Toronto Daniels Waterfront - City of the Arts | 156.05m | 45s | Daniels | RAW Design

Sigh... The sidewalk outside the office building has been dug out for some kind of maintenance work. It was nice while it lasted, looking forward to the asphalt patching that will grace this plaza for the next few years.

I'll keep a countdown going for the number of days it takes before the city rips up all this stone and replaces it with asphalt patch galore.

Sigh... The sidewalk outside the office building has been dug out for some kind of maintenance work. It was nice while it lasted, looking forward to the asphalt patching that will grace this plaza for the next few years.
As per my countdown, it took all but ~85 days. Now that's pathetic.

Saw this in person today. Just an unfortunate project. The beige/taupe color spandrel with the barrage of mullions is horrific.

I would like to think it is for a TTC shelter but .....
There was a vacuum truck and they had dug a fairly large hole down to what looked like some water mains under the plaza. I work across the street from here and will report on what kind of patch job they do.

East tower at 36 and west tower at 44. Patterned glass balcony progress stuck at 9 floors completed.
Yonge St WB off ramp construction update probably more interesting. :)
July 16
5455E11B-EC45-42BB-A60B-856D8C83AA1D.jpeg

July 18
DD690575-B9AE-4EBA-B710-67A8CD3A0191.jpeg

July 24
812B3509-61E5-4D38-B86C-32AF40CB4AE0.jpeg

July 25
F29FFE4D-0561-4FC8-87D1-4A9419DD7334.jpeg

I agree, you expect high quality condos along the waterfront, NOT bland, boxy, awful glass towers.

It's actually embarrassing what the waterfront looks like at this point. Aside from Monde and Pier 21, everything is bland crap. This is what I feared.

Can you think of any major city "new" waterfront that looks like this?

I don't want to see anything from Tridel or Daniels along the waterfront. I get that they're big boys and self financed but they are bland and unimaginative as can be.

I want to see Freed, Mod, Urban Capital, I'll even take CityzenFernbrook (not the greatest builder but they at least have balls to build something different), Great Gulf, Lanterra, Cresford, etc. You know, builders who actually have some pride and have a track record of building well designed buildings.

Yes, I'm simplifying things here but this is inexcusable.

Last edited:
I just got back from a trip through Oslo - Stockholm - and Copenhagen.
It's really depressing to drive past this mess on our waterfront after seeing how other cities handle architecture. Why we allow this to happen to our city is beyond me.

Back