Toronto Daniels Waterfront - City of the Arts | 156.05m | 45s | Daniels | RAW Design

I'm not sure how I feel about the two types of brick, but otherwise this is looking very good.
If I'm seeing the render right, there will eventually be three colours of brick used, with the western section above the black brick using a lighter red/tan.

Took these on Canada day
IMG_6746.jpg
IMG_6747.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6746.jpg
    IMG_6746.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 395
  • IMG_6747.jpg
    IMG_6747.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 399
It's certainly easier to put up (no scaffold is required for the bricklayers—that's how they're able to go 50 storeys up with it at The Selby), and it's expected to not require maintenance for an incredibly long time (the concrete is more resilient than mortar between bricks). It means that you get the high quality exterior finish of real brick too, which includes the inherent variation in colour from the firing process.

Back in Liberty Village where Plaza used actual precast where the brick pattern was created through a mold, you get the higher durability associated with a single large panel of precast, but I wonder how long the stained surface will retain the colour that was painted on after it was put up. It is stain, so it will last a while there and it won't flake off, but as fake brick, there's no way it will have the longevity of what's going up here.

Last I looked at the residential (a few days ago?), concrete has already been poured, and a small section looks to have the bottom-most floor's ceiling up. There's two cranes on site, but there's still a large ramp of dirt for vehicle access. I wish these construction sites put in more real time cameras that the public can watch; or provide a time lapse every month or so.

Back