News   Oct 11, 2024
 390     1 
News   Oct 11, 2024
 370     0 
News   Oct 11, 2024
 370     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

they wasted all that money on useless bike lanes c/w curbs and marker posts on ferrand yet neglected to deal with eglinton which will have 100x more traffic. big fail on city planning

Sorry but separated bike lanes that protect me and my family from entitled drivers are never useless. No matter how little YOU may use them.

Sorry but separated bike lanes that protect me and my family from entitled drivers are never useless. No matter how little YOU may use them.
i invite you to spend a day at Ferrand drive to count how many bikes that use these bike lanes which include:
-concrete curbs throughout the entire stretch
-custom painted curbs on rochfort
-bendy markers throughout the entire stretch
-painted lanes including a bike LEFT TURN LANE

i agree we can have painted lines or markers to slow traffic down but to have ALL of the above in a neighbourhood that barely bikes let alone has much vehicular traffic, where meanwhile Eglinton merely has painted lanes shows how mismanaged priorities are. my office overlooks the entire ferrand stretch so i can see first hand how little its used. its simply a lobbyist exercise gone too far.

i agree we can have painted lines or markers to slow traffic down but to have ALL of the above in a neighbourhood that barely bikes let alone has much vehicular traffic, where meanwhile Eglinton merely has painted lanes shows how mismanaged priorities are. my office overlooks the entire ferrand stretch so i can see first hand how little its used. its simply a lobbyist exercise gone too far.
I understand your perspective on the low usage, but also consider the low (non-existent) usage of the nearby Science Centre LRT station – they’re heavily correlated. I argue that the cycle infra priorities would be inverted had this opened more timely (the cycling infrastructure folks certainly couldn’t forecast these delays).

Cycling routes parallel to rapid transit are still useful, but cycling routes that branch out from rapid transit stations are even better. They increase the catchment area of stations by making them more accessible in less time.

With the LRT in service eventually, Bikeshare will likely be rolled out in the area too.

I understand your perspective on the low usage, but also consider the low (non-existent) usage of the nearby Science Centre LRT station – they’re heavily correlated. I argue that the cycle infra priorities would be inverted had this opened more timely (the cycling infrastructure folks certainly couldn’t forecast these delays).

Cycling routes parallel to rapid transit are still useful, but cycling routes that branch out from rapid transit stations are even better. They increase the catchment area of stations by making them more accessible in less time.

With the LRT in service eventually, Bikeshare will likely be rolled out in the area too.
time will tell... there actually is a bike share station right at the intersection. we will see how it will turn out in the next few years but imo they still went way overboard from one extreme to another on this stretch

i invite you to spend a day at Ferrand drive to count how many bikes that use these bike lanes which include:
-concrete curbs throughout the entire stretch
-custom painted curbs on rochfort
-bendy markers throughout the entire stretch
-painted lanes including a bike LEFT TURN LANE

They likely wouldn’t be there if there wasn’t a study showing a number of cyclists already using the route. Toronto has rarely been (or even able to afford to be) an “if you build it, they will come”-city. Almost everything the city does seems to be reactionary.

Besides which, drivers seem to expect bike lanes to look and act like car lanes; that if the cars are packed and moving slowly, the bike lanes should be the same. The fact is, because bike lanes flow so well, and because bikes are so small relative to cars, the same amount of cyclists will never seem the same as the number of drivers. It very much creates the illusion that bike lanes are “barely used”.

Frankly though, if people don’t like waiting in traffic, they should really bike.

Back