News   Apr 29, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 624     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

This would add at least 2 more years of delay. ML was behind already and having to design all the entrances for housing would stall the project.

I believe Leaside Station is the only station designed to have a condo possible be built on top of the entrance. http://thecrosstown.ca/sites/default/files/leaside_final.pdf

There is also a condo being built at Eglinton and Bathurst (Forest Hill Condominiums) that will have an entrance to the LRT station located within the building.

There is also a condo being built at Eglinton and Bathurst (Forest Hill Condominiums) that will have an entrance to the LRT station located within the building.
Yup, pictures below. Under construction now.
089D1BF0-7627-4134-8E23-F1ABD60FC6F1.jpeg

3C032F2E-74DE-4F3C-BF7F-493FE4638507.jpeg

Yup, pictures below. Under construction now.
View attachment 425877

View attachment 425878

The thing is, Forest Hill Condominiums are at the south-west corner of Bathurst and Eglinton where there isn't any station entrance currently. Don't get me wrong, this is a good development as the developer is footing the bill for another entrance to the station, but this is not what I'm referring to.

What about the north-east corner where the main station entrance is or on the north side of Eglinton west of Bathurst where the secondary entrance is? Where is the provision for additional development above the station entrances that are currently being built by Metrolinx?

1662744898958.png

Metrolinx have expropriated tons of retail spaces along Eglinton to build their stations. But not only are we never getting the retail back, we're also not getting any usable development potential on top of those locations.

I agree that the Crosstown stations have struck a balance between too much grandeur (TYSSE) and too much utilitarian (Sheppard Subway). But there is definitely room for improvement from what we currently have on the Crosstown.

The thing is, Forest Hill Condominiums are at the south-west corner of Bathurst and Eglinton where there isn't any station entrance currently. Don't get me wrong, this is a good development as the developer is footing the bill for another entrance to the station, but this is not what I'm referring to.

What about the north-east corner where the main station entrance is or on the north side of Eglinton west of Bathurst where the secondary entrance is? Where is the provision for additional development above the station entrances that are currently being built by Metrolinx?

View attachment 425880

Metrolinx have expropriated tons of retail spaces along Eglinton to build their stations. But not only are we never getting the retail back, we're also not getting any usable development potential on top of those locations.

I agree that the Crosstown stations have struck a balance between too much grandeur (TYSSE) and too much utilitarian (Sheppard Subway). But there is definitely room for improvement from what we currently have on the Crosstown.
I didn’t think of this until you mentioned how big those station boxes are, was there a reason why they didn’t go with one main entrance and secondary on-street entrances like most line 1 stations downtown?

I didn’t think of this until you mentioned how big those station boxes are, was there a reason why they didn’t go with one main entrance and secondary on-street entrances like most line 1 stations downtown?
They aren't exactly inviting nor is there any sheltered public space for waiting. All recently built stations have an entrance building of some sort. Some of these buildings even house transformers, mechanical equipment and ventilation shafts. They exist as separate buildings on Line 1, just hidden so most would think they don't exist.

It'll just be something like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.658...!1szxpRfo_pU7JDKqNzLWlHHQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192\
Which is built into the station entrance buildings on the Crosstown.

Hi there, long time lurker and first post.

I am interested in development in Toronto and I get excited about the urban changes going on in the city. I am creating content on YouTube that you might find interesting and in particular at the moment on Crosstown.
No obligations but you can check out the channel in my signature.
Enjoy reviewing the threads on here as well and will be contributing going forward. If this post Is out of order I apologize but I thought the content is relevant and you all may be interested. I plan on improving the channel and it will have a lot of relevance to threads like this.

Cheers,

Graham

Hi there, long time lurker and first post.

I am interested in development in Toronto and I get excited about the urban changes going on in the city. I am creating content on YouTube that you might find interesting and in particular at the moment on Crosstown.
No obligations but you can check out the channel in my signature.
Enjoy reviewing the threads on here as well and will be contributing going forward. If this post Is out of order I apologize but I thought the content is relevant and you all may be interested. I plan on improving the channel and it will have a lot of relevance to threads like this.

