News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 720     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I dont understand it either. People paid super little to live in these priority neighbourhoods at one point. And now they are being offered 2-4 times what they paid. And somehow they are victims of gentrification.

Ok, so a person can sell their home for good money. That's great. Now tell me, where in this city could they afford a new home in a similar neighbourhood with the same good access to rapid transit, without spending 100% of their profits just to buy the new property?

It's not necessarily individuals that are victims of gentrification, but the broader community. A few people may cash in while others in the community are directly or indirectly priced out of their homes. Furthermore, the split between rental and owned housing in the area is 50%. The 50% renting won't experience the financial benefits you describe.

Having a developer offer to pay you at or above market price for your home can in no reasonable way be characterized as being priced out of one's own home.

Ok, so a person can sell their home for good money. That's great. Now tell me, where in this city could they afford a new home in a similar neighbourhood with the same good access to rapid transit, without spending 100% of their profits just to buy the new property?

They don't have to sell. It is a choice.

Seeing your home gain value is only nice if you can find somewhere cheaper to buy after you sell to the developer.

If you stay put, your new tax assessment, reflecting the new market value, will bite. Mine went up 31% this year, on a 1952 house not enlarged from the original - thanks to the megahomes built on my street over the past few years.

- Paul

Seeing your home gain value is only nice if you can find somewhere cheaper to buy after you sell to the developer.

If you stay put, your new tax assessment, reflecting the new market value, will bite. Mine went up 31% this year, on a 1952 house not enlarged from the original - thanks to the megahomes built on my street over the past few years.

- Paul

Time to appeal.

Forget the chain or franchisee coffee shops, use the indie cafe and shops in the Mt. Dennis area.

20140707-supercoffee-ext.jpg

See link. Supercoffee (see link) is at the southwest corner of Weston & Eglinton, the opposite corner of the future Mt. Dennis Crosstown station.

Back