News   Jul 09, 2024
 768     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 606     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

They should be starting the next launch shaft at Eglinton West soon, shouldn't they? Based on how long it took them to prep the 1st one, the TBM will be there by the time they finish the one at Eglinton West.

So I'm still confused, it has been a couple of months now since we heard that they would be returning to the original alignment for the eastern portion before don mills, but there is still nothing official out of Metrolinx on it. (Or at least on the crosstown website) could it have just been a misplaced news article or did it actually happen? I'm confused haha.

So I'm still confused, it has been a couple of months now since we heard that they would be returning to the original alignment for the eastern portion before don mills, but there is still nothing official out of Metrolinx on it. (Or at least on the crosstown website) could it have just been a misplaced news article or did it actually happen? I'm confused haha.

I don't think it was ever officially changed from the original alignment, they just decided to study an underground alignment, but then stopped the study.

Check out the Metrolinx last Board Meeting agenda:
http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/agendas/agendas_2013_06_27.aspx

I can swear I read this in one of the items.

Well I guess I will just hold out my hopes on this as I vastly prefer the option of running it underground to Don Mills.

"Metrolinx had proposed an amendment to the EA for East end tunnel alignment, to extend the tunnel further east to Don Mills station. Amendment will not be pursued after receiving extensive public feedback."

Balls.

What's the big deal? Seems like plenty of room on the surface between Laird and Don Mills, and there's essentially no buildings fronting Eglinton here so the road could easily be widened. Why is it worth the cost?

yes but there is an 11km/h difference due to it being grade seperated. plus there is essentially no cost due to the access to cheaper staging grounds at the science centre parking lot. (finding efficiencies kind of thing)

yes but there is an 11km/h difference due to it being grade seperated. plus there is essentially no cost due to the access to cheaper staging grounds at the science centre parking lot. (finding efficiencies kind of thing)

Hell, even if they ran it on the south side of the road and kept the stop I would have no issues with it.

What's the big deal? Seems like plenty of room on the surface between Laird and Don Mills, and there's essentially no buildings fronting Eglinton here so the road could easily be widened. Why is it worth the cost?

The cost of the underground option is almost same as the cost of surface option, according to Metrolinx. The savings from not tunneling are counterbalanced by the need to treat the contaminated soil that they will extract from the Brentcliffe launch shaft.

The problem with the surface in-median option is not so much speed, as capacity. If the line was underground up to Don Mills, they could run double the amount of service on the busiest section between Yonge and Don Mills, they could use automatic train control and get the frequency down to 2 min or perhaps even 90 s. Now, they will be limited to about 3 min frequency both west and east of Don Mills. East of Don Mills this is enough, but west of Don Mills it might get very crowded.

Hell, even if they ran it on the south side of the road and kept the stop I would have no issues with it.

Yes, south of the road option would be the most logical. Metrolinx dropped it from consideration for some very odd reasons, something like they do not want to go to the City Council for the new EA approval.

Back