Toronto Emerald Park Condos | 128.92m | 40s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

No idea when it's actually going to be completed, but the residents are notified earlier this week that they will begin the construction

Well then,... the residents of Emerald Park are being lied to - again! Shocking, eh?

I can guarantee you - construction for a Metro at Emerald Park will not start next month. If you want to doubt me, put some money on the table and make a bet.

Well then,... the residents of Emerald Park are being lied to - again! Shocking, eh?

I can guarantee you - construction for a Metro at Emerald Park will not start next month. If you want to doubt me, put some money on the table and make a bet.
Wow, well.. good point. Shouldn't have gotten my hope up too quickly

Another water pipe breakage happen yesterday at Emerald Park,... seems like annual event - once every year since completion!
https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/burst-pipe-in-toronto-condo-building-catastrophic-failure
Video on Reddit seems to show floor number 41 at elevator - thus, this is the taller East Tower closer to Yonge which is technically 40-storey but they skip floor number,... anyways, this is water pipe breakage is very high up on East Tower and potentially flooding every unit below it,.... the water level in seems to be about 2"-3" in hallway!!!

EmeraldPark_HallwayFlood2.PNG

Once the water breakage is fixed, how do they ensure that there’s no structural damage?
I have always presumed structures made of concrete have more durability than that which is made of wood (where I live, for example) when it comes to flooding of this magnitude. I can't vouch for everything else that gets caught up in it though. Yikes indeed!

Once the water breakage is fixed, how do they ensure that there’s no structural damage?
I have always presumed structures made of concrete have more durability than that which is made of wood (where I live, for example) when it comes to flooding of this magnitude. I can't vouch for everything else that gets caught up in it though. Yikes indeed!
My understanding is that salt water is the main problem when it comes to concrete? That would explain why the underside of the Gardiner is such a mess but most of the Brutalist buildings are doing just fine.

Another water pipe breakage happen yesterday at Emerald Park,... seems like annual event - once every year since completion!
https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/burst-pipe-in-toronto-condo-building-catastrophic-failure
Video on Reddit seems to show floor number 41 at elevator - thus, this is the taller East Tower closer to Yonge which is technically 40-storey but they skip floor number,... anyways, this is water pipe breakage is very high up on East Tower and potentially flooding every unit below it,.... the water level in seems to be about 2"-3" in hallway!!!

View attachment 315552
Did Bazis use copper pipes or PVC (plastic) pipes for the water lines? How many floors down was their water infiltration?

Did Bazis use copper pipes or PVC (plastic) pipes for the water lines? How many floors down was their water infiltration?

Emerald Park completed about 6 years ago,... flooding is almost an annual event! Prior floods include top floor sprinkler pipe break just before occupancy, pipe break in food court ceiling - twice, parking garage sewage flood, idiot on 7 or 8th floor of West Tower leaving window open when going on vacation in Winter - froze pipe broke!, etc,... Bazis cut way too many corners - we saw that during construction,... these residents are now paying the price!

In summer 2016 when food court flooded - that was due to installation issues and something malfunctioned - to a non-pro idiot like me, the hardware look fine!
https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...varacalli-complete.4829/page-127#post-1138977

But the flood on Monday April 26, 2021 - most epic so far,... the video shows:
- Floor number 41 at elevator,... so basically one of the penthouse floor on taller East Tower
- since top of East Tower curves to west - flooded entire floor hallway seems to be 2"-3" deep (looking at hallway baseboard) and water flooded into and throughout all condo units and out balcony doors which likely have a 1" raised edge for those sliding doors! See video below taken from Emerald Park shorter and dryer West Tower,... looking at curve side of flooded East Tower and notice water raining down from upper curved balcony - video also shows bright sunny skies without a cloud in sight! (In Vancouver, water leaks into condo tower,... at Emerald Park water leaks out of condo tower!)
- Building management determined that floor 25-42 of East Tower was un-inhabitable due to lack of electrical power,... good luck leaving because elevators aren't working and stair-wells became Niagara Falls!
- Due to amount of water - maybe a main water break in roof mechanical room???? The last few past nights were below freezing,.. and I recall in past winters I would see snow and ice accumulate inside those roof mechanical rooms - they have clear glass
https://www.tiktok.com/foryou?lang=...9#/@superlifecanada/video/6955645085950184709

And yesterday - one day after the flood - building management sends out letter warning residents to do fan coil maintenance! I highly doubt an air conditioner can even fill a bucket with water!
EmeraldPark_Flood27April2021_ManagementLetter.jpg

Anyways,... walking by Emerald Park north side today, I noticed there are white vans galore all over the place - all with various HVAC & Flood maintenance logos.

