News   Aug 06, 2024
 1.5K     3 
News   Aug 06, 2024
 1.3K     3 
News   Aug 06, 2024
 609     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

The current naming convention has worked well when you have just 2 perpendicular lines, so each major street gets one station except for the handful of east and west stations. So when there are more lines then neighbourhood names starts to make more sense, particularly if you put the street name under the station name like on University section of the line. The street name can even be part of the announcements we well.
Yes, I think this is the ideal solution. Give each station a distinctive and unique name, but indicate the cross street if it's not in the name. The cross street could also be shown on system maps. Eliminate ambiguity but don't inhibit wayfinding. What's not to like?

But St Andrew on the other hand - to this day I still have no idea why it's named like that, and sometimes I forget if it's on King street or Queen street.

I mentioned a few posts ago it's named after St. Andrew parish.

A perfect example of why this naming system doesn't work. People in Toronto still don't know what St. Andrew is, 50 years after it was added to the RT map!

(Ironically, the only reason I know that was because AlvinofDiaspar told me, if I remember correctly)

Leaside has a similar problem. Nobody associates Leaside with Bayview, the retail there is called South Bayview Village BIA and not Leaside BIA for a reason.

And I thought the same regarding Chaplin. I don't mind if Chaplin is renamed Forest Hill, that is kinda the center of Forest Hill, up the street from Forest Hill Secondary, and next to both Spadina and Chaplin.

Problem with Sunnybrook is that the hospital is at Bayview&Lawrence, not at Bayview&Eglinton. Plus more people associate Sunnybrook with Sunnybrook Park which is on Leslie, not Bayview.

This will be further exacerbated when Sunnybrook Plaza gets redeveloped into condos.

I associate Bayview & Eg with Leaside, personally

Until the last few posts, I assumed that it would be Laird that would be called Leaside. Isn't Laird/Eglinton a lot closer to the centre of Leaside than Bayview/Eglinton? This old image from http://static.torontopubliclibrary.ca/da/pdfs/31385029308291.pdf
shows that Bayview was the western edge. Which would make Laird/Eglinton much closer to the centre:

upload_2015-10-2_12-31-17.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-10-2_12-31-17.png
    upload_2015-10-2_12-31-17.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 385
Its crazy. Obviously Metrolinx employees have too much time on their hands

Agreed, someone is just trying to legitimize their job. Metrolinx has time and time again shown they are more interested in branding than efficiency. Let's rename Forest Hill "Drakeville" while we're at it.

Reactions: BMO
Agreed, someone is just trying to legitimize their job. Metrolinx has time and time again shown they are more interested in branding than efficiency. Let's rename Forest Hill "Drakeville" while we're at it.

Sounds good! Also TTC should be renamed 6TC

Leaside has a similar problem. Nobody associates Leaside with Bayview, the retail there is called South Bayview Village BIA and not Leaside BIA for a reason.

That's weird. I've always associated Leaside with Laird, since that's the geographic centre of Leaside.

The only station that should be named Leaside is a future Midtown GO station.

I don't see a reason to rename Laird as Leaside when there is no other station called Laird. I find it contrived to then call the adjacent station outside the geographic center of the neighbourhood as "Leaside".

For instance, I don't live in Leaside neighbourhood, yet I can walk to the future Bayview station within 90 seconds. Confusing? Yes it is.

We can call this station "South Bayview Station" seeing as the South Bayview Village BIA is directly to the south. We can also rename the Bayview station on Sheppard as "Bayview Village" and there would be absolutely no confusion.

lol on their site for voting for the names, theres no voting limit per account.

I voted 3 times for the same name :p

They'll likely clean the results data afterwards and check submissions by user and get rid of all their votes prior to their latest. But it is pretty amateur of them not to just have the one voting option with the ability to change or modify your vote.

But it is pretty amateur of them not to just have the one voting option with the ability to change or modify your vote.
Hey, I can't even log in. I registered and get an email back which says Password: Your Password which doesn't work. When I try resetting the password, I get an email with a link, and then I click on that, it wants a password, but nothing in the email.

Reactions: BMO
Hey, I can't even log in. I registered and get an email back which says Password: Your Password which doesn't work. When I try resetting the password, I get an email with a link, and then I click on that, it wants a password, but nothing in the email.

Yea it took me a few minutes to figure out. You click the link in the email and you can set your password. I also typed "Your password" as well and had to figure it out

Last edited:

Forest Hill station should be named "The 6"

Back