Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Off-topic but this is an overkill amount of lanes for anyone to cross Kipling Avenue. Why??

Because Etobicoke is the Land of the Auto.

This cries for entrances to the station from all four corners of the intersection. The number of pedestrian crossings to access the LRT and/or transfer to surface transportation is significant.

This is literally a killing zone… I’m not being hyperbolic, pedestrian safety is very poor..

- Paul

Perhaps a pair of those could be use as bus only lanes?
Is Kipling getting widened? Or did they mislabel the right turn lanes as through lanes? Pretty sure the north side only has two receiving lanes as well.. perhaps that's being modified.

If the passengers will have to cross the street transferring to the station from the bus stop (because they don't want a secondary entrance on the opposite side), then they MUST put in refugee islands (with beg buttons) instead of the current useless "safety" island.

Looks like we will have to cross the Eglinton West LRT (Etobicoke) intersections to reach an entrance to the stations. All the intersections NEED to have pedestrian refugee islands with "beg" buttons (radar detection would be better).

Pedestrian refuge islands are raised median islands that provide a location for pedestrians to safely wait for a gap in the traffic so they can finish crossing the road. This makes crossing the road easier for pedestrians by allowing them to cross in two stages and deal with one direction of traffic flow at a time.

Pedestrian refuge islands should ideally be at least 1.8 metres wide (narrow refuge islands put pedestrians at risk of being hit by truck side mirrors). A width of at least 2.4m will further facilitate usage by wheelchair users.

Multi-stage crossings would be better. In a multistage crossing, pedestrians cross to an island, and then wait there for a WALK signal there to resume crossing, to the other side, repeating the process until the crossing is finished.
medianrefugeisland_parking_3d_0.jpg

Last edited:
North west corner of Islington and Eglinton:
View attachment 435100
Note the lack of space for a pedestrian, cyclist, or wheelchair at the so-called "safety" island. No "beg" buttons, if they get caught on the narrow island, which was created for the almighty automobile, and everything else is an afterthought.
1666818949125.png

2m+ wide refugee islands are needed at each large AND small intersections. Because of the penny-pinching non-transit users are designing the extension, we will not have entrances placed at each corner of the intersections. Incorporate vision zero elements in the Eglinton West LRT extension NOW.

Last edited:
Not to mention we allow turning right on red. The car is king, screw everyone else!
Right-turns-on-red were not permitted on North American streets until the 1970s when the OPEC oil crisis led all U.S. states to allow them as a means of helping drivers conserve gas. Despite the oil crisis, cities like New York and Montreal kept their pre-existing bans in place at most (but not all) intersections, though they remained noted outliers. Ontario amended its Highway Traffic Act to permit RTOR in 1984.

Permitting rights on red increases pedestrian crashes by 60 percent and bike crashes by 100 percent, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety found in the 1980s. See link.

Last edited:
Is Kipling getting widened? Or did they mislabel the right turn lanes as through lanes? Pretty sure the north side only has two receiving lanes as well.. perhaps that's being modified.
Good catch. Looks like those are right turn/bus pocket lanes, with bus stops at nearside and farside.
In that case, it's a standard configuration - 2 through lanes, 1 right turn lane(through lane for bus), 1 left turn lane.

If the passengers will have to cross the street transferring to the station from the bus stop (because they don't want a secondary entrance on the opposite side), then they MUST put in refugee islands (with beg buttons) instead of the current useless "safety" island.
Refugees trapped on an island with a "beg button" sounds bleak. Maybe we could have refuge islands instead? ;)

Because Etobicoke is the Land of the Auto.

This cries for entrances to the station from all four corners of the intersection. The number of pedestrian crossings to access the LRT and/or transfer to surface transportation is significant.

This is literally a killing zone… I’m not being hyperbolic, pedestrian safety is very poor..

- Paul
Why is everyone so alarmist? Who would think a major atrial road that leads to the highway has many lanes, in an area with ZERO north south rapid transit. If anyone pushed for a kipling LRT people here would ironically rally against it.

There has been no pedestrian or cyclist collision at Kipling and Eglinton back to 2008. (Oldest data I could get)

The only fatal collision I saw on kipling within several major intersections was a mid block crossing at night.

Capture.JPG

Why is everyone so alarmist? Who would think a major atrial road that leads to the highway has many lanes, in an area with ZERO north south rapid transit. If anyone pushed for a kipling LRT people here would ironically rally against it.

There has been no pedestrian or cyclist collision at Kipling and Eglinton back to 2008. (Oldest data I could get)

The only fatal collision I saw on kipling within several major intersections was a mid block crossing at night.

View attachment 435219
I crossed Kipling/Eglinton numerous times in the last decade and a half. I never felt unsafe as there is limited right turning traffic. There isn't any dedicated right turn lane on Eglinton which makes it safer than most major roads in the area. Most people go straight unlike one block west. Martin Grove/Eglinton is another story. Cars are always trying to get on the highway and would run you over if you don't look.

Crossing midblock on Kipling can be safely accomplish. There is usually big gaps which allow people to cross. Although barely any would do that. There isn't that much pedestrian traffic on Kipling. On Eglinton, everyone must cross at a designated crossing as there is no gap. It's pretty much a death sentence to even attempt during most daylight hours.

Off-topic but this is an overkill amount of lanes for anyone to cross Kipling Avenue. Why??
View attachment 434884
This is typical of this area I'm sure you are aware. I live down the road a bit. West of Kipling here about 1k you can enter exit HWY 401,427, 27 and traffic coming from Eglinton Avenue. About 3km north is HWY 409/401 and 5km south is Etobicoke centre. It's a busy intersection for sure. Most of the lanes are turn lanes and there is a proper protected bike path on the south side of Eglinton with lights. And I'm guessing the 45 and 945 on Kipling are going o become a major transfer at this station. Would be nice to see an entrance on the south side though for the reason you cite! Or maybe an all way crossing.

We’re in Canada. The SUV is king. Actually in this area it’s the Ford family Escalade that is king.
They heard from the auto people and will be putting in TWO left turn lanes from eastbound Eglinton to northbound Martin Grove Road.

From link.
8da4-vertical-Winterton-to-Eglinton-scaled-e1650556393850.jpg

They should be putting in refugee islands for the pedestrians for all the intersections. However, it looks like they will only be for the Eglinton lanes, nothing for the the Martin Grove lanes. Hopefully the Eglinton refugee island is 2+ m wide to allow for wheelchairs, but the image looks like the current "safety" islands of 1m width.

Eight (8) lanes for Eglinton, six (6) lanes for Martin Grove for the almighty automobile, while pedestrians get 1 m using the "safety" island.

Last edited:

Back