News   May 31, 2024
 851     6 
News   May 31, 2024
 3K     2 
News   May 31, 2024
 1K     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Could the opening date be announced in June for the September opening date??
giphy.gif

0% chance this is opening in September, sorry to break the news to you.
I still do not understand why they can't "half open" part of the line, while still fixing those small parts where the problem remains.
Surely the remaining complications are only in select locations, and not applied to the whole line...???
Sorry, not trying to rant, just frustrated like everyone else waiting...and waiting... :confused:

I still do not understand why they can't "half open" part of the line, while still fixing those small parts where the problem remains.
Surely the remaining complications are only in select locations, and not applied to the whole line...???
Sorry, not trying to rant, just frustrated like everyone else waiting...and waiting... :confused:
If anything that might take even longer - systems are so integrated that it would be very difficult to do this. Also, the "remaining complications" are relatively minor, we can wait.

It's not Seattle, where a large section of their under construction Line 2 is being rebuilt before it even opens - so they opened a "finished" section early

its because of how dumb the contract was written.
Like its an all or nothing, Id bet theres no provision for partial openings, so if they open partially theyre owed the entire payment as if it was fully completed

Besides appeasing railfans and forcing an additional transfer for people along the line, what benefits exactly would phased opening achieve?

I'm guessing partially opening would create some operational complexity with high volumes of transfers in a place where it was not designed for.

All the reasons above, and the most behind station is Eglinton/Yonge, which is kinda the most important station in the system.

Another reason is when you do partial opens it leaves opportunities for journalists to say its a failure, etc because its slow etc (might not operationally be able to run smoothly with partial open) and the closures that would result in ongoing finishing work would also make great "Metrolinx bungles another project again" articles.

Journalists are vultures and they will spin even the smallest thing into a huge problem. Better to have them write that its delayed and open when its ready and working well.

All the reasons above, and the most behind station is Eglinton/Yonge, which is kinda the most important station in the system.

Another reason is when you do partial opens it leaves opportunities for journalists to say its a failure, etc because its slow etc (might not operationally be able to run smoothly with partial open) and the closures that would result in ongoing finishing work would also make great "Metrolinx bungles another project again" articles.

Journalists are vultures and they will spin even the smallest thing into a huge problem. Better to have them write that its delayed and open when its ready and working well.
In Seattle they're partially opened their new line and I only saw journalism about how "the line is finally open"

with the resumption of LRT testing along the line does anyone know if thats because the latest software patch has been applied and/or the track has been fully repaired?
I've been seeing vehicles regularly between the DVP and Victoria Park since about New Years. Was there a pause? Offhand, I haven't seen much on weekends before.

opportunities for journalists to say its a failure, etc because its slow etc (might not operationally be able to run smoothly with partial open)
Journalists?

If the line partially opened, this line of thinking would be peppered over every LRT adjacent discussion on this very forum! We would be hearing all about how the line should have been a subway, which famously are never delayed in their construction.

Went by Eglinton East today. LRVs are probably not running at full operating frequency, but there are definitely a lot of them testing at once. West-bound some LRV displays say "Eglinton // to Mount Dennis" and not just LRV testing/training.

There has been a lot of (fair) criticism in this thread about the lack of signal priority, waiting for left turning vehicles etc. But I will say this: even with all of those shortcomings, the LRVs *do* move faster than vehicle traffic, especially at key chokepoints, which make all the difference imo. At intersections like Leslie and Sloane cars and buses were stuck for as long as three signal cycles. By that time the LRV was through and far, far ahead -- enough so that you couldn't even catch up in a car.

There is so much doomerism in this thread about a line that's not even open yet. I really think it's worth withholding our judgement until after this thing is up and running.

On Saturday, May 11 there will be an increase in the number of light rail vehicles (LRVs) travelling along the ECLRT alignment as part of testing work for the project. This work will ensure that all software and control systems are tested and work properly.​

A good day for LRV-spotting!

Something really bothering me is the current lane setup southbound on Leslie at Eglinton. Normally, I wouldn't care about a slip lane being removed, but here it seems to have backfired.

Leslie approaching Eglinton has always been 3 lanes - 2 south to east, one west. Since they removed the slip lane/island to create a new west side pedestrian crossing, every entitled a**hole utilizes the centre (left) turn lane as a second right turn lane, with those less courageous trying merge into the correct lane at the very last moment.

The whole southbound right lane on Leslie between Lawrence and Eglinton can be an absolute clusterf***. This impacts bus riders the most. Some honest drivers sit in line all the way from Lawrence, which from experience can take 40mins.

In my opinion, this is one of those unintended side-effects of the delayed opening of Line 5, since there weren't meant to be all those 54 passengers on Leslie at this point anyway.

If the City really cared, they could turn that centre turn lane into a bus-only lane, and add the vertical bar signal to the southbound signals.

Back