Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Decided to walk the dog across the bridge again and saw that Renny (the TBM that broke through last week) has since been moved out of the tunnel
20240529_110325.jpg

Decided to walk the dog across the bridge again and saw that Renny (the TBM that broke through last week) has since been moved out of the tunnel
View attachment 567882

I contacted Metrolinx on what they're plan is for the TBMs and this is their response:

Over the next 4 – 6 weeks the TBMs will be disassembled and transported to our site at Renforth and Eglinton.

There are a couple of outcomes to where the TBMs end up.

1. It can be sold back to the manufacturer, refurbished, and used on another job anywhere in the world.
  1. It can be used for another tunneling project in the GTA if the TBM is compatible with the tunnel specs. (Each TBM is customized for the tunnel project)
The used “tools” on the cutterhead, like cutters and rippers, have been saved and will be sent for recycling as scrap metal.

I hope this answers your question.

John

Looks like they haven't made a decision yet and for now the TBMs are gonna be chilling at Renforth and Eglinton until it's figured out!

Another response from Metrolinx regarding my question about the airport extension:

Thank you for reaching out to us regarding the Eglinton Crosstown West Extension project.

As of right now there are not updates for the airport segment. The Province is committed to establishing connectivity with Pearson International Airport. Funding for planning and design work for the Airport segment was included in the Ontario 2022 budget and the federal government also committed funds to the next phase of work.

We are actively collaborating with the Greater Toronto Airports Authority and municipal partners to explore a connection between Renforth Drive to Pearson International Airport.

To learn more about the project feel free to visit the ECWE Website .
To stay up to date with news about the project you can also sign up to our monthly newsletter.

If you have anymore questions please feel free to reach out.

Nothing new, usual lingo. I am glad that they're responding back in a timely manner.

Another response from Metrolinx regarding my question about the airport extension:

Thank you for reaching out to us regarding the Eglinton Crosstown West Extension project.

As of right now there are not updates for the airport segment. The Province is committed to establishing connectivity with Pearson International Airport. Funding for planning and design work for the Airport segment was included in the Ontario 2022 budget and the federal government also committed funds to the next phase of work.

We are actively collaborating with the Greater Toronto Airports Authority and municipal partners to explore a connection between Renforth Drive to Pearson International Airport.

To learn more about the project feel free to visit the ECWE Website .
To stay up to date with news about the project you can also sign up to our monthly newsletter.

If you have anymore questions please feel free to reach out.

Nothing new, usual lingo. I am glad that they're responding back in a timely manner.
It feels like they've been planning this extension to the airport forever. I understand there's unique jurisdictional considerations, having to interface with GTAA, Federal, Provincial, and Municipal agencies, but it seems crazy that we're still in limbo about connecting one of the busiest airports in North America to local rapid transit. I remember former classmates working on the Pearson Intermodal hub a decade ago.

It feels like they've been planning this extension to the airport forever. I understand there's unique jurisdictional considerations, having to interface with GTAA, Federal, Provincial, and Municipal agencies, but it seems crazy that we're still in limbo about connecting one of the busiest airports in North America to local rapid transit. I remember former classmates working on the Pearson Intermodal hub a decade ago.

The airport got really hammered during COVID tho. All their expansion plans good put on hold and all needed a rethink of strategy. If I'm not mistaken the airport is probably starting the expansion plans from scratch again meaning they don't know where the intermodal transit hub is going to be in the future. I believe this is the reason why alignment of the LRT extension hasn't been finalized.

GTAA need to get their act together and freeze their new design so this extension can take shape.

Nothing majorly new in the most recent Meet the Builders Open House. The slide deck is posted online in the Metrolinx website for the ECWE.

It's Strabag who is the selected contractor for the second tunnel between Jane and Black Creek. The method they will be using is Sequential Excavation Method to build the tunnel(s?).

1000090090.png

Funding is in place to build the transit hub at the airport and is also in the 2040 plan for the airport.

The issue what I heard from the GTTA is the Woodbine station and preferring only using the UPX to service the Woodbine Station and the Transit Hub. The hub also includes the Finch LRT, Mississauga Transitway, Local and other transit bus system with the Crosstown LRT missing. There is supposed to be provision for the Crosstown that is an after though.

The GTTA is still working on the business plan with no set date as to when it will happen, but expect users to/from the airport and local business is to double by 2040 compared what is taking place today.

There is expansion coming to T1 with T3 being revitalize.

There is a need for more transit to service the current airport needs today.

My comment was rail from both direction is needed to service the airport as you are servicing two different markets as well forcing uses to transfer and hope to get on an over crowded UPX trains at current headway or use the Finch LRT.

Funding is in place to build the transit hub at the airport and is also in the 2040 plan for the airport.

The issue what I heard from the GTTA is the Woodbine station and preferring only using the UPX to service the Woodbine Station and the Transit Hub. The hub also includes the Finch LRT, Mississauga Transitway, Local and other transit bus system with the Crosstown LRT missing. There is supposed to be provision for the Crosstown that is an after though.

The GTTA is still working on the business plan with no set date as to when it will happen, but expect users to/from the airport and local business is to double by 2040 compared what is taking place today.

There is expansion coming to T1 with T3 being revitalize.

There is a need for more transit to service the current airport needs today.

