Barrie Debut Waterfront Residences | ?m | 33s | Gary Silverberg | Oleson Worland

Who would have ever thought that Barrie would be getting a highrise on their waterfront that looks 10x better than the half of trash strung up along the entirety of Toronto's waterfront.

Getting? These buildings still have to sell, and I'm a bit skeptical that they'll pull it off. These buildings seem too classy and sophisticated for a dump like Barrie.

I'm slightly mixed here.

I really like the overall design; I think, taken as a whole these buildings would be highly beneficial to DT Barrie.

But the loss of the old theatres is something I mourn.

I think DT Barrie would really benefit from having a cinema.

I wouldn't want to make a hash of that podium trying to work one in.............

But it would make sense in this spate of redevelopments to look at giving DT Barrie a modern 10-screen cinema.

To, the wishlist for that area, beyond heritage restoration and quality architecture/intensification is a modern supermarket, a cinema, patio-culture retail; some class-A office space, and ultimately, nearby, a new Undergraduate University.

Tell us how you really feel about Barrie!

Ha! Honestly, it has one of the smallest, most un-impressive downtowns for a city of its size (180,000) in Ontario. The downtown is something you'd expect to see in a town the size of Cobourg (18,000) - the rest unfortunately is a bunch of garbage sprawl. A city like Guelph for example, blows it away.

Well if we're being honest, both areas need desperate help in their own right.

Barrie at least has a scenic waterfront they can do something special with, that's unless they want to screw it up like Toronto has done with their waterfront. Completely up to them on that.

1598585462061.png

1598585513835.png

1598585572436.png

Début will have two 33-storey towers, making it Barrie’s tallest high-rise condo, with the first building having 272 units. There will be a mix of one-, two-, three- and four-bedroom units ranging in size from 444 to 1,600 square feet and in price from $365,000 to $1.3 million.

The base of the complex at the corner of Dunlop and Mary Streets will feature curated shops and a pedestrian arcade serving as the gateway to the Lake Simcoe/Kempenfelt Bay waterfront, marina, Centennial Beach, farmers’ market and public transit.

Début’s second tower will likely have between 200 and 260 units. Silverberg said a “top international hotel chain” is working with him and was interested in the site, but the COVID-19 pandemic has affected its ability to make decisions on moving forward.

“If they take a portion of the building, there will be less units,” said Silverberg. “We’re just very happy with the amount of interest we have in a hotel-friendly concept.”

Sales for Début launched on Aug. 20 and Silverberg said the early reception has been very positive. Occupancy is being targeted for four years from now.

Back