Toronto Couture The Condominium | ?m | 42s | Philmor | Graziani + Corazza

I don't recall any retail plans for Couture. There is for X2, perhaps that's what your thinking?

I spoke to a worker on site months ago and he mentioned there was going to be retail in Couture. I did hear some rumblings about it from other people as well, but I guess that was all wishful thinking. I feel as though it's a lost opportunity, much like the fact there's no retail in X (which Great Gulf was beating their heads over - at least that's what I heard).

Looking at the ground level plan it appears to be missing space, so there could be some retail in there. If X had have been designed differently it could have offered one or two retail spaces but I'm glad it doesn't, I love the look of the building without it. I think that X2 presents better opportunities for retail what with the lowrise section at Jarvis and the tower set back further west.

Agreed, but given the influx of residents into the immediate neighbourhood a couple of key shops to serve them would be in order, like perhaps a Rabba. I remember when there was a Beckers or a Mac's milk where X2 is going up, before the Pizza Pizza office was built.

If they're topping out like this, it doesn't appear they'll be staggering the tops into three levels. I wonder if it's going to be only the middle sections that will be sticking up.

13 March 2012:

004zzg.jpg

Uptown is the star of this photo

Looks like the oldest building in the pic...
I have always loved this tower.... its silhouette, is so thin and classic era, and in gray, or low lite, its low quality finish, (going by what you all say, as I have never been up close, but even I do not like cheap precast) is unnoticeable.... LOVE the pic great work! :cool:

Looking forward to seeing some windows lit up!

Last edited by a moderator:
To see Uptown in person is a whole other matter, it's not good. The oldest highrise in that photo is the Manulife Centre apartment building which opened in 1974, just left of centre in the photo.

Rochdale (now Senator David A. Croll Apartments) opened its doors in 1969, beating Manulife by almost 5 years. 720 Spadina also beat it by a year (c. 1973), though that's a bit more negligible.

Ah ya, I see them. Probably the apartments on St. Mary that I think I see in there too, and others. Point well taken :)

Indeed, there are a few late 60's / early 70's gems lurking in the background. I'm not sure of the date on 25 St. Mary (eg. La Place Marie) but I believe 33 Isabella (Isabella Court) (which seems to be peering over the top of La Place Marie) is just beyond our cutoff (c. 1975 I believe). It's remarkable that at one point the spires atop Storm's Victoria College would have been the tallest things around.

(Also, 8,000 even - congrats Mr. geek!)

Back