Toronto Daniels Waterfront - City of the Arts | 156.05m | 45s | Daniels | RAW Design

Some planters in the Yard would've been nice to make it less gray. Would also have been nice if the plastic pieces were coloured - there are (coloured?) lights, but not so helpful during most of the day.

view from Jarvis/King (July 20)

Daniels_1.jpg

for a complex that brands itself 'City of the Arts' the courtyard is pretty corporate, generic and sterile..it feels like a mall food court. the only redeeming business is the indian street food place. hopefully the brew pub will change the atmosphere.

This is my thought too. In any other area of the city, the courtyard could work. But the look and feel of the block, including the dull towers, don't exactly scream "arts and culture" hub. It's just typical Toronto with lots of grey and spandrel.

The office component is ok - it meets the street well on Queen's Quay and the red provides some nice contrast for the strip. But everything else, especially the towers, is disappointing.

This is my thought too. In any other area of the city, the courtyard could work. But the look and feel of the block, including the dull towers, don't exactly scream "arts and culture" hub. It's just typical Toronto with lots of grey and spandrel.

The office component is ok - it meets the street well on Queen's Quay and the red provides some nice contrast for the strip. But everything else, especially the towers, is disappointing.
I think you will find that most UTers agree with you and have posted extensively on this disappointing project earlier in the thread.

Tim Hortons will be "opening soon" on the (north) Jarvis side of the complex. Great for the eventual students. Unfortunately Starbucks closed down the south side shop, although there is a Starbucks booth in Loblaws (which I've always found strange).

Tim Hortons will be "opening soon" on the (north) Jarvis side of the complex. Great for the eventual students. Unfortunately Starbucks closed down the south side shop, although there is a Starbucks booth in Loblaws (which I've always found strange).

Starbucks has an arrangement with Loblaws and is in several Toronto area stores.

It's also in many Longos.

I happen to think this is a wrong move by both chains, that it conflates different brands, and they'd be better off w/in-house offers which would also allow co-promotion of compatible store brand products.

But.....they've gone the direction they have.

Back