News   May 07, 2024
 298     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 308     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 305     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Tell that to Ford. You might have to speak slowly and point to things. And repeat it many times. Or just give up.

To get his attention, yell "Subways, Subways, Subways". Cartoon drawings might assist in making your case to him. Maybe not...
There's nothing inherently wrong with borrowing money to pay for infrastructure, especially if the lifespan of the infrastructure outlives the period in which you're borrowing the money for, and there's a concrete plan to pay back the debt. Where do you think the province is getting the money to pay for all their infrastructure projects? Let's just hope Doug has a plan to pay back debts and doesn't waste insane amounts of money on redundant transit projects.

Back to the Crosstown.

Everyone said that the best solution was to have the LRT south of Eglinton. Now that the portal has been done, maybe Eglinton can be moved north of the LRT.

Here is a zoom in of the what is now called Glassworks Drive (I think it was tentatively called Scenic Drive during construction).

The current plan seems to have
  • 3 lanes north of the portal (2 WB through lanes and a turn lane) - say 3 x 3m.
  • A sidewalk, say 1.5m.
  • A boulevard, say 2m.
  • A bike path, say 2m.
  • Total = 14.5m

Proposed solution is as follows:
  • 2 lanes north of the portal for 2 EB lanes - say 2x3m
  • 3 lanes WB (2 WB through lanes and a turn lane) - say 3 x 3m.
  • A sidewalk, say 1.5m.
  • No boulevard.
  • A bike path, say 2m.
  • Total = 18.5m

An extra 4m is needed to the north. The property lines are far enough back, but there is a hill there so it requires some retaining walls. This is really only the very short stretch at the portal - maybe 100m length. This wall would likely cost in the $1M range. (Likely a few residence wouldn't be too happy.

The LRT and Eglinton would shift south after the portal so that Eglinton would basically be back to current alignment at Leslie, while the LRT would be on the south side. The West Don River Bridge would need some widening.

xx.jpg

Attachments

• xx.jpg
    xx.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
Tell that to Ford. You might have to speak slowly and point to things. And repeat it many times. Or just give up.

To get his attention, yell "Subways, Subways, Subways". Cartoon drawings might assist in making your case to him. Maybe not...sprinkle in lots of "Folks" and "The People"...and when he starts his bobble head thing, get him to say "Simon Says".
I have a feeling that there are going to be a lot of exchanges like this at Queens Park over the next 4 years.

Come to think of it, the way that populists like Doug Ford and Trump get elected has a lot in common with the way Homer Simpson became sanitation commissioner (yeah I know, different episode). He's already making crazy promises like a subway to Pickering, and wants to eliminate a bunch of revenue sources. Let's just hope he doesn't blow his entire year's budget in a month, because those garbage men won't work for free.

I work at Wynford/Concorde Place - in the past week or so there has been major construction work on the Wynford bridge. I'm assuming this is in preparation for Crosstown track and platform installation. Is there a timeframe for when the above ground trackwork is scheduled to commence?

I work at Wynford/Concorde Place - in the past week or so there has been major construction work on the Wynford bridge. I'm assuming this is in preparation for Crosstown track and platform installation. Is there a timeframe for when the above ground trackwork is scheduled to commence?

If you want to talk construction...

Kennedy and Eglinton is a disaster right now. The intersection is strictly controlled in terms of direction.

This is all a result of work being done at Kennedy Station for the LRT which reminds me, anyone know when that will all be completed? I remember hearing something about a 4 month closure of the north side bus bays at the station while they excavate.

If you want to talk construction...

Kennedy and Eglinton is a disaster right now. The intersection is strictly controlled in terms of direction.

This is all a result of work being done at Kennedy Station for the LRT which reminds me, anyone know when that will all be completed? I remember hearing something about a 4 month closure of the north side bus bays at the station while they excavate.

As it happens, ML just uploaded a presentation on Kennedy - it can be found here.

The Crosstown website actually has a lot of information on it about what's going on in each area, including Wynford.

- Paul

As it happens, ML just uploaded a presentation on Kennedy - it can be found here.

