Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

There is an argument to be made to keeping the transitway available for express busses after an LRT conversion. The express GO busses to the airport will almost always be faster than a transit connection and can use the passing lanes in the stations to pass stopped LRVs.
And this is likely why the long term vision is to convert to light metro, facilitating long-distance and short distance trips. Line 5-style LRT won’t cut it.

Wanted to give a quick update on the tunneling progression of Renny and Rexy.

View attachment 473712

Rexy is approaching Kipling-Eglinton station, while Renny passed Kipling and is approaching the emergency exit Bemersyde.

I think I read somewhere that the tunneling is more than halfway done. I think we're coming close to the time when we award the contracts for the station. Martin Grove has been sitting empty for months now, waiting for the station box digging to start.
Station contracts haven’t even started the tendering process yet!

Station contracts haven’t even started the tendering process yet!
"Attention riders" Cars 1/2/3 will be stopping at station 1 4 7 10..... Cars 2/3/4 will be stopping at 2 5 8 11.....Cars 4/5/6 will be stopping 3 6 9 12..... Please make sure you are in the right car for your stop as we are running 6 car trains that will only fit a 3 car platform.

"Attention riders" Cars 1/2/3 will be stopping at station 1 4 7 10..... Cars 2/3/4 will be stopping at 2 5 8 11.....Cars 4/5/6 will be stopping 3 6 9 12..... Please make sure you are in the right car for your stop as we are running 6 car trains that will only fit a 3 car platform.
5 car trains, since a light rail car is longer than a heavy rail car.

Are the Crosstown stations 3 LRT car lengths long? I thought they had cut that down to 2 car lengths fairly early in the construction process.

Are the Crosstown stations 3 LRT car lengths long? I thought they had cut that down to 2 car lengths fairly early in the construction process.
The stations should have false walls, to allow for 3 car trains. Without the false walls, there would be room for 5 LRT car trains. The surface stops have an allowance to 5 car trains. However, the initial opening (allegedly) will likely be for 2 car trains with 3 car trains for crowding situations.

Last edited:
The stations should have false walls, to allow for 3 car trains. Without the false walls, there would be room for 5 LRT car trains. The surface stops have an allowance to 5 car trains. However, the initial opening (allegedly) will likely be for 2 car trains with 3 car trains for crowding situations.
The walls are staying to keep the ventilation and electrical rooms hidden from the public. It will be 3 car trains max, which is the length of the current Sheppard subway.

The walls are staying to keep the ventilation and electrical rooms hidden from the public. It will be 3 car trains max, which is the length of the current Sheppard subway.
The station BOXES for Line 4 Sheppard East are the same length as for Line 1 & Line 2. They have temporary walls to shorten the boxes for 4 car trains. They can remove the walls for 6 car trains, in the future. Likely when Line 4 is extended. See thread about possible Line 4 extension.

Copied and pasted from this link, dated 2019.

From link.
3.1 Design Principles 3.2 Operations Plan - Crosstown

The typical station box accommodates a 90 metres platform with a 40 metres service area at one end and a 20 metre service area at the opposite end resulting in a total station box length of 150 metres. Initially the LRT operation will consist of a 2-car trainset requiring a 60 metres platform. To protect for the ultimate 3-car train set the 90 metres platform would be constructed, but then temporary walls would be installed to create the initial 60 metres long platform. A 2.5 metres wide corridor would bisect the remaining 30 metres reserved portion of the platform leading to an additional secondary entrance.
1573262822162-png.214241

Last edited:
The station BOXES for Line 4 Sheppard East are the same length as for Line 1 & Line 2. They have temporary walls to shorten the boxes for 4 car trains. They can remove the walls for 6 car trains, in the future. Likely when Line 4 is extended. See thread about possible Line 4 extension.

Copied and pasted from this link, dated 2019.

From link.
3.1 Design Principles 3.2 Operations Plan - Crosstown

1573262822162-png.214241
That's outdated, from when it was a TTC project, I haven't seen anything since Metrolinx became involved that there are any services area beyond the platforms, and they don't seem to be using that typical station layout anyway.

That's outdated, from when it was a TTC project, I haven't seen anything since Metrolinx became involved that there are any services area beyond the platforms, and they don't seem to be using that typical station layout anyway.

I agree, I believe the entire station box itself is only 90m.

I checked the distance between the headwalls for the West Extension and it comes out to around 90 to 100m. Maybe there was originally an idea for 150m long station boxes but those are our the window. Regardless, 3-car trains are plenty for Eglinton if the estimated usage is true.

We just have to wait another year for the Crosstown to open to see if that's true!

The section of Mississauga north of Eglinton Avenue and west of Renforth is commercial. It is expected many of those parking lots will be redeveloped into new commercial buildings because of the access to the Renforth Station for the Line 5 extension. From link.
View attachment 473569
The MiWay Transitway has two stations in the vicinity, Renforth Station (5001 Commerce Boulevard) and Orbitor Station (5015 Orbitor Drive). So expect to see more people from Toronto travelling to Mississauga reaching Renforth Station. Likely walking the rest of the way to avoid paying the extra fare (at the moment, subject to change).
Mississauga will never give up it's parking lots.

Working in the area I tend to agree. Office intensification - Yes. Significant parking areas— yes. The draw of the nearby major highways and other access routes is a large draw. I would be curious to see the relevant busway numbers as I am not sure it has had much effect in the big picture, although the access has found some favour.

Most of the Transitways stations parking lots are under hydro line or in an utilities corridor where nothing else can be used for the areas there other than parks and gardens.

There are a few stations that will not support anything in the first place.

As long as there is land to build employment business, you will see surface parking lots outside the city core that is cheap to do so, You have a few business in the city core with parking decks.

Mississauga is car city as there is a lack of good transit, not easy to get around using it, how it lack connection from places around it with low density not able to support good transit in the first place. Lack of a good road systems doesn't help anyone.

A large percentage of homes have 3-7 cars including most of city councilors.

That is why Mississauga is known as car city since cars out number residential units.

The transitway can be upgraded to a point in support LRT, except between Central Parkway and Ern Mills station to allow Line 5 to get to the city core today.

Last edited:

Back