Toronto Elektra Condos | 133.5m | 42s | Menkes | Giannone Petricone

Filmores is a bit of an anti-hero Toronto institution in a lot of ways. Certianly the most famous club of it's type in the city.

We've known this was coming for a while now, but still. Strip-clubs are a rapidly dying breed.

Wouldn't be surprised if redevelopment emerges for the Brass Rail block on Yonge, south of Bloor within this decade.

Toronto landmark Filmores Hotel sold to developer for $31.5 million

By Tom Yun Staff Reporter
Fri., Jan. 31, 2020

The property that’s home to Filmores Hotel, a downtown Toronto landmark best known for its downstairs strip club, has been sold to a developer for $31.5 million.

The deal closed on Jan. 16 and Menkes Development is the new owner.

Filmores has been in operation at 218 Dundas St. E. since 1985.

Before that, another strip club was operating in the building under the name Stage 212.

The building is a historic one. It was built more than 100 years ago as the Wilton Court Apartments. By 1915, it was the upscale Wilton Court Private Hotel. In 2016, the city listed it as a heritage property, citing its early 20th century Edwardian classical styling.

One of the biggest blights in the area, I always feel sketched out whenever I walk by this section between Filmores and Sherbourne.

Not sure what to make of the heritage claims on the hotel, maybe I dismiss the heritage claims too quickly because of the seediness of the immediate vicinity. There could be merits to some form of preservation. What I do think though is that the status quo does not reflect contemporary Toronto (not to say that I have confidence in Menkes delivering anything but an eyesore on the site).

The transaction record for this is for $51,518,000. Not sure where the Star is getting their info.

The $51.5M is the combined price for two sites: Filmore's (212 Dundas St. E. / PIN 21100-0061) and the adjacent parking lot (218 Dundas St. E. / PIN 21100-0066). The Star may be correct in the price for the Filmore's site only.

With the combined space of Filmores and the parking lot, I can see Menkes going for 2 towers here, likely in the height range of Dundas Square Gardens and Grid.

FYI - from the Star:

Toronto landmark Filmores Hotel sold to developer for $31.5 million

By TOM YUN STAFF REPORTER
Fri., Jan. 31, 2020

The property that’s home to Filmores Hotel, a downtown Toronto landmark best known for its downstairs strip club, has been sold to a developer for $31.5 million.

The deal closed on Jan. 16 and Menkes Development is the new owner.

Filmores has been in operation at 218 Dundas St. E. since 1985.

Before that, another strip club was operating in the building under the name Stage 212.

The building is a historic one. It was built more than 100 years ago as the Wilton Court Apartments. By 1915, it was the upscale Wilton Court Private Hotel. In 2016, the city listed it as a heritage property, citing its early 20th century Edwardian classical styling.

Howard Adams, the president of Filmores and the previous owner of the property, declined to comment.

But in 2017, he told the Globe and Mail that he was open to offers and would sell if “somebody convinces me that there’s a better use for the site.”

It’s not yet known what Menkes plans to do with the property, but the neighbourhood, known as the Garden District, has seen a boom in high-rise condominium development in recent years.

The number of strip clubs in the city has been on a steady decline. Recent prominent closures include the House of Lancaster, Caddy’s, Jilly’s and Remington’s.

While adult entertainment establishments are on the wane, there is still a small market for them. I think the city should really reevaluate their grandfathering of all adult establishments and allow some new ones to open in new spots (within reason) if someone wants to give it a go.

20200204_152657.jpg
20200204_152720.jpg
20200204_152852.jpg

One of the biggest blights in the area, I always feel sketched out whenever I walk by this section between Filmores and Sherbourne.

Not sure what to make of the heritage claims on the hotel, maybe I dismiss the heritage claims too quickly because of the seediness of the immediate vicinity. There could be merits to some form of preservation. What I do think though is that the status quo does not reflect contemporary Toronto (not to say that I have confidence in Menkes delivering anything but an eyesore on the site).

Dundas between Church and Broadview has always been sketchy no matter what time of the day it is. As you say, the hotel does have heritage value, gentrification is needed.

The stretch of Dundas in and around Filmores has always been filled with the homeless and low income but I am glad to see gentrification is taking hold. If that means Filmores has to go then so be it.

Back