Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

In a way, Line 4 functions as a light metro today. Although it could be easily reconfigured to do a heavy metro's job, if the demand for that existed.
That's an interesting definition. Crush loading on a Line 4 trains is 972 people. That's as much as crush loading on many lines that are considered heavy rail, and gives a total capacity of near 39,000 an hour - well probably not, as you can't run trains every 90 seconds at crush loading. But still!

By this definition, some of the tube lines in London are also "light rail or light metro" (perhaps even most of the deep tube lines).

"World's most expensive non fully-separated rapid transit line"
That works. At the same time I could call the H&M in the New York City World Trade centre the most expensive clothes store in the world.

I believe though, that the operational word will be "subway".

"World's most expensive non fully-separated rapid transit line"
"World's most expensive non fully-separated """"rapid"""" transit line"

"World's most expensive non fully-separated """"rapid"""" transit line"
It's as rapid as parts of Line 2.

The 11.3 km section from Kennedy to Eglinton-Yonge on Line 5 is 26 minutes.

The 11.0 km section from Bloor-Yonge to Kipling on Line 2 is also 26 minutes (which is optimistic in my mind, given how long I always seem to spend sitting from Islington to Kennedy).

The major difference in speed on Line 5 is the number of stations. Not the grade separation. Drop 3 or 4 stations in Scarborough and it becomes even more competitive.

From Eglinton-Yonge to Mount Dennis the travel time is only 12 minutes for the 7.4 km. Meanwhile the 7.2 km on Line 1 from St. Clair West to Dundas station takes 16 minutes! Again, it's the number of stations that's the key difference.

If Line 5 isn't rapid transit, neither are Line 1 and Line 2 downtown.

Last edited:
1661733929636.png

Can somebody explain to me the purpose of this ramp?
For cars leaving the DVP... to immediately get back on the DVP?

It's as rapid as parts of Line 2.

The 11.3 km section from Kennedy to Eglinton-Yonge on Line 5 is 26 minutes.

The 11.0 km section from Bloor-Yonge to Kipling on Line 2 is also 26 minutes (which is optimistic in my mind, given how long I always seem to spend sitting from Islington to Kennedy).

The major difference in speed on Line 5 is the number of stations. Not the grade separation. Drop 3 or 4 stations in Scarborough and it becomes even more competitive.

From Eglinton-Yonge to Mount Dennis the travel time is only 12 minutes for the 7.4 km. Meanwhile the 7.2 km on Line 1 from St. Clair West to Dundas station takes 16 minutes! Again, it's the number of stations that's the key difference.

If Line 5 isn't rapid transit, neither are Line 1 and Line 2 downtown.
Line 1 and Line 2 are servicing the CBD of the city, in an incredibly dense area, some of the highest density neighborhoods in the country both by population and jobs. The eastern portion of the line is servicing suburban sprawl power centers and parking lots (yes this will become condos eventually but even with condos, the density of both people and jobs along the golden mile will hardly compare to the density in the downtown core.

torontoavgdensity4ro0-gif.37923

Line 1 and Line 2 are servicing the CBD of the city, in an incredibly dense area, some of the highest density neighborhoods in the country both by population and jobs. The eastern portion of the line is servicing suburban sprawl power centers and parking lots (yes this will become condos eventually but even with condos, the density of both people and jobs along the golden mile will hardly compare to the density in the downtown core.

torontoavgdensity4ro0-gif.37923

I mean, @nfitz compared the Bloor-Yonge to Kipling section with the Eglinton-Yonge to Kennedy section. No one in their right mind would say the Line 2 between Kipling to around Dundas-West station to be downtown or CBD (Central Business District). Also, proven if you take a closer look at the density map you've conveniently added to your post.

In fact, when the Line 2 was under construction in 1966 (till Keele), 1968 (till Islington), and 1980 (till Kipling), the density around the stations would have been more akin to how the Golden Mile is right now. We are giving very similar style of transit service to the Golden Mile area as we have already in the Line 2 area in Etobicoke. 26 minutes to get to the Line 1 interchange.

The downtown section is slower because all those stations are required to service the more dense area. But ultimately, Eglinton crosstown will be just as fast from Kennedy to Eglinton-Yonge as the Line 2 is from Kipling to Bloor-Yonge. And no one calls Line 2 as a failure.

Line 1 and Line 2 are servicing the CBD of the city, in an incredibly dense area, some of the highest density neighborhoods in the country both by population and jobs.
All true - and I'd favour removing a couple of those stops in Scarborough.

Though my point was about it being rapid transit. The local land use doesn't change the rapidity of the vehicle which is similar to the other subway lines.

Nice map - but it's now from 4 censuses ago - it would be nice to see an update - along with both the destinations, and a combined O-D map - and the 2041 estimates.

Downtown will likely always be denser, but there's a lot of construction along Eglinton East now.

Line 5 West TBM progress update plus a sneaky preview of the future Airport extension alignment from Metrolinx Board Meeting documents.

View attachment 424382

Great find!

I really wished they put an interactive TBM tracker map on the website.

The alignment to Pearson seems different on this map than what is in the Design Plates for the Eglinton West extension. The design calls for the line to veer onto Commerce Blvd itself and you can see it here:

1662056246047.png

Not sure which one is accurate.

Great find!

The alignment to Pearson seems different on this map than what is in the Design Plates for the Eglinton West extension. The design calls for the line to veer onto Commerce Blvd itself and you can see it here:

View attachment 424398

I’d say the newer map is probably right. Both the Feds and Province have invested tens of millions on planning this extension, and I assume the “new alignment” is a result of that work.

Someone close to me went to a public consultation in person for Eglinton West and they had a map posted with the current project, but (clearly accidentally) had station dots and labels for airport extension stations. Matheson (at Explorer), Convair, and YYZ were on it.

Last edited:
Great find!

View attachment 424398

The plan has been for years of building a bridge over the 401 for Commerce Blvd to get to Pearson as an BRT/LRT route. Design plate is confirming that plan. Once on the north side of the 401 for the LRT, it unknow how it will connect to the airport at this time, but the BRT will connect to terminal 1.

Only once a real plan and construction of a new transit hub at the airport, will we know how the LRT will connect to the hub as well other lines.

Back