before ModernTO) to cancel various leases and sell off surplus properties.

Ah, thanks a ton for the explanation, that makes a lot more sense now !

And of course people on FB are pissing and moaning about this project. I get so tired of all that nonsense...
That's hilarious. In early community meetings for all the change in this area there were mostly complaints about needing parks and public facilities to handle all the new people. Now in the same groups it's a lot of complaining about wasting tax payer money on... parks and facilities.

That's hilarious. In early community meetings for all the change in this area there were mostly complaints about needing parks and public facilities to handle all the new people. Now in the same groups it's a lot of complaining about wasting tax payer money on... parks and facilities.
Yes, because it’s always about “stop liking what we don’t like “. /sigh

There is nothing negative about this development and any suggestion otherwise is ridiculous and intellectually dishonest. Civic and community centres have the potential to transform a neighbourhood (Yonge-Sheppard, Regent Park, CityPlace...) And with 1000s of people living in the area in towers already with 1000s more coming, there needs to be an anchor, park and services for the area. Not everyone has a backyard or even sometimes a balcony to enjoy.

Back