News   Jul 12, 2024
 880     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 788     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 329     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Not much new, just a recap of the June 27 Mx Board meeting. At least it's finally made it into mainstream media:

Report sheds light on beleaguered Eglinton Crosstown LRT’s progress​

And in other Eglinton Crosstown news...

Eglinton to be ripped up for bike lanes after LRT construction​

My suggestion to the TTC: just cancel the 34 Eglinton parallel bus service. Avenue to Yonge is already gridlocked in rush hour with this one lane per direction design. They are just extending this all the way to Keele so nothing moves.

the article pointed back to the first presentation by metrolinx back in september: https://assets.metrolinx.com/image/...x/ECLRT_Briefing_Deck_-_September_27_2023.pdf

comparing to what Phil said at the board meeting...

Site Acceptance Testing at 91.4% up from 66.4%
System Integration Testing from 6.4% to 69.2%
Occupancy Permits from 13 to 36 out of 40
Construction Certificates from 0 to 5 out of 46

Yeaaa. thats not great

the article pointed back to the first presentation by metrolinx back in september: https://assets.metrolinx.com/image/...x/ECLRT_Briefing_Deck_-_September_27_2023.pdf

comparing to what Phil said at the board meeting...

Site Acceptance Testing at 91.4% up from 66.4%
System Integration Testing from 6.4% to 69.2%
Occupancy Permits from 13 to 36 out of 40
Construction Certificates from 0 to 5 out of 46

Yeaaa. thats not great
Not great but progress. I think 2024 is likely not feasible but hoping it opens in 2025!

My suggestion to the TTC: just cancel the 34 Eglinton parallel bus service. Avenue to Yonge is already gridlocked in rush hour with this one lane per direction design. They are just extending this all the way to Keele so nothing moves.
I never understood the need for a parallel bus service when the LRT stops are about 800m apart. It’s not that much of a walk for able bodied and for those with mobility issues they can take wheel trans or an Uber. Sorry but public transit should be designed for the majority and not to please everyone in every circumstance. Just like the Yonge bus is pretty useless except for when it’s replacing the subway. The Eglinton 34 bus is not needed at all once the LRT opens except as a replacement during track work.

• Angry
Reactions: T3G
I never understood the need for a parallel bus service when the LRT stops are about 800m apart. It’s not that much of a walk for able bodied and for those with mobility issues they can take wheel trans or an Uber. Sorry but public transit should be designed for the majority and not to please everyone in every circumstance. Just like the Yonge bus is pretty useless except for when it’s replacing the subway. The Eglinton 34 bus is not needed at all once the LRT opens except as a replacement during track work.

The Yonge bus started running in 1954, and I'm sure that if it served no purpose some city administration would have cut it by now.
It makes perfect sense to operate a surface bus on Eglinton for a period after the Crosstown opens to gauge the demand. Lots of room to adjust frequency and timing once there is ridership experience.
Your suggestion that the less than able bodied take an Uber is pretty condescending. Those that need the surface bus need it a lot.
Four or five buses versus a load of Ubers and Wheeltrans is a lot better use of street capacity.
- Paul

Yes. How is it that other cities seem to deal with this and not have parallel overlapping service.

The Yonge bus started running in 1954, and I'm sure that if it served no purpose some city administration would have cut it by now.
It makes perfect sense to operate a surface bus on Eglinton for a period after the Crosstown opens to gauge the demand. Lots of room to adjust frequency and timing once there is ridership experience.
Your suggestion that the less than able bodied take an Uber is pretty condescending. Those that need the surface bus need it a lot.
Four or five buses versus a load of Ubers and Wheeltrans is a lot better use of street capacity.
- Paul
Honestly I'm torn; this take really seems the most accurate, but it leaves the lack of a full time bus on Bloor / Danforth the major oddity. I really have to wonder if the best approach might not be to seriously de-emphasize the actual duplicative routes but beef up and in some cases create nearby parallels that can be completely dedicate to the ultra local role.

Yes. How is it that other cities seem to deal with this and not have parallel overlapping service.
Is there a particular city you have in mind that you think we should emulate?

Our closest relation, New York, for example, has many bus lines that operate on top of streets that subways run under. Prague does the same thing, but with trams. If one looks at maps of transit out in the far flung suburban areas, these might seem lacking as compared to the core, but that goes to show you that even cities with better transit than ours can always do better.

And if you are aware of the factors that I pointed out, why suggest Wheel-Trans or Uber as a workable alternative in the first place?!

ask someone with a walker who is a slow walker as well someone with a cane or a wheelchairs. If you have young children, try walking that distance with then a few time.

the 34 will have a bitch of a time traveling that single lane

Back