Cheers,

Graham
Welcome to Urban Toronto! Just checked out your YouTube page, some great videos of transit construction. Feel free to post videos in the appropriate threads. For the Crosstown/Line 5, UT has individual threads for each grade separated/underground station, with surface stations and general updates being posted here. There is also a dedicated thread for the Line 5 West Extension to Renforth. Happy posting!

They aren't exactly inviting nor is there any sheltered public space for waiting. All recently built stations have an entrance building of some sort. Some of these buildings even house transformers, mechanical equipment and ventilation shafts. They exist as separate buildings on Line 1, just hidden so most would think they don't exist.

It'll just be something like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.658...!1szxpRfo_pU7JDKqNzLWlHHQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192\
Which is built into the station entrance buildings on the Crosstown.
Isn’t the waiting area on the platform or in that in that mezzanine level between the train and the street? Unless they’re not planning to do that. Just seems wasteful to have these valuable corner real estate house a station entrance and nothing else.

Isn’t the waiting area on the platform or in that in that mezzanine level between the train and the street? Unless they’re not planning to do that. Just seems wasteful to have these valuable corner real estate house a station entrance and nothing else.
Wait for an Uber/taxi perhaps?

Precisely my point. Wasted opportunity on prime land that's literally on top of the Crosstown stations.

All these stations should have been built with the foundations and load bearing capabilities to hold midrises above them. The construction of these midrises could have then be auctioned off to developers to recoup the costs of the Crosstown. Or, been handed over to HousingNowTO to build affordable housing.

Really hope you're joking! Haha. Tho, wasting millions of dollars of prime land in Toronto because a few folks might need to wait for an Uber seems to be a very possible scenario in Toronto.

I wouldn’t mind some stations having a pickup/ride share zone, but that’s not the case at most of these stations considering there’s no drive through lane or anything, just a big station box. Recently passed by Queen/Spadina and saw that the TD, Fancy Franks at the SW corner was closed due to expropriation by Metrolinx for Ontario Line. If they built retail or housing that would be much better investment with the healthy sums they paid to expropriate that land.

A good number of stations on the crosstown line don't have off-street bus terminals, so people will be waiting for the bus from inside the entrance as it would serve as a weather-protected waiting area, especially during inclement weather events.
It's impractical to wait on the mezzanine level, as you don't have the visual indication of the bus being present (The next bus predictions are just that.. predictions), and if the bus arrives slightly early, especially if there's multiple arriving at the same time, then you have to fight against the crowds of transfer traffic to head up to the surface and hope you can still catch it.
These stations would more or less operate like Dufferin station where the Crosstown station is just in the middle of the route (buses won't be laying over), where there's likely to be high passenger turnover, and there's still a good chunk of walk-in traffic that need to go on a north-south route without taking the crosstown, and the space really helps.

I believe prior to the renovations at Dufferin Station, the entrances were so small with little thought for the people that need to wait for the bus. While there wasn't as much space to expand on the East side of Dufferin, but the west side (transfer to SB buses) was such a relief to have that much more space available to wait, especially during heavy rain/snow events where people would be cramming inside the entrance to get away from the elements.

Technically, a condo could be built overtop these larger entrances still, but the developer would just have to acquire an adjacent property for the condo entrance in conjunction with acquiring air rights to be able to build on top, but it's not like we've never had buildings go on top of stations after they were built (Wellesley and York Mills stations come to mind).

^Call me curmudgeonly, but..... if I can still see orange pylons and construction signs in a photo, then road reconstruction is not "complete".

But there is substantial progress happening, which is very welcome.

- Paul

^Call me curmudgeonly, but..... if I can still see orange pylons and construction signs in a photo, then road reconstruction is not "complete".

But there is substantial progress happening, which is very welcome.

- Paul
In the case of Brentcliffe, it is to guard a left-turn lane that didn't exist prior, and for which the signage still needs to be adjusted/removed.

As someone who passes that intersection every day, I can assure you that it is very welcome that the construction there is finally complete.

Dan

Back