The Crosstown website actually has a lot of information on it about what's going on in each area, including Wynford.

- Paul
Is it end of 2018 or 2019 when the substantial completion of the underground stations is supposed to be attained?

The Fords are to blame for bringing density to the north side of the Eglinton corridor? I thought that's what the railfans always cry about as a prerequisite for building mass transit lines.

And lest we forget, the south side of the Eglinton corridor is still 80% parkland/bike trails and could be utilized as ROW.

We survived 14 years of some bigtime misconstrued facts under the Liberals. At least now we can move forward to plan transit solution most commuters can support and wont be overturned directly on it attention to important details which were overlooked during the Transit City years

Christ guys... There is no need to be blindly partisan here, the issue is entirely black and white on the facts, regardless of whatever lies and manipulation the Liberals or David Miller did in the past.

Don't be afraid to say it out loud. The Fords fucked us, the taxpayers, when they sold the Richview corridor. It is simple. It requires no spin or defence. It doesn't negate any other point or argument relating to transit plans elsewhere. It is just a simple admission of facts.

I'm not sure what I found more troubling while reading that page of discussion. The willingness to twist basic facts so deliberately or the blind faith that the Fords could do no wrong.

Christ guys... There is no need to be blindly partisan here, the issue is entirely black and white on the facts, regardless of whatever lies and manipulation the Liberals or David Miller did in the past.

Don't be afraid to say it out loud. The Fords fucked us, the taxpayers, when they sold the Richview corridor. It is simple. It requires no spin or defence. It doesn't negate any other point or argument relating to transit plans elsewhere. It is just a simple admission of facts.

I'm not sure what I found more troubling while reading that page of discussion. The willingness to twist basic facts so deliberately or the blind faith that the Fords could do no wrong.

A bit more fulsome of history here:

- around 2005 the Province prohibited the city from selling the land
- in 2008 Build Toronto was created to start to sell off the land
- in 2010 the announced the sell off
- 2013 was when it was mostly sold off (with room enough only for a surface line...no room for a trench or cut and cover)

Sure...try to blame the Fords. But the start of the sell-off predated them. Will you also blame them for only keeping enough room for a surface LRT?

A bit more fulsome of history here:

- around 2005 the Province prohibited the city from selling the land
- in 2008 Build Toronto was created to start to sell off the land
- in 2010 the announced the sell off
- 2013 was when it was mostly sold off (with room enough only for a surface line...no room for a trench or cut and cover)

Sure...try to blame the Fords. But the start of the sell-off predated them. Will you also blame them for only keeping enough room for a surface LRT?

You don't happen to have a council or committee meeting reference? It would be interesting to know where the Fords were when the issue was voted on.

- Paul

No question the Brothers Dim had their hands in the firesale of Richview corridor; certainly helped the books. But I think it's wrong to reconfigure now-historical scenarios to act like Crosstown could've been a medium-capacity subway *if only* Richview hadn't been sold off. In the 70s/80s, for sure concepts of affordable grade-separation would've put it to use. But in the 00s and early 10s it was pretty darn official that Eglinton's outer sections were to be an in-median tram-style setup. In other words selling off Richview would've made no difference.

And even if the short-lived McGuinty-Ford Eglinton Subway came to fruition, it's a wash since the whole thing was to be underground anyway. Sure it could've used cut'n'cover using the ROW, but when Metrolinx studied all-underground for Crosstown East the whole bloody thing was deep bore. Even going under the mammoth Don Valley.

So yeah, it was stupid to sell off the corridor without considering the potential of its uses. But we had plenty of time pre-Ford to make its uses known, yet we skipped them for the Crosstown we have today. Ford or no Ford it likely would've sat aside unused or been sold

Still don't understand why they are resurfacing Eglinton Avenue West in Etobicoke if they are to build a light rail right-of-way down the middle or to the south side of the roadway. See link. There were worse roads with potholes elsewhere.

Still, they have to finish all the construction and others in the area before they start with the rebuilding of the Scarlett Road railway bridge in 2019. See link and that thread at link.

Back