Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Wanting to be sure I'm understanding this correctly.... an east on Eglinton to north on 27 flyover?

- Paul

Yes. The only over capacity vehicle movement at this intersection is east on Eglinton to north on Highway 27. The flyover would fix this.

Also note that one of the primary reasons this intersection is so congested is “weaving”. You can see a diagram of this posted on the map above. The problem is that drivers who want to go northbound on Highway 27 from either eastbound Eglinton Avenue Avenue or northbound Highway 427 all need to make it from the right-most lane on Eglinton Avenue to the left-most lane on Eglinton Avenue. This weaving through traffic causes a lot of congestion. The proposed flyover would be on the right side of the road, which means that these drivers can get onto northbound Highway 27, without ever leaving the rightmost lane.

And it should be noted that with or without the LRT, this particular movement at the intersection would be over capacity. The LRT wasn’t expected to make the capacity issue any worse.

Yes. The only over capacity vehicle movement at this intersection is east on Eglinton to north on Highway 27. The flyover would fix this.

Also note that one of the primary reasons this intersection is so congested is “weaving”. You can see a diagram of this posted on the map above. The problem is that drivers who want to go northbound on Highway 27 from either eastbound Eglinton Avenue Avenue or northbound Highway 427 all need to make it from the right-most lane on Eglinton Avenue to the left-most lane on Eglinton Avenue. This weaving through traffic causes a lot of congestion. The proposed flyover would be on the right side of the road, which means that these drivers can get onto northbound Highway 27, without ever leaving the rightmost lane.

And it should be noted that with or without the LRT, this particular movement at the intersection would be over capacity. The LRT wasn’t expected to make the capacity issue any worse.
East on Eglinton, is actually people exiting from 401. Maybe the solution is to improve the 409 to highway 27 exit (currently its an indirect exit).

Noticed a few points from the Crosstown West "Current Work" website, at this link.

1. Martin Grove and Eglinton West anticipated report: Early 2018

2. History of the Eglinton and Martin Grove Area
  • - Early 1970s – Plans completed for the Richview Expressway – an expressway along Eglinton with an interchange at Martin Grove – with construction of high speed flyover ramps to and from Eglinton at the Highway 401/ 427 interchange.
  • - Late 1970s – Construction of the Richview Expressway was not carried forward but the interchange and highway ramps remained, feeding traffic directly onto Eglinton Avenue.
  • - 2016 - The Martin Grove intersection was identified as one of the top 10 congestion hotspots in the City – implementation of several interventions (e.g., optimized signal timing) to try to address traffic issues.
3. Current Issues
  • - Highway ramps feed onto Eglinton, resulting in high volumes of merging, weaving, turning and diverting traffic.
  • - Missing links in the road network force some highway traffic to use Martin Grove Road to reach Highway 401, and some Eglinton Avenue traffic to use Martin Grove Road to reach Highway 27.
  • - Martin Grove intersection sees two to three times more left-turns than an average intersection. (Because of the missing 401 west to 27 north link?)
4. Next Steps
Current-issues.jpg

Identification of design alternatives to improve traffic. These could include:
  • - A simplified, more connected road network
  • - Intersection capacity improvements
  • - New ramps
  • - Transit links
  • - Traffic management techniques
Noticed that they may have "funds" available for highway or road improvements. Just wonder if there will be the same "funds" available for the Eglinton West LRT.

Will have to wait for "Early 2018", before commenting. Will be focusing on ramps, bridges, overpasses, and/or underpasses for both the road improvements and light rail or just for roads.

I don't understand what they are proposing. Are they replacing the 27 SBL to Eglinton EBL ramp with an Eglinton EBL to 27 NBL and what's with the ramp from Eglinton EBL to 27 SBL. That second one is really 401 EBL to 427 SBL, which can already be done. What they show has some serious weaving.

Last edited:
Are we talking about the junction where Eglinton connects to the 401 on-off ramps?

From my experience, the greater congestion happens further east as cars from 427, 401, and Eglinton converge eastbound up the hill to Martin Grove. There is certainly plenty of weaving in that zone, but a better route to the 27 won't impact that.

