Toronto Don Mills Community Recreation Centre and Park | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto

toronto647

Member Bio
Reaction score
A new Community Recreation Centre (CRC) is coming to the Don Mills community at the Aspen Ridge Developmental Project - https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...35-02m-44s-aspen-ridge-sweeny-co.3857/page-15

The design consulting services has been awarded last week to MacLennan Jaunkalns Miller Architects Ltd. They are a prominent team and have built other community centres and exciting projects!

Link to project site on city website - https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...lities/don-mills-community-recreation-centre/

The CRC will include
  • An indoor twin ice pad arena / multi-use indoor sports field
  • A large indoor lap and leisure pool
  • A double gymnasium
  • Multi-use community and activity spaces

Project Timeline​

• Spring 2022: Hire a design team
  • Spring to Summer 2022: Community engagement and design development
  • Summer 2022 to Summer 2023: Detailed design
  • Fall 2023: Hire a construction team
  • Winter 2024: Construction starts
  • Spring 2026: Construction complete, Community Recreation Centre opens
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 8.59.50 PM.png

Virtual town hall was held on December 15, 2022 - link to recording below

https://toronto.webex.com/toronto/ldr.php?RCID=156361681fca34ef01367a54d28def6f

The project timeline has been updated showing about a 1.5-1.75 year completion delay to December 21, 2027 opening at the earliest. The park has been removed from this planning process and will be managed by another team. To be quite frank this delay is quite unacceptable especially considering this team is not even managing the park. But on the bright-side the next election will be in 2026 and construction will be well underway (hopefully). 9 years to build a community centre from when the City Council is crazy.

• Fall 2021: Hire a design team
  • Summer 2022 to Summer 2023: Community engagement and design development
  • Winter to Fall 2023: Detailed design
  • Spring 2024: Hire a construction team
  • Summer 2024: Construction starts
  • Winter 2027: Construction complete, Community Recreation Centre opens

Survey for the Park is now live... Feel free to provide your thoughts

Will this still happen with Doug's offer to build a community centre across the street?

Will this still happen with Doug's offer to build a community centre across the street?

Yes, this Community Recreation Centre will go ahead; it's necessary and there's a lot of sunk money already. The OSC buildings, as is, are not a replacement, nor does trying to shift this facility 400M south make any real sense.

The CRC at OSC idea is highly suspect.

Last edited:
Looks like there will be a 3 year delay until construction starts (Was expected to start in 2024, now it's listed as 2027), with completion expected in 2030 as per the updated project page

View attachment 511397
This is truly saddening and disheartening... Any idea why this project is being delayed years? Ontario Line and Don Mills Community Recreation Centre opening simultaneously? lol

This is truly saddening and disheartening... Any idea why this project is being delayed years? Ontario Line and Don Mills Community Recreation Centre opening simultaneously? lol

A closer look at this timeline raises some issues:

1696543581964.png

A little over 1 year for public consultation, in three rounds, this seems a bit excessive.

Detailed design to construction is a 2 full years, spring '24 to '26; that is definitely 1 year longer than necessary.

Then there's a 1 year, 3mo. lag between hiring a construction team and starting work. That too seems unreasonably lengthy.

The construction timeline is also excessive, this will be a very large facility, but Centre Court could build a 40s tower in that window.

Surely we can get this to under 2 years all-in.

A closer look at this timeline raises some issues:

View attachment 511454
A little over 1 year for public consultation, in three rounds, this seems a bit excessive.

Detailed design to construction is a 2 full years, spring '24 to '26; that is definitely 1 year longer than necessary.

Then there's a 1 year, 3mo. lag between hiring a construction team and starting work. That too seems unreasonably lengthy.

The construction timeline is also excessive, this will be a very large facility, but Centre Court could build a 40s tower in that window.

Surely we can get this to under 2 years all-in.
Do you think there are budgetary issues between Aspen Ridge and the City. I believe Aspen Ridge and Cadillac Fairview (shops at don mills development) are pitching in to make this project come life and they asked for a few extra years? Something smells fishy here

Do you think there are budgetary issues between Aspen Ridge and the City. I believe Aspen Ridge and Cadillac Fairview (shops at don mills development) are pitching in to make this project come life and they asked for a few extra years? Something smells fishy here

Here's your answer, from the Major Projects report that went to Executive earlier this week:

1696611495618.png

I love how it's coded green for on budget and on time.............LOL Give me a break.

Get a load of the budget increase here!

Here's your answer, from the Major Projects report that went to Executive earlier this week:

View attachment 511566

I love how its coded green for on budget and on time.............LOL Give me a break.

Get a load of the budget increase here!

The timeline on this screenshot says December 2031 however the website shows Winter 2030. How do you know which timeline end date is correct? If the city themselves have different timelines floating around in thin air, does that mean no one knows any thing and this is just being pushed past the next election for the new city council to deal with?

The timeline on this screenshot says December 2031 however the website shows Winter 2030. How do you know which timeline end date is correct? If the city themselves have different timelines floating around in thin air, does that mean no one knows any thing and this is just being pushed past the next election for the new city council to deal with?

Those who put this list together were sloppy. I noted that by referring to clearly incorrect colour coding.

The text is clear enough, construction is (currently) deferred to 2027; the earliest construction would conclude is winter 2030 (I would assume they mean December 2030) which easily bleeds into 2031 for actually opening.

I don't think there's any conspiracy here, other than a lack of accountability for a mushrooming budget that I take serious issues with, especially considering they haven't even gotten to detailed design yet.

Back