My comment was rail from both direction is needed to service the airport as you are servicing two different markets as well forcing uses to transfer and hope to get on an over crowded UPX trains at current headway or use the Finch LRT.

Are there any plans released by GTAA for the Transit Hub?

It seems really odd that the Crosstown would be excluded from GTAA plans when the plans to extend to the airport were there since the initial Transit City plans.

1000090107.jpg

Are there any plans released by GTAA for the Transit Hub?

They kinda have by omission. Their 10 year Pearson Lift program announced in April, which includes $ billions in terminal and runway upgrades, ignores both the transit component and additional goals of expanded and combined security/customs areas. Plan B, a more incremental approach, has been committed to through 2034.

I think if Ontario was going to fund (either wholly or partially) they would have bundled it in the Eglinton LRT West extension.

Some parts are bound to reappear in the 2027 Master Plan but in a very different form. Demolishing the T1 parking garage, for example, seems very unlikely.

Last edited:
Since GTAA are dragging their feet on this, why can't the province/metrolinx, just build said airport connect for the UP, Eglinton LRT and Finch LRT on their own. The province can use eminent domain to build anywhere in the province and i am sure the federal government wouldn't get in the way of said connection. Just tell GTAA we taking away this part of the airport lands and building this connection which you are force to use or we will increase your property tax, etc...

Seems pretty illogical that we are not building this project because the GTAA doesn't have the money for it. Are we asking the eaton centre to pay for Yonge Station on the Ontario line for example.

Since GTAA are dragging their feet on this, why can't the province/metrolinx, just build said airport connect for the UP, Eglinton LRT and Finch LRT on their own. The province can use eminent domain to build anywhere in the province and i am sure the federal government wouldn't get in the way of said connection. Just tell GTAA we taking away this part of the airport lands and building this connection which you are force to use or we will increase your property tax, etc...

Seems pretty illogical that we are not building this project because the GTAA doesn't have the money for it. Are we asking the eaton centre to pay for Yonge Station on the Ontario line for example.

GTAA would likely be thrilled to work with the province if the province funded those extensions and station structures. While they were reluctant about UP Express, with the thought it might eat into parking charges, they [Air Canada and WestJet executives] have since realized the increased transit capacity increases airline passenger numbers without raising fees in either Toronto or Vancouver.

Incidentally, the province cannot expropriate federal land.

Personally, I think Woodbine station should have been designed straddling the 427 serving both Pearson (with an extended people mover) and Woodbine, with other transit services and limited parking in the space between Goreway and 427. Eliminate UPX as a separate service entirely and Malton GO Stations, then crank the frequency of the Mount Pleasant or Brampton service.

Last edited:
GTAA would likely be thrilled to work with the province if the province funded those extensions and station structures. While they were reluctant about UP Express, with the thought it might eat into parking charges, they [Air Canada and WestJet executives] have since realized the increased transit capacity increases airline passenger numbers without raising fees in either Toronto or Vancouver.

Incidentally, the province cannot expropriate federal land.

Personally, I think Woodbine station should have been designed straddling the 427 serving both Pearson (with an extended people mover) and Woodbine, with other transit services and limited parking in the space between Goreway and 427. Eliminate UPX as a separate service entirely and Malton GO Stations, then crank the frequency of the Mount Pleasant or Brampton service.
Ok the province can't take the land but the feds should be able to, I am sure the Federal government would be willing to help build a transit hub in the busiest airport int he country.
I don't see why we need GTAA to fund part of this at all. The provincial and federal government is all you need to get this hub built.
I feel that the province is in no rush to get this built and is fine waiting for however long it takes.

Ok the province can't take the land but the feds should be able to ...

It is federal land which they lease to the non-profit GTAA [Pearson Airport] for $170M/year. GTAA is also a federally controlled organization: that is the federal government could modify the GTAA charter or replace it with another form of authority over airport operations.

In short, the feds already have complete and total control over that property and can breach the lease any time they like for any reason without legal consequence since they've effectively leased the land to themselves.

am sure the Federal government would be willing to help build a transit hub in the busiest airport int he country.
I don't see why we need GTAA to fund part of this at all. The provincial and federal government is all you need to get this hub built.
I feel that the province is in no rush to get this built and is fine waiting for however long it takes.

Yes, fed/Ontario governments could build it. Feds have generally had a policy of not subsidizing the largest Canadian airports for many decades. Contributing to a terminal would go against that long-term policy. You have likley noticed above that the money flows the other way, from the airport is a source of revenue to the federal government.

As for the province, if they were inclined to doing it they would have when Eglinton West was announced. Not having a Pearson connection was unexpected.

Last edited:
Yes, fed/Ontario governments could build it. Feds have generally had a policy of not subsidizing the largest Canadian airports for many decades.
If anything, hasn’t Pearson been seen as a cash cow for the Feds?

The airport got really hammered during COVID tho. All their expansion plans good put on hold and all needed a rethink of strategy. If I'm not mistaken the airport is probably starting the expansion plans from scratch again meaning they don't know where the intermodal transit hub is going to be in the future. I believe this is the reason why alignment of the LRT extension hasn't been finalized.

GTAA need to get their act together and freeze their new design so this extension can take shape.
Maybe the need to get a new 100+ year old member on the executive council?

Back