Toronto Crosstown Community | 135.02m | 44s | Aspen Ridge | Sweeny &Co

At first blush, I'm not taken with this design.

My objections:

1) Play equipment looks dull; and playground area small. Choose! If planning for playground do it well. Kids like conventional swings, full-sized climbing equipment, merry-go-rounds/spinners, regular/tube slides etc etc.
Very little of that here.

2) I didn't see anything about a noise mitigation plan; Eglinton is loud, while the park is above it, I would expect some pretty heavy noise infiltration. I would have chose to go heavy on the trees, including conifers on the Eglinton side, with a look-out that curves out so you can dampen noise, but see a skyline shot of the area.

3) The never-ending ramp to Eglinton. I understand and support accessibility. But I'm hard-pressed to envision why most people would arrive to this park from the south, south-west (nearest residence is well over 1km away on Leslie). Residents arriving from the north or south-east would not use this access point. I can think of only one reason to go down to Eglinton here, given that the transit station will be back at the corner with Don Mills, reachable without walking up/down a big hill; to access Sunnybrook/ET Seton. But with a proposed pedestrian link to the Don Mills Trail, this one is rather cumbersome. At any rate, if one is going to put an access on this side, it should include a staircase to cut travel time (stick a bike channel alongside it too). This idea was well showcased by U of T with their UTSC Valley Access to Highland Creek.

4) I'd love to hear the rationale for the amphitheater design. That sucks up a lot of space; but it only seems to afford a view of a small, un-exciting play area. There doesn't seem to be a vision for any active programming. Alternatively, if you were affording this for people to have a view; the most interesting views here would be to the south-west with skyline views and possibly the pond below the Science Centre; that would see the amphitheater on the opposite side.

5) The open lawn, I'm all for open space if it's meant to do something. But this lawn area is small, and comparatively un-adorned, I don't see it as ideal for picnics, or sunning one's self; nor is it large enough to be a good informal play area.
Where are you going to hide for the game of hide and seek?

Last edited:
I have heard the fourth building will be launching for sales in the first week of June. The one that I have circled red. Important to note the completion date for the first 3 buildings and this one will be the same as they are being built on the same foundation and share the same basement/garage.
IMG_0441.jpg

I have heard the fourth building will be launching for sales in the first week of June. The one that I have circled red. Important to note the completion date for the first 3 buildings and this one will be the same as they are being built on the same foundation and share the same basement/garage.View attachment 313600

That's...a lot of townhomes...

It's not going to be anything spectacular, but they seemed to have gotten in right with the community centre and hopefully some retail?

The Celestica building was better in person than in photos. The brick is a nice colour and has some variation; the massing and details are also interesting. From today:

View attachment 316892View attachment 316893View attachment 316894View attachment 316895View attachment 316896View attachment 316897View attachment 316898View attachment 316899

View attachment 316890View attachment 316891
It seems as though the south east corner of the project is moving at a quicker pace then the south west corner where the 3 crosstown condos are the mid-rise Curve building are.

Crosstown Community will be only a couple minutes walk to the Ontario Line (direct train to downtown in less than 20 minutes) from the Don Mills and Eglinton Intersection. This project's prices will soar now that this is pretty much a done deal. This is the only approved development currently in progress on the northern part of the line that is only a couple minutes walk to the station (i.e. Flemo, Science Centre, Thorncliffe, Cosburn). By late 2022 the EGLRT will transport residents to Line 1 from Sunnybrook Park (Leslie) to Eglinton station fully grade separated in 12 minutes. By 2030 we will have a line spanning across the city from Scarbrough to Pearson and as well Crosstown to Exhibition. This will become the next mini Bloor / Yonge.

Congratulations to all the Crosstown Condo Investors who gambled in early 2019! You have been rewarded today.

Last edited:

Don Mills group looking to appeal judgment on local community centre

June 3, 2021

A Don Mills residents group is considering appealing a court judgment that would halt its efforts to force the city and developer Cadillac Fairview to build a community centre in the heart of Don Mills, as all parties originally agreed a decade ago.

The Hon. J.E. Ferguson of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice ruled yesterday in favour of the City of Toronto and C/F Realty Holdings, who agreed between themselves to build instead a larger, regional facility a kilometre south on the former site of IBM Canada and Celestica Inc. — to be known as the Celestica Recreation Centre.

Don Mills Residents, Inc., which applied for an injunction against the revised development, could not be considered a party to the agreements and its request was dismissed, the judge wrote in the decision.

--------
The facility on the Celestica site, as approved by council, is to be 125,000 square feet — nearly three times the size originally planned for the Don Mills Community Centre — and include a twin-pad arena, a multi-tank aquatic facility, a full-size gymnasium with walking track, and a multi-purpose and amenity space.

City staff justified it to council on the grounds that the Don Mills corridor is expected to grow quickly with about three quarters of the new residents concentrated at the intersection of Don Mills and Eglinton, partly due to construction of the Eglinton Crosstown LRT.

Will leave to the mods to decide whether discussions about the future Don Mills CRC should remain in this thread or otherwise:

Don Mills Community Recreation Centre

The City is building a new Community Recreation Centre (CRC) in the Don Mills corridor communities, located at 844 Don Mills Rd. Opens in new window, near the intersection of Eglinton Avenue East and Don Mills Road. This facility and the new park that will be developed beside the CRC, were secured by the City as part of the approval of the Celestica development proposal in June 2018.

Project Timeline

• Fall 2021: Hire a design team
  • Winter to Summer 2022: Community engagement and design development
  • Summer 2022 to Summer 2023: Detailed design
  • Fall 2023: Hire a construction team
  • Winter 2024: Construction starts
  • Spring 2026: Construction complete, Community Recreation Centre opens
The timeline is subject to change.

A new Community Recreation Centre (CRC) is coming to the Don Mills community, near the intersection of Eglinton Avenue East and Don Mills Road.

This large, integrated, and multi-component facility will offer the diverse and growing communities of the Don Mills Corridor and beyond a range of year-round programs and services. Located at the former Celestica Lands site at 844 Don Mills Rd., the new CRC will be next to a new large park and all within walking distance of a planned Eglinton Crosstown Light Rail Transit (ECLRT) station and is part of the ongoing implementation of the Parks and Recreation Facilities Master Plan.

The proposed CRC will include:

• An indoor twin ice pad arena / multi-use indoor sports field
  • A large indoor lap and leisure pool
  • A double gymnasium
  • Multi-use community and activity spaces

donmi.JPG

Back