Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

IIRC PC provincial governments were in charge when substantial amounts of the subway was getting built.
Yes but the Conservatives of old, specifically Bill Davis were nothing like the Conservatives of today. Back then they were Centre-Right; more akin to what you would see in European Conservatives. Today's Conservative party is more American in style and solidly right wing, although thankfully not fully. It actually makes sense when you consider the cons of the Davis era and prior grew up in Pre-WWII Canada when we were still culturally closer to the UK, while the cons of today grew up in a post-war Canada when we became Americanized.

Wow, me playing devils advocate somehow managed to cause the biggest sh!tstorm on this platform in a while, so let me clear the air.
1. I did not say Tunneling was the cheapest method, I said there are advantages to tunneling that are not being considered by members in this forum. Said advantages have the potential to increase efficiencies and reduce risk. Part of the engineering process is to consider options, even if they seem cost prohibitive to begin with.
2. Winter is a huge issue in the construction world, especially for construction in an open environment. It severely limits overground construction work, adds risk, is far less safe, increases the amount of work that needs to be done, etc. Have you ever noticed that many construction sites seem to be shut down in the winter, or that work at said sites has slowed down significantly? There are very good reasons for this.
3. My preference is actually for the EWLRT to be elevated, as I've stated numerous times on this thread and in others.

Literally 1.5 billion dollars could be saved if they didnt tunnel the section from Martin Grove to Renforth....
Source? Pretty sure that figure was for money saved by not tunneling any of the Eglinton West LRT. Also, these numbers are all preliminary. Any actual tendered budget will certainly have inconsistencies. It should also be noted that contracts for tunnelling work have far larger contingency and risk budgets associated with them simply because it's difficult to tell what's actually underground.

Seems like he is defending the status quo: that Toronto is doing everything right building some of the worst value-for-money transit in the world. Sometimes tunneling is the best solution, but it should not be the preferred solution. There are engineering challenges in any project, you could make an at least as compelling list of reasons why tunneling presents engineering challenges. I have never heard the argument that tunneling is the fastest way to build transit--it's a new one for me.
I never said it was the fastest way to build transit. I said that it's the one where resources can be allocated better due to scheduling. Cost/km is a completely different metric that moreso has to do with the amount of infrastructure actually built, and nothing to do with crew allotment/available working time/efficiency.

Its not only new, its wrong.

Tunneling is by far the slowest method to build transit. Period.
I never said it was the fastest way to construct a line, I just said there are some advantages to tunneling. Also, your statement is 100% false. The slowest method for building transit depends on the area you're building in, and the limitations the contractor is given. Tunneling can be super fast — look at China, but you don't have to deal with things like property rights and damage compensation.

Tunneling itself isn't actually the slowest part of building a subway, it's building the stations. The same is true for Elevated lines actually. The guideway construction is fairly straightforward. Building the Stations? That takes most of the time.

Not just tunnelling but deep bore tunnelling which is the slowest and most expensive type of tunnelling. We could probably save some money and time going with cut-and-cover but that's never happening.
Theres far more work that has to be done in the preplanning and prework stages of cut-and cover. That's not to say it won't necessarily be a faster process, but you have far more engineering work to do, more utility relocations (some of which may take years to complete and involve insane amounts of risk). That has to be considered when dealing with some areas of the city.

Why specifically is that? What is it that iON did to overcome the supposed difficulties of building surface transit you described in your comment? They clearly got far, far better value for money than we’re getting.
Note that iON was the first LFLRT line in Canada, so there was a huge learning curve for the constructors. I cannot disclose the exact reasons, however, I can state this:

The P3 process has led to a huge increase in lawsuits, accepting losses, and overbidding other projects to make up for said losses. All the risk is on the contractor. Do you think they're going to accept these types of arrangements anymore if they can't make money? Look at the bids & contractors for iON, then look at the bids & contractors for Hurontario and Finch West, then look at the contract values and the length of the lines. Notice anything?

In terms of actual challenges of building surface LRT, one significant challenge is relocating live utilities along the entire corridor. It's slow, inefficient, expensive, and dangerous work.

Last edited:
2. Winter is a huge issue in the construction world, especially for construction in an open environment. It severely limits overground construction work, adds risk, is far less safe, increases the amount of work that needs to be done, etc. Have you ever noticed that many construction sites seem to be shut down in the winter, or that work at said sites has slowed down significantly? There are very good reasons for this.
I believe that there's a saying that Montreal has only two seasons: winter and construction.

That can very easily be applied to Toronto.

There are certainly many places around the planet where this is the case.

I don't think that Toronto is one of them. I can't keep track of the number of times I have seen major home renovations or new-builds that occured during the winter - and those are EXACTLY the types of small-yet-major projects (as they are usually multiple unions/trades during their construction) that would stop in inclement weather, as they are performed by smaller contractors and for whose time of construction is usually in the measured range of a single season.

A lot of surface excavation of The Crosstown's stations occured at the height of winter. The crews started excavating Mount Pleasant last February, for instance.

Do they have to take the seasons into account? Oh hell yeah - even with the machinery progress is going to be slower in the winter than it will be in the spring or fall. But to say that it "severely limits" the amount of work is false, at least with regards to major projects such as the construction of a transit line.

