News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 998     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 371     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

There were five workers on site today fastening the rails to the ties. From today:

20210502_152949.jpg
20210502_153237.jpg
20210502_154326.jpg
20210502_154433.jpg
20210502_154919.jpg
20210502_155409.jpg
20210502_155413.jpg

Last edited:
Once energized the OCS cables are electrified and dangerous if encountered. It is never safe to go near the OCS. Please obey signage and stay away from all overhead cables.

Are Torontoians killings themselves from streetcar OCS cables downtown too often that they need to write this? ML is always out of sync with reality.

Once energized the OCS cables are electrified and dangerous if encountered. It is never safe to go near the OCS. Please obey signage and stay away from all overhead cables.

Are Torontoians killings themselves from streetcar OCS cables downtown too often that they need to write this? ML is always out of sync with reality.
Are you actually criticizing Metrolinx for posting a safety message about a new piece of infrastructure? Metrolinx deserves criticism for some things, but I think it would be irresponsible to not mention the danger of high voltage wires in a public posting.

Are you actually criticizing Metrolinx for posting a safety message about a new piece of infrastructure? Metrolinx deserves criticism for some things, but I think it would be irresponsible to not mention the danger of high voltage wires in a public posting.
Its simply legalese to protect them from litigation.

thinking this is a valid criticism is pretty out of sync with reality 🤔

Will be driving along Eglinton today on the surface level... Hopefully some lights are and signs are turned on (wishful thinking I think though)
Besides some small signs that say Danger due to energized OCS nothing else has really changed. The everyday Joe has no idea what OCS even means. See pics. tried to make them as clear as possible

IMG_0657.jpg
IMG_0659.jpg
IMG_0661 (1).jpg
IMG_0660.jpg

The stops don't pull power from the catenary, do they? I'd have thought that was just for the vehicles
Of course not. It makes no sense cause those things wouldn’t need to be run at 750V DC. They won’t be connected to the same circuit either as they don’t need to cut power to all the lighting if they ever need to cut power to the OCS.

The danger to pedestrians is the same as the live wires along the side of the road. As long as you’re not carrying a 10m metal pole upwards or driving a raised bulldozer/dump truck. You’ll be fine.

The stops don't pull power from the catenary, do they? I'd have thought that was just for the vehicles

Neither the stops, nor the signal system, are directly connected to the OCS. They both have their own independant power sources - stations are powered by connections to the local grid, and the signal system through a UPS/battery backup at low voltage.

Of course not. It makes no sense cause those things wouldn’t need to be run at 750V DC. They won’t be connected to the same circuit either as they don’t need to cut power to all the lighting if they ever need to cut power to the OCS.

Never heard of a transformer?

Dan

Back