Emerald Park completed about 6 years ago,... flooding is almost an annual event! Prior floods include top floor sprinkler pipe break just before occupancy, pipe break in food court ceiling - twice, parking garage sewage flood, idiot on 7 or 8th floor of West Tower leaving window open when going on vacation in Winter - froze pipe broke!, etc,... Bazis cut way too many corners - we saw that during construction,... these residents are now paying the price!

In summer 2016 when food court flooded - that was due to installation issues and something malfunctioned - to a non-pro idiot like me, the hardware look fine!
https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...varacalli-complete.4829/page-127#post-1138977

But the flood on Monday April 26, 2021 - most epic so far,... the video shows:
- Floor number 41 at elevator,... so basically one of the penthouse floor on taller East Tower
- since top of East Tower curves to west - flooded entire floor hallway seems to be 2"-3" deep (looking at hallway baseboard) and water flooded into and throughout all condo units and out balcony doors which likely have a 1" raised edge for those sliding doors! See video below taken from Emerald Park shorter and dryer West Tower,... looking at curve side of flooded East Tower and notice water raining down from upper curved balcony - video also shows bright sunny skies without a cloud in sight! (In Vancouver, water leaks into condo tower,... at Emerald Park water leaks out of condo tower!)
- Building management determined that floor 25-42 of East Tower was un-inhabitable due to lack of electrical power,... good luck leaving because elevators aren't working and stair-wells became Niagara Falls!
- Due to amount of water - maybe a main water break in roof mechanical room???? The last few past nights were below freezing,.. and I recall in past winters I would see snow and ice accumulate inside those roof mechanical rooms - they have clear glass
https://www.tiktok.com/foryou?lang=...9#/@superlifecanada/video/6955645085950184709

And yesterday - one day after the flood - building management sends out letter warning residents to do fan coil maintenance! I highly doubt an air conditioner can even fill a bucket with water!
View attachment 315819

Anyways,... walking by Emerald Park north side today, I noticed there are white vans galore all over the place - all with various HVAC & Flood maintenance logos.

SMH!

Clearly some things done wrong here from the get-go; but the management team does not impress.

Clearly some things done wrong here from the get-go; but the management team does not impress.
Is it the norm to rely on unit owners to perform this maintenance? In my building, fan coil maintenance is the responsibility of building management. I'm not sure I'd be keen on depending on other owners for that maintenance to take place.

Is it the norm to rely on unit owners to perform this maintenance? In my building, fan coil maintenance is the responsibility of building management. I'm not sure I'd be keen on depending on other owners for that maintenance to take place.

Fair question.

I don't know what the most common practice is in the industry; but certainly it's my instinct that this type of maintenance should be performed by the Condo Corp. Not so much a legal opinion, as what I would deem good sense.

I can comment on this ...

So in most newer buildings, and by that I mean 20/25 years or newer, the fan coil units are typically owned by residents. Given that, in theory residents need to perform maintenance on the fan coil unit (the list provided in the link above is fairly typical for annual or better yet semi-annual maintenance when switching from cooling to heating). With that said, the vast majority of buildings I know do complimentary maintenance (of course this isn't free, it's a common expense so everyone is paying through condo fees), but if any repairs are needed the owners are charged or asked to repair. The reason this is done is it's common for fan coil units to leak (though usually the leaks are fairly minor but can impact multiple units) due to drip tray issues or the like ... so this is a preventative measure to help avoid that ...

In older buildings though it can be common for the fan coil unit to be an exclusive use common area element implying the condo board is responsible for maintenance and replacement.

One problem a lot of boards have faced this last year was doing any maintenance (regardless of who pays) due to concerns of Covid and hesitation of residents to have contractors in their suites performing the fairly quick inspection/maintenance/filter replacement. I know boards have taken different approaches here, some have just done the maintenance and if owners refuse handling it on a case-by-case basis, others foregoing it entirely and providing filters to at least replace those.

Anyway, the severity the leak really makes me think it's something else, or if it is related to the fan coils it would be something much more major, for example the risers (these are large pipes from the boilers/coolers that go from the ground to the top floor and provide the cold/hot water the circulates through the fan coil unit to produce the cool/hot air) themselves shifting, which lead to a much larger leak (but that's not something typical fan coil maintenance would have caught).

Back