Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

It’s eventually the plan. The Mississauga Transitway was designed to be converted to LRT. I'm not sure they would run as the same service though.
Yes it can fit. But there’s only one lane. So the lrt will have to navigate the transit way with busses.

Yes it can fit. But there’s only one lane. So the lrt will have to navigate the transit way with busses.
My understanding is that if there was an LRT conversion, buses would no longer use the Transitway, they would terminate at the ends and at stations and riders would have to transfer on and off the LRT

However, navigating with buses is not an LRT, it would just operate more like an on-street streetcar in that case.

My understanding is that if there was an LRT conversion, buses would no longer use the Transitway, they would terminate at the ends and at stations and riders would have to transfer on and off the LRT

However, navigating with buses is not an LRT, it would just operate more like an on-street streetcar in that case.
Doesn’t go also use the transit way. So that would mean it’s not going to happen.

The Ottawa light rail line was a replacement for a BRT. So just be very careful when Mississauga does the same.
The problem is that the transit way not only connects with eglinton lrt but to the subway. If the transit way was converted but we couldn’t get to Kipling I’m not sure that’s a win.

The problem is that the transit way not only connects with eglinton lrt but to the subway. If the transit way was converted but we couldn’t get to Kipling I’m not sure that’s a win.
Both the Mississauga LRT replacement for the BRT, AND the Toronto Line 5, will end up at the Pearson Transit Hub. See this thread..

41673-138036.jpg
From link.

Wanted to give a quick update on the tunneling progression of Renny and Rexy.

Screenshot_20230502-132548.png

Rexy is approaching Kipling-Eglinton station, while Renny passed Kipling and is approaching the emergency exit Bemersyde.

I think I read somewhere that the tunneling is more than halfway done. I think we're coming close to the time when we award the contracts for the station. Martin Grove has been sitting empty for months now, waiting for the station box digging to start.

The Ottawa light rail line was a replacement for a BRT. So just be very careful when Mississauga does the same.

I hope Mississauga would do that as keeping buses on the transitway would disqualify any Line 5 extension along it as a "subway".

Those stations would have crazy wide platforms though with the platform lane becoming part of a widened platform if that happened.

Last edited:
I hope Mississauga would do that as keeping buses on the transitway would disqualify any Line 5 extension along it as a "subway".

Those stations would have crazy wide platforms though with the platform lane becoming part of a widened platform if that happened.
Line 5 as subway would be crazy

There is an argument to be made to keeping the transitway available for express busses after an LRT conversion. The express GO busses to the airport will almost always be faster than a transit connection and can use the passing lanes in the stations to pass stopped LRVs.

Back