News   May 03, 2024
 564     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 356     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 201     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Woah, an automated system drives the trains in the yard, until the TTC operator takes over? That's basically Tesla's summons mode for a train. That is so cool
In fact an automated system will be used from Mount Dennis to Laird with drivers in the cab monitoring. It's like a GOA2 system. Then drivers take over and drive the trains at Laird to Kennedy. Opposite way around westward.

In fact an automated system will be used from Mount Dennis to Laird with drivers in the cab monitoring. It's like a GOA2 system. Then drivers take over and drive the trains at Laird to Kennedy. Opposite way around westward.

You mean operators take over at the large bunching of lrts at Laird.

Cant wait to watch this clusterf%&k unfold.

Might be the one time I agree with the yuppies and millennials at BlogTO, but for sure! The seating arrangement on the Flexities is not good! I know it's because the equipment below the seats but like, the anti-social in you will hate it...

Since the Citadis has the same 4 person arrangement, I expected lots of complaining here with ours, but people seem fine with it. I swear the Citadis has slightly more leg room in the pod, but until they start running on Finch it's hard to do a side by side comparison.

Isn't Line 1 already partly under automatic control, especially to line up with the platform markings? Which means the ATO stops the train at some stations. So the switch between operator and ATO should seem to be seamless.

See link.

The decals were first introduced in April at the Bloor-Yonge station. Green said they intend to keep rolling them out at other high volume stations in the near future.

Expanding them across the TTC will be time consuming, Green said, since only some stations have the “automatic train control signal system,” which allows trains to stop at a predetermined place on the platform.

At most stations, drivers have to stop the train manually, making it difficult to line up the doors with the decals once the train has stopped.

platform-20decals-0.jpg

Last edited:
Woah, an automated system drives the trains in the yard, until the TTC operator takes over? That's basically Tesla's summons mode for a train. That is so cool
It isn't that futurist as you think. Many systems around the world drives themselves with directions from the control centre. Antenna and transponders give very accurate feedback so there isn't much AI involved. A road vehicle on the other hand doesn't have this accurate feedback. That needs a lot more prediction and uncertainty. An automated car would need to detect things in the way while these LRVs will almost certainly run over anyone on the yard tracks. So they aren't intelligent at all.

It isn't that futurist as you think. Many systems around the world drives themselves with directions from the control centre. Antenna and transponders give very accurate feedback so there isn't much AI involved. A road vehicle on the other hand doesn't have this accurate feedback. That needs a lot more prediction and uncertainty. An automated car would need to detect things in the way while these LRVs will almost certainly run over anyone on the yard tracks. So they aren't intelligent at all.

Anyone know if the TTC be using similar ATO technology to control trains in the yard?

@smallspy

Davisville Yard
Greenwood Yard
Wilson Yard
Vincent Yard

Roncesvalles Carhouse

Line 5 EMSF, and Finch MSF.

Why such a precious name for LRT yards? The whole thing is too fussy. No wonder it costs so much per km.

Davisville Yard
Greenwood Yard
Wilson Yard
Vincent Yard

Roncesvalles Carhouse

Line 5 EMSF, and Finch MSF.

Why such a precious name for LRT yards? The whole thing is too fussy. No wonder it costs so much per km.
Just Metrolinx weirdness. Personally I just refer to Line 5 EMSF as "Mount Dennis Yard" and Finch MSF as "Finch Yard" and I would like to think that is what will become the colloquial terminology for the yards after they open.

Just Metrolinx weirdness. Personally I just refer to Line 5 EMSF as "Mount Dennis Yard" and Finch MSF as "Finch Yard" and I would like to think that is what will become the colloquial terminology for the yards after they open.

I would like to see the "Mount Dennis Yard" be the "Kodak Yard". We'll see what develops.

Back