Toronto eCondos | 195.67m | 58s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

I still think Yonge and Sheppard is a pretty walkable neighbourhood compared to most neighbourhoods north of the core. It is just difficult for me to see it being considered better than Yonge and Eglinton from a community perspective. As for E Condos, Bazis has released some images on their recent blog post, and they are making me think that the red mid-sections are back!

Damn that second tower is thin. The protruding box also seems to have been lowered, I seem to remember it being higher up. This is looking good! Truthfully, I'm amazed this got approved so easily, considering the fight Minto had to go through a couple of years ago for a shorter building.

I think Josh Matlow just wanted to be able to brag that he got some floors knocked off the top of the taller one—64 came down to 58—major triumph secured on behalf of the citizens of Ward 22.

I would say the opposite. I think Yonge and Sheppard has a long way to go to catch up with Yonge and Eglinton. For walkability, transit, entertainment options, etc., Yonge and Eglinton wins hands down. I didn't know we were rating the success of neighbourhoods based on how many tall buildings they have.

Spending my yearly week in new York. I agree that y and e is more walkable then y and s. I also agree that towers don't necessarily mean a better neighborhood. However at a major transit intersection I do think density is needed and the truth is that a lot of the home owners in the area are trying to keep it a 1930 neighborhood. I was hoping more that it would become like y and bloor with Avenue road and the eglinton way keeping low rise while y and e goes the way of a walkable neighborhood WITH towers.

I assume its been known for a while that the smaller tower is no longer having the cantilevered pool?

Yep you can see that here in a new rendering on the bazis blog:
Exterior-looking-South-1.jpg

SOOOOOOO happy to see the red cantilevered section back. its what made the whole project standout from the rest of the towers going up.A decent idea would be for the city to demand a couple more floor of commercial/office space in the taller tower. the loss of office space at Yonge and Eglinton may be an issue moving forward in the future. while yes there seems to be quite a few vacancy signs on office buildings between eglinton and davisville, I cant imagine that will be so for very long.

I thought what has happened is that the cantilever was removed from the north tower, unless I misunderstand.

This was an interim render before the red came back

20130318-Eglinton-Full.jpg

Right, the section wasn't red, but in that render it looks like both buildings still had the cantilevered section in the middle. In the latest version the south building has its cantilevered floor recoloured red, but the actual architectural feature is gone from the north building.

The two towers are more visually disconnected now, but I love the simplicity of the new north tower design. It has a lot of potential. The simple grid arrangement of the facade reminds me of a lot of recent projects in Germany.

Last edited:
It looks so much better with that splash of red. It's sad that it will be removed from the actual building. Without it, it's just a mass of grey, with no focal point.

Back