News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 352     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 914     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

The virtual open house presentation of April 14th mentioned for Cedarvale that "train testing through station will begin". I asked the question "what does this entail?" and I got this response from Metrolinx. "The testing of the revenue vehicles (LRV) has been ongoing for some time between the EMSF and Caledonia. For the next phase of testing, LRVs will be transported by road to the at-grade section, where they will operate between Laird and Kennedy until the track and OCS are completed through Eglinton Station next year.". They told me separately in Twitter that six LRV's are being shipped over to the surface section for testing. No timeline was mentioned just that it would happen later this year. I asked Crosstown in Twitter how many Flexity Freedom LRV's had been delivered to the Eglinton Maintenance and Storage Facility. They say 44, the April 14th Virtual presentation says 45.

I posted it previously however Metrolinx confirmed they would start testing this spring which means any day before June 21 (first day of summer) on the at-grade portion. So within 50 days or so testing will commence on the at-grade section.

Cedarvale Station Part 1 of 2:

April 25, 2021:

Westside Median:
IMG_0253.jpg
IMG_0254.jpg

Northwest Corner:
IMG_0255.jpg
IMG_0256.jpg
IMG_0257.jpg
IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

In Front of Main Entrance:
IMG_0260.jpg
IMG_0261.jpg
IMG_0262.jpg
IMG_0263.jpg
IMG_0264.jpg
IMG_0265.jpg

I'm not an expert at all, but does it maybe look worse than it is? It looks like to this layman that all the structural stuff is done and now it's a question of pouring a lot of concrete, and of course other items. I think the latest news is that they expect to open late 2022?

I'm just a sidewalk superintendent as well, but much of the concrete that is left to pour has a lot of elevation to it... ie in spots, the track floor may be poured but they are still a ways from having all the pours completed and backfilled all the way to the street.

The resulting track gaps may only be a hundred meters in length, but even one gap in the track is a showstopper.

I think late 2022 is believable, but I don't think that the line will be joined end to end and operable as one system until close to then.

- Paul

Eglinton Crosstown LRT​

Construction Notice
5692fa05-39ce-4499-beba-e6034a51172c.png

Overhead Catenary System Energization between Laird Drive and Kennedy Road​

May 2021​

93d39712-1704-4a63-9926-28710703d683.png

On May 3, 2021, the overhead catenary system (OCS) between Laird Drive and Kennedy Road will be energized. Once energized the OCS cables are electrified and dangerous if encountered. It is never safe to go near the OCS. Please obey signage and stay away from all overhead cables.

The OCS installed above the LRT tracks and powers the Light Rail Vehicles (LRVs). Power is delivered from traction power substations located along the alignment to the LRVs via the OCS cables.​

What to Expect

Signage will be installed along the At-Grade alignment to notify the public that the OCS is live.​

Hours of Work

• The OCS will be energized as of Monday, May 3, 2021 between Laird Dr and Kennedy Rd.​

Traffic and Pedestrian Details

• No traffic or pedestrian changes are required for this work.​

Eglinton Crosstown LRT​

Construction Notice

5692fa05-39ce-4499-beba-e6034a51172c.png

Overhead Catenary System Energization between Laird Drive and Kennedy Road​

May 2021​

93d39712-1704-4a63-9926-28710703d683.png

On May 3, 2021, the overhead catenary system (OCS) between Laird Drive and Kennedy Road will be energized. Once energized the OCS cables are electrified and dangerous if encountered. It is never safe to go near the OCS. Please obey signage and stay away from all overhead cables.

The OCS installed above the LRT tracks and powers the Light Rail Vehicles (LRVs). Power is delivered from traction power substations located along the alignment to the LRVs via the OCS cables.​

What to Expect

Signage will be installed along the At-Grade alignment to notify the public that the OCS is live.​

Hours of Work

• The OCS will be energized as of Monday, May 3, 2021 between Laird Dr and Kennedy Rd.​

Traffic and Pedestrian Details

• No traffic or pedestrian changes are required for this work.​

Good. Surface section testing can start soon after.

Good. Surface section testing can start soon after.
What does soon mean to you??

Not until they can get cars past Yonge Station, test the other stations and then the surface. Missing tacks still needs to be place as well finishing off the stations.

What does soon mean to you??

Not until they can get cars past Yonge Station, test the other stations and then the surface. Missing tacks still needs to be place as well finishing off the stations.
Again, according to Metrolinx, they want to start surface section testing late this spring/summer If they can figure out how to get the LRVs onto the surface section, then go ahead.

Again, according to Metrolinx, they want to start surface section testing late this spring/summer If they can figure out how to get the LRVs onto the surface section, then go ahead.
The same way they delivered the streetcars, radial cars, and subway cars at the Halton County Radial Railway (HCRR). Note the articulated streetcar at the end of the video.

Likely use temporary crossovers in the delivery process.

Until they get an LRV past Yonge, ML is not sure when testing will take place with spring/summer window being used at this time. More like summer/fall at this time

There is 2 way an LRV can get past Yonge at this time from waiting until the OS is in place or to pull a car on the completed track. Then, how far does the car have to be pull from both sides of Yonge that has no operating OS?? I can see the pulling of the LRV first then waiting for the OS to be ready.

Should note, all systems pull LRV along a line to make sure clearance is ok a couple of times in both direction before power is use on the LRV to move by itself

Until they get an LRV past Yonge, ML is not sure when testing will take place with spring/summer window being used at this time. More like summer/fall at this time

There is 2 way an LRV can get past Yonge at this time from waiting until the OS is in place or to pull a car on the completed track. Then, how far does the car have to be pull from both sides of Yonge that has no operating OS?? I can see the pulling of the LRV first then waiting for the OS to be ready.

Should note, all systems pull LRV along a line to make sure clearance is ok a couple of times in both direction before power is use on the LRV to move by itself
They delivered the first light rail vehicles by tracker-trailer. They can do the same using either an existing LRV or a newly delivered LRV to the east end. If they do that with the Halton County Radial Museum, they can do the same with the east of the Crosstown LRT.

They delivered the first light rail vehicles by tracker-trailer. They can do the same using either an existing LRV or a newly delivered LRV to the east end. If they do that with the Halton County Radial Museum, they can do the same with the east of the Crosstown LRT.
Yes they can, but my understanding ML has no plans to do it at this time. Depending on the length of delay, ML maybe force to do this. It would require an intersection to be close off during the night to off load the LRV and which intersection is wide enough to have a trailer fit the intersection as well the cab as well having room for the ramp from the trailer to the track?? Easy said than done

Yes they can, but my understanding ML has no plans to do it at this time. Depending on the length of delay, ML maybe force to do this. It would require an intersection to be close off during the night to off load the LRV and which intersection is wide enough to have a trailer fit the intersection as well the cab as well having room for the ramp from the trailer to the track?? Easy said than done

Another poster confirmed that Metrolinx will be transporting the LRT Trains by road to the surface section. Also I confirmed with Metrolinx will start this spring i.e. before June 21 at the latest. You can flip a few pages before to see the convo on this.

Back