News   Jul 08, 2024
 389     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.1K     7 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 632     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

If duel-gauge then could be shared between the TTC and Metrolinx.
The TTC uses the streetcars for that and wouldn't really want to share with Metrolinx as it could take to long to get it from either one of the barns. The TTC also has a fair number of vehicles that can run on the rails as well as rubber tires already.

So... no grass along the guideway?
Also, does anyone know what's happening with Eglinton Connects? Has the city forgotten about it?

You mean that street refurbishment project between Yonge and Avenue? Pretty sure its ongoing...
No, Eglinton Connects is a vision to revitalize the entire stretch of Eglinton from Mount Dennis to Kennedy. Metrolinx is doing that section and that section only, and also around the new stations. But the city's vision was to eventually transform the entire street.

Avenue station on May 24, 2021:

Northwest Corner:

IMG_0502.jpg
IMG_0503.jpg
IMG_0504.jpg

Northeast Corner:

IMG_0505.jpg
IMG_0506.jpg
IMG_0507.jpg

Last edited:
So... no grass along the guideway?
Also, does anyone know what's happening with Eglinton Connects? Has the city forgotten about it?

When I was out on the above ground portion I did note a fair bit of new curb had been poured. It looked like they were close to repaving. That’s far from the Eglinton Connects plan, but it’s at least restoration of a clean tidy streetscape.

I wonder what will become of the umpteen thousand construction pylons, all stamped with “Crosslinx Transit Solutions” logos.

Collectors’ items, maybe?

- Paul

Needless to say eventually ML is going to have to grade separate the line from the DVP to Kennedy as ridership climbs and the at-grade portion simply won't be able to run as frequently. Keeping that in mind..............question............will the underground portal into Kennedy have a side closed track? What I mean is like Edmonton when they built the original underground downtown section they built in a side tunnel rail entry foreseeing the day that the Metro line would eventually be built. This allowed the Metro line connection to merge into the main corridor without any disruption to the current running line. The section was only about 20 meters but saved them gobs of money and especially disruption further down the road.

Any plans for this or would it make far too much sense?

Needless to say eventually ML is going to have to grade separate the line from the DVP to Kennedy as ridership climbs and the at-grade portion simply won't be able to run as frequently. Keeping that in mind..............question............will the underground portal into Kennedy have a side closed track? What I mean is like Edmonton when they built the original underground downtown section they built in a side tunnel rail entry foreseeing the day that the Metro line would eventually be built. This allowed the Metro line connection to merge into the main corridor without any disruption to the current running line. The section was only about 20 meters but saved them gobs of money and especially disruption further down the road.

I see no reason why that would be the case. Where would a spur track go if anywhere? North-South is covered by Stouffville, NorthEast and SouthWest is covered by Line 2, and Line 5 will be extended East. There is no reason to build a siding because there is no place for a spur line to go (there is absolutely nothing South East).

I could be wrong, but I think the idea is that you include a pocket track parallel to the ramp but continuing at the grade of the underground section (just on the other side of one of the retaining wall). Otherwise if/when a decision to tunnel a new set of tracks is made you're forced to cut off the existing portal leaving no other way to run service on the line until the whole thing is complete.

If the underground replacement line never happens you've just got yourself a pocket track that you didn't necessarily need, but if the replacement happens the pocket track would become part of the revenue service line

Sorry to say this, but there's a 0 percent chance the at-grade section will ever be grade separated in the future. Whats done is done, the most we can get is actual transit priority signalling here.

I'm not talking in 10 years but decades from now. I am also not talking about going underground but rather elevated so the entire line is grade separated. Such a little spur would allow construction of elevated structures going into the tunnel at Kennedy without any disruption to the current service.

Sorry to say this, but there's a 0 percent chance the at-grade section will ever be grade separated in the future. Whats done is done, the most we can get is actual transit priority signalling here.
I wouldn't say that. With Eglinton West being fully grade separated, and the demand for the line projected to rapidly increase to the point where capacity becomes a major issue, the at grade segment will quickly become a massive thorn in the side of the line - preventing the line from running high frequencies or consistent service. I wouldn't be surprised if 10-15 years from now there isn't a push to either grade separate that section, or Sunnybrooke park gets separated with there being a linear transfer across Science Center station.

Back