Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

EWLRT was supposed to be funded with mostly city money and some from ST. It won't be underground unless Ford chips in significant amount. Otherwise it won't be built at all. Maybe they can just build it with the cut and cover technique.

EWLRT was supposed to be funded with mostly city money and some from ST. It won't be underground unless Ford chips in significant amount. Otherwise it won't be built at all. Maybe they can just build it with the cut and cover technique.

The letter from the province does state the following:

To this end, the province is actively considering significant financial commitments towards these critical expansion projects

So they must be putting $$$ forward for EWLRT. Maybe this will lead to a better option. Not sure why everyone is so negative already without knowing the details of what the province is asking for and what they're willing to contribute.

I’m actually surprised that this project factors so high on the province’s agenda. It was pure Smarttrack, city funded, until now.

“Subterranian” is such an odd word to use, even for a bureaucrat. I guess the intent was to not let it be cast as a “subway” since it will only use light rail vehicles.

I am glad to see the line underground at those three potentially problemmatic intersections - Martin Grove, Kipling, and Islington - but anything more underground is overkill.

I wonder if the agenda is that the upload deal will be surface transportation is city, underground is province.... so the design has to tip the balance towards the province. Function and form crafted to follow political intent.

- Paul

Last edited:
EWLRT-Board9-Option-4.png

From link.

Yes I really do hope this option (#4) is selected for a number of reasons, but I still dont get why the portion from Martin Grove to Renforth needs to be underground. Seems completely unnecessary.

If we go with the above (#4), then Martin Grove is an underground station. You have 300m to elevate the line over Eglinton. If the station has a mezzanine, and you start from 8m below ground, then there's not enough room to become elevated before the Eglinton intersection (at its current location). If there is no mezzanine, or if the mezzanine is located below the platform, then it could likely be done. This all depends on whether the line is built with cut-and-cover or TBM. With cut-and-cover, it will be shallow and the above is possible. If TBM, it would be too deep to surface before Mimico Creek. Likely they are planning TBM, which means it would have to be underground all the way to Renforth.

It is also possible that the Eglinton-Eglinton intersection is moved to the west side of Mimico Creek. As I pointed out before, if you can get yourself between the two Eglintons, there is space through the north end spans of all those bridges to run the LRT at-grade, or marginally trenched. Of course, if it's TBM, this still wouldn't help and it would have to continue underground to Renforth.

If we go with the above (#4), then Martin Grove is an underground station. You have 300m to elevate the line over Eglinton. If the station has a mezzanine, and you start from 8m below ground, then there's not enough room to become elevated before the Eglinton intersection (at its current location). If there is no mezzanine, or if the mezzanine is located below the platform, then it could likely be done. This all depends on whether the line is built with cut-and-cover or TBM. With cut-and-cover, it will be shallow and the above is possible. If TBM, it would be too deep to surface before Mimico Creek. Likely they are planning TBM, which means it would have to be underground all the way to Renforth.

It is also possible that the Eglinton-Eglinton intersection is moved to the west side of Mimico Creek. As I pointed out before, if you can get yourself between the two Eglintons, there is space through the north end spans of all those bridges to run the LRT at-grade, or marginally trenched. Of course, if it's TBM, this still wouldn't help and it would have to continue underground to Renforth.

Honestly that portion could probably even be beside the road.

It appears there is ample greenspace, and under the overpasses there is space that is currently just drainage. That can be modified, its not structural.

In a wide-open corridor where there are precious few building footings to avoid, and no streetscape to disrupt, would cut and cover not be immensely simpler? #tyssealloveragain

- Paul
I meant that if it was TBM east of Martin Grove, the station would be too deep, and you couldn't surface before Mimico Creek - thus, the TBM would have to continue at least west of Mimico. Having an extraction site next to all the bridges is not practical, so it would have to continue farther.
Yes, the open corridor is good for cut-and-cover, but it would have to be that from Scarlet to Martin Grove.

Honestly that portion could probably even be beside the road.

It appears there is ample greenspace, and under the overpasses there is space that is currently just drainage. That can be modified, its not structural.
Its getting there that needs to be accomplished. https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6732338,-79.5693849,664m/data=!3m1!1e3

If you elevated before Martin Grove, the hydro lines might be a problem. If your too deep at Martin Grove, you can't go over Mimico Creek.
If your just below grade at Martin Grove, you can likely elevate in time before Mimico Creek, and likely even before the Eglinton-Eglinton intersection.
Then either you keep going up and clear 427 and all the ramps, or you dip back down and go through the end spans. While your elevated, you have to pass Eglinton under, as well as some type of off-ramp to Eglinton/East Mall.
Although there is space, as you note, you need to get the pieces to the east right - otherwise you can't access that space.

I meant that if it was TBM east of Martin Grove, the station would be too deep, and you couldn't surface before Mimico Creek - thus, the TBM would have to continue at least west of Mimico. Having an extraction site next to all the bridges is not practical, so it would have to continue farther.
Yes, the open corridor is good for cut-and-cover, but it would have to be that from Scarlet to Martin Grove.
When the city was reviewing the grade separation stations. they would just built a shallow station for Martin Grove with cut and cover to avoid the Enbridge gas line deeper under there. I don't know how far east that gas line runs but if they were to use a TBM, they would have to cut and remove that gas line. So the idea of using a TBM to avoid surface disruption around Martin Grove can be tossed out the window. The Enbridge Feeder Station is at the SW corner of Eglinton/Martin Grove.

How will the weather affect the outdoor portion of the track? Why does the Scarborough RT always fail on those cold winter days? If rail technology has not changed enough to prevent delays/cancellation during the winter then I understand why the province is pushing for a fully underground LRT.

Back