Toronto Eighty One Wellesley | 97.53m | 28s | Aragon Properties | Core Architects

No opposition to this?

Application: Demolition Folder (DM) Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M4Y 1H6

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 11 319459 DEM 00 DM Accepted Date: Dec 1, 2011

Project: Office Demolition

Description: permit to demolish 2 esiting office buildings on existing lot.

There's an open meeting from 7-9pm at the 519 Community Centre for the Church-Wellesley Residents Association, I'll be tabling this!

Church Street (south of Gay Village), around Carlton is where this is needed to fill in the ugly parking lots and incomplete streetscape.

Haha, that's so true.
It is the street between Alexandra all the way to Queen that needs tons of development and beautification (and from Carleton to Queen on Jarvis as well). The village itself is fine between Isabella and Alexandra. Just some restoration work should be enough.

It's Alexander Street, not Alexandra. There's no need, nor room for any development until south of Church & Carlton, the two exceptions being the parking lot on the s/e corner of Wood & Church and the n/e corner of Carlton & Church which may be re-developed but there's nothing firm on that yet. South of Carlton to Queen, and even beyond, there are certainly some great opportunities for development but there's also some fine old stock to be found along this stretch too. As for beautification, there are plenty of properties that could use some TLC along Church Street.

Last edited:
It's a deep lot. But I don't know if a tower could be easily set behind the house. There's also a coach house at the back, that I can't see remaining if a tower is planned for the site.

81wells.jpg

churchwells.jpg

Odette House at 81 Wellesley E. and the couch house out back are now lost, before the battle could even be fought. How can this continue to happen?

Application# Application Type Date Status

81 WELLESLEY ST E
11 319459 DEM 00 Demolition Folder (DM) Dec 1, 2011 Permit Issued

OMG, this is hugely sad and frustrating. I just came across this thread -- obviously later than I'd like. So is the white building gone?

Church St seriously needs some sort of designation that would preserve its character. You think these condo dwellers who move in are going to welcome the loud music on Friday and Saturday nights, or the half- and fully-naked Pride parade revellers, or the drunken men that come out of the nightclubs at 2am? If development takes over Church St, the gay community will lose its home. I'm really worried about this.

OMG, this is hugely sad and frustrating. I just came across this thread -- obviously later than I'd like. So is the white building gone?

Church St seriously needs some sort of designation that would preserve its character. You think these condo dwellers who move in are going to welcome the loud music on Friday and Saturday nights, or the half- and fully-naked Pride parade revellers, or the drunken men that come out of the nightclubs at 2am? If development takes over Church St, the gay community will lose its home. I'm really worried about this.

Of course not, they will do exactly what the condo owners did at the Alexus and that is make sure nobody lingers too long on their stretch of pavement. They will work hard to close down patios and turn off the music, until the Village resembles the suburban blandness they came downtown to escape. This scenario just seems to repeat itself over and over and our politicians are such self-serving drones, they jump through hoops to accommodate their demands. It's just crazy. I hate this selfish attitude but it will only get worse, until our politicians stand up to the residents.

If you don't like to hear music and crowds of people, why move into a crowded, noisy neighbourhood? People are ridiculous.

Of course not, they will do exactly what the condo owners did at the Alexus and that is make sure nobody lingers too long on their stretch of pavement. They will work hard to close down patios and turn off the music, until the Village resembles the suburban blandness they came downtown to escape. This scenario just seems to repeat itself over and over and our politicians are such self-serving drones, they jump through hoops to accommodate their demands. It's just crazy. I hate this selfish attitude but it will only get worse, until our politicians stand up to the residents.

If you don't like to hear music and crowds of people, why move into a crowded, noisy neighbourhood? People are ridiculous.

Here, Here!
I cannot believe I was once told on by a local resident that I was drinking in Public.. DURING PRIDE!
The Cop didn't care, simply said to try and not make it so obvious. But I mean, COME ON!!

Can we keep Leslieville a secret, everyone? Queer West's secret was out before we could take over completely. Maybe Leslieville can be our new fun village.

..Err, wait.. did I say Leslieville? I actually meant Weston. Ya.. Weston. Hear that Realtors, go 'gentrify' Weston!! ;)

The white building, Odette House and the matching coach house out back, have not been taken down yet.
The Church Wellesley Neighbourhood Association is working to have Church Street from Isabella to Alexander Street designated as a historical district.

That's just not true here, the reason was the dramatic increase in crime in the past couple of years - it wasn't a noise issue. I lived there for five years and was on the Board of Directors, the only noise problems I can recall was when Timothy's would close late at night and chairs were dragged around when mopping the floors or something, a few 2nd floor residents complained about that and the problem was rectified shortly thereafter plus the first month or so of filming season 1 of Queer As Folk late at night. That was also rectified by the production company via Kyle Rae, they stopped using bull horns and shots were changed so that the bright lights wouldn't shine in resident's windows.
It should also be noted that the Councillor for our Ward, Councillor Wong-Tam strongly supports night street life and patios, but outdoor music has to be off by 11pm as that's the noise by-law.

Last edited:
Saw that, it looks like Odette House and the couch house out back will be gone by tomorrow. Shame.

They are demolishing from the back of the Odette House forward and the third floor is gone. The coach house remains untouched today.

It's amazing how fast and stealthily they've gotten this far. And how do they get away with that demo site. No hoarding or warning signs, the front gate is wide open and debris is falling off the roof onto the front of the property.

Back