Dan

Reactions: max
IIRC PC provincial governments were in charge when substantial amounts of the subway was getting built. Sorry to say but several streetcars or tramways on massively long routes (which Transit City was) would barely be justifiable with European land use. Also worth pointing out that what were supposed to be affordable projects are actually still super expensive (see below).

The city was in charge of building transit originally, and if I recall the original Yonge Line was funded by the TTC, not the province.

Even after the province took on a bigger role, it was the TTC and city in charge of implementation.

The city was in charge of building transit originally, and if I recall the original Yonge Line was funded by the TTC, not the province.

Even after the province took on a bigger role, it was the TTC and city in charge of implementation.

The Eglinton West section may have been heavy rail, instead of light rail. The Eglinton West Subway Line was killed in 1995 by Mike Harris, and one of his first orders of business was to cut provincial contributions to the TTC's capital projects.. By today, they could have been building the west section, parts may have been either in a trench or elevated. Subsidies to the TTC's operating budget by the province were also killed in 1998.

Eglinton_West_Line.png

From link.

800px-Mike_Harris_2014.jpg

From link. Our oppressor and friend of our current Premier of Ontario, the former Premier Mike Harris, currently Chair of the Chartwell Retirement Residences (a privately run long-term care company and lobbyist who got help from Doug Ford with protection from law suits for LTC).

Last edited:
Eglinton West reference in this.

So basically its another article that's just bitching about Eglinton West being underground, disguised as an article talking about transportation in the north. Stay classy mainstream media.

So basically its another article that's just bitching about Eglinton West being underground, disguised as an article talking about transportation in the north. Stay classy mainstream media.

They're allowed to be upset that their money is being wasted on useless vanity projects, while actual needs go unaddressed.

Honestly, I think it’s time to “disagree and commit”. The SSE is being tunneled, as is the EWLRT.

Basically the Ford government seems to be committed to building the SSE, EWLRT, and RER (don’t really know about OL). That’s an impressive amount of transit projects in the pipe, and I was terrified that Doug Ford would nix them all on being elected (kinda still am, to be honest). He didn’t - and I have to give him credit for that. Yes, the SSE and EWLRT are overbuilt, but...like I said: “disagree and commit”.

They're allowed to be upset that their money is being wasted on useless vanity projects, while actual needs go unaddressed.

Agreed. I don't think the article is unfair. In the SSE thread there was talk of the alienation some Scarberians feel due to having a transfer, and the idea that some feel Scarborough isn't part of Toronto.

It's so easy to get caught up in our local issues that are probably not as important as we think in the grand scheme of things.

Forget not feeling like part of the city - how do we think residents up north feel, people who believe they're alienated from the entire province?

When the Premier is on record arguing for fiscal restarint, stating that some areas "deserve" certain kinds of transit and doing his best to pit regions against one another, it isn't going to end well. It was only a matter of time before people would notice the hypocrisy and call the government out on it.

I hope the province takes the concerns of these people seriously.

Honestly, I think it’s time to “disagree and commit”. The SSE is being tunneled, as is the EWLRT.

Basically the Ford government seems to be committed to building the SSE, EWLRT, and RER (don’t really know about OL). That’s an impressive amount of transit projects in the pipe, and I was terrified that Doug Ford would nix them all on being elected (kinda still am, to be honest). He didn’t - and I have to give him credit for that. Yes, the SSE and EWLRT are overbuilt, but...like I said: “disagree and commit”.

They all commit.

Let's see some action.

Eglinton West reference in this.

How many people live in Northern Ontario? The combined population of Etobicoke and Scarborough dwarfs Northern Ontario. Heck Scarborough alone is almost at 80 % over a much smaller area. If building subways or LRT projects in the cities is being viewed as vanity projects or a waste of money because they will be buried but somehow spending billions on winter roads or double twinning highways in the middle of nowhere is a sensible way to spend money. Go and talk to the people stuck on buses or on crowded subways about how life changing these projects are for them. It's not just people in remote communities who should experience "life-changing investments" as the author alludes to. If these transit projects in populated urban centres are a waste of money because the residents don't want their lrt or trains to be stopping at red lights and want them buried, then spending billions on roads and highways in the boonies is a bigger waste of money.

How many people live in Northern Ontario; the combined population of Etobicoke and Scarborough dwarfs Northern Ontario. Heck Scarborough alone is almost at 80 % over a much smaller area. If building subways or LRT project in the cities is being viewed as vanity projects or waste of money because they will be buried but somehow spending billions on winter roads or double twinning highways in the middle of nowhere is a sensible way to spend money. Go and talk to the people stuck on buses or on crowded subways about how life changing these projects are for them. If these transit projects in populated urban centres are a waste of money because the residents don't want their lrt or trains to be stopping at red lights and want them buried, then spending billions on roads and highways in the boonies is a bigger waste of money.

The difference in population and the need for greater investment in places like the GTA vs much lower populated areas was covered in the article. He was not arguing these projects are a waste of money, but how they're being implemented wastes money that could be allocated to areas that desperately need the investment.

Back