- Paul

Then there is all the westbound traffic on Eglinton Avenue West backing up from Martin Grove to Kipling (sometimes to Islington). The light rail has to bypass that congestion as much as possible by getting to the south side of Eglinton and avoiding the congestion at Martin Grove/Eglinton/427/401/27 entirely.

Why don't they consider lowering the roadway of the Eglinton traffic lanes. Keep Martin Grove roadway lanes and the LRT tracks at grade. The turning lanes would all be at grade which will lead back to Eglinton traffic lanes as the raise to at grade.

This will keep Eglinton traffic moving, reduce conflict points at this dangerous intersection where many were killed, reduce LRV dwelling time, ensure accessibility for all riders, meet most criteria for easy access and provide a safer access to the LRT platform.

Why don't they consider lowering the roadway of the Eglinton traffic lanes. Keep Martin Grove roadway lanes and the LRT tracks at grade. The turning lanes would all be at grade which will lead back to Eglinton traffic lanes as the raise to at grade.

This will keep Eglinton traffic moving, reduce conflict points at this dangerous intersection where many were killed, reduce LRV dwelling time, ensure accessibility for all riders, meet most criteria for easy access and provide a safer access to the LRT platform.

Too expensive. There was money for a grade separated Richview Expressway, but for transit, no money for grade separations, even for just intersections.

Too expensive. There was money for a grade separated Richview Expressway, but for transit, no money for grade separations, even for just intersections.
I don't think its about money.
I think there are some at TTC thinks it's preferable to run in traffic since it will be the beginning of the end of using Eglinton as an arterial road.

Too expensive. There was money for a grade separated Richview Expressway, but for transit LRT, no money for grade separations, even for just intersections.
I've said it before, LRT doesn't have the be grade separated. If this is marketed and built as a metro, there will be money for grade separation.

I don't think its about money.
I think there are some at TTC thinks it's preferable to run in traffic since it will be the beginning of the end of using Eglinton as an arterial road.

This is such a danger. The original traffic studies in the EA postulated that the LRT would lead to "evaporation" of auto demand as the area became more difficult to navigate. They used that premise to justify lowering their traffic projections.

I'm not an expert - is this a standard traffic analysis methodology supported by empirical findings from elsewhere? It sure seems counter-intuitive to suppose that auto traffic in an intensifying city could just vanish. Is this solid analysis, or wishful massaging of the results?

The last few limos and taxis that I have taken to the airport have taken some very creative routes, where they used to just head up Islington or Kipling and hang a left onto Eglinton. Through traffic is infiltrating the residential neighbourhoods.

Eglinton is, and should continue to be, the most significant east west arterial road in Etobicoke. It links much of York and central Etobicoke with the 401/427/410 road network. This is especially so for trucks who deliver to businesses and construction projects in that area.While higher order transit is the right tool to manage growth and seize modal share, we should not be cavalier about maintaining traffic flows.

- Paul

Based on the Finch West LRT website, at this link,

For the Finch West LRT line, applying these principles has led us to propose changes to four stop names. Recognizing the importance of balancing technical requirements with public input, we are seeking your feedback on new names:
  1. Jane and Finch (currently Jane)
  2. Mount Olive (currently Kipling)
  3. Thistletown (currently Islington)
  4. Emery Village (currently Weston)
and this map:
finchwest-map.jpg

Many of the working names on the Eglinton West LRT stops/stations will end up way different than as presented.

2017-EgWestLRT-Approved-10-Stops-sm.jpg

I can see the names for Martin Grove, Kipling, Islington, Royal York, and Jane being replaced.

Rexdale and Eglington Flats could be a couple of names that could be used.

Last edited:

and this map:
finchwest-map.jpg

Many of the working names on the Eglinton West LRT stops/stations will end up way different than as presented.

I can see the names for Martin Grove, Kipling, Islington, Royal York, and Jane being replaced.

Name the stations after paint colours:

64B43DA4-7D17-4D77-9E87-89F59890D4E9.jpeg

Attachments

• 64B43DA4-7D17-4D77-9E87-89F59890D4E9.jpeg
    64B43DA4-7D17-4D77-9E87-89F59890D4E9.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 996

and this map:
finchwest-map.jpg

Once EWLRT is built, I could see the Mississauga Transitway converted to LRT and interlined from YYZ through Renforth.

Back