Toronto Empire Midtown | ?m | 16s | Empire | Richmond Architects

Well, its more than just an eglinton Allen problem. Lawrence is just as bad as eglinton. The problem is really a highway ending at an arterial forcing many many cars on to local roads. Really the road seems useless, I mean I use it every day, but it would probably still be better to have it not exist at all. Its often faster to just get off the 401 at avenue rd, and drive across Lawrence. It really causes major problems to the local arterials, which would run sleamlessly if the highway were not exiting on to them. At least potentially.

I dont doubt that Lawrence is negatively effected by the allen as well. However Eglinton unlike Lawrence has retail lining it all the way to Keele. This retail is theoretically in a great position to be part of a walkable sustainable community. However because there is such congestion as a result of the Allen it is not a desireable area to walk and shop. Redevelopement and buildings such as this proposal will help the community but as long as the ALLEN is there it is a deterent to any real Future Change.

This is a lousy area. Let's hope this gets built because anything would be an improvement.

but again its area has a ton of potential because of the LRT and still relatively cheap land and great access to downtown..

Lol, the white folks must be ruining the neighbourhood. I do agree that west of both Vaughan as well as Oakwood are good areas the rest including Eglington West past Marlee Ave is crap. I do hope this project helps improve that neighbourhood.

Yes this area may be considered crap in comparison to yorkville or rosedale but with all the shops denying the potential future is quite brash. We have all scene how the condos at st Claire have started to make a significant difference to the neighbourhood along with the new streetcar row. This area too has much going for it with the new lrt on the way. One could think elsewise but I would have to question either the lack of fore sight or elitism of such a comment.

I agree with tolling the Allen, most expressways really. But they will never make the northbound allen accessable from the east side only. The residents and businesses would be up in arms and you'd never hear the end of it. It's unfortunately like night and day on Eglinton when you compare the west side of the Allen to the east, but the traffic is bad on both sides trying to access the Allen. The congestion on Eglinton is also a result of so many sidestreets in the area having no left/right turn on Eglinton signs, and being one way to discourage traffic, so literally every car in the neighbourhood has to use Eglinton, which is the way it should be. People should just find other ways, and hopefully they will once the LRT is done.

As an employee of this area (sort of, Bathurst & St. Clair), and a driver who often sits in that Eglinton traffic when I can't take the subway, I would love to see this building get built. Any investment in this neighbourhood is a step in the right direction.

The allen issue goes further than just Eglinton, many local roads all around are affected, as is Lawrence ave just as much as Eglinton. The plan is to grow marlee through Lawrence once the mall has been demo'd. But I think the problems of the Allen are bigger than just running Marlle through and are common when you run a highway to nowhere run through the middle of a neighbourhood in a highly populated area. It cuts a neighbourhood in half, causes property values to be dramatically different on both sides of the track, and creates a barrier, as with the gardiner downtown. Since its there, there is little choice in demoing it though, so instead why not build over it with condos and bury it. I think it was mentioned in the recent magazine spaced...or maybe I am confusing my magazines. Anyway, a good idea in my opinion to do something with the space that the highway takes up. We have the knowledge, it can be done, although first we would need a new mayor and some political willpower I guess... :(

I don't think this is a lousy area at all... Eglinton West is an interesting neighbourhood, part of what makes Toronto as great as it is, comparable to Kensington, St Clair W, Junction.. It's unfortunate that this area will probably not retain it's unique cultural make up once the LRT is built. The retail often found in condos pale's in comparison to what's currently on this block. I'm not saying the retail currently there is perfect, but they collectively create a vibrant neighbourhood. Hopefully some of the local business owners grow better with the neighbourhood, but I'm afraid they will be pushed out.

How can we intensify without destroying what make's Toronto interesting in the first place? Maybe we should encourage smaller footprint developments equivalent to the size of one or two retail units, like in the old days? Or maybe retail units can be designed to blend into the framework of existing retail units with brickwork facing the street and no over hang to shadow the units in darkness? I don't know, but we need to figure it out before condos suck the life out of streets like Eglinton and St Clair W.

Kensington ? Huh ... I don't see it. St Clair yep ... but not anywhere on St. Clair west ! A lot of St. Clair west is more similar to Eglinton east of the Alan ! But I'd say St. Clair west west :) is similar to Eglinton wet of the Alan ... and I agree it has some character.

Eglinton east of the Alan is really interesting ! I don't see how anyone can thinking otherwise, its changed a lot from say 20 years ago.

Now west of the Alan, not so much (this is just west). The area hasn't seen much gentrification as compared to the east part. I think the LRT will change that